1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    I might be able to help (well by proxy at least) if that doesn't work out. Let us know how it goes.
  2. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's just paranoia, they all vibrate :rofl The throttle settings might need tweeking again now that it's ben "run in"...

Sounds like you have a habit of breaking things on the Odlins track:lol3
  3. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Thats not very nice now is it?

Thanks for the offer - its much appreciated

yup my vote is for paranoia

Odlins is a bad track cause you hit a good bit and go faster (if you call second gear faster....) and then suddenly you aren’t in a good bit any-more and somethings broken.

The more I mull this over the more I think that if I can't strengthen this area significantly then I won't keep the bike. If I get uptight everytime I tap a rock then there isn't much fun in riding offroad.

There are a couple of aftermarket solutions but I'm sure that they will be wallet rapingly expensive

we shall see
  4. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    But possibly true. You took a bike that you'd only just got up of the harshest tracks available here...possibly you should have made sure the bike was running well, got the tyres & the sump sorted before the ride etc?
    There is quite a bit of mass there. The low sump didn't help. I'm not sure that the way that the bashplate was modified up would have helped with its strength (i.e. it wasn't welded all the way round, the side would have allowed for a bit of flex, & Bobs your mothers brother.
    Odlins Track in its current condition is at the far end of what I would take Gus thru'. You have to ask if (with the same impact) the KLR might have sustained the same damage.
    That said, your issues have made me look at the Bashplate on Gus a little more closely.
  5. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Well Mark, if its any comfort to you I have taken my GS over Maugatapu,Porika,pram track,Odlins,Fishers,42nd, Old Whanga Road, and a few others and have had no more significant bashplate issues than with the KLR.

I wouldn't stress.

Edit,, Didn't do Odlins due to ferry delay.
  6. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Snap............
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if it's worth looking at 6mm alloy plate, should provide a bit more impact protection without adding too much extra weight? Maybe I could fold something up at work...
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes. The issue for Mark was a load at a point. I think the stock plate is 3 - 4 mm thick, & its fairly clear that bends. It relies on stamped folds in the metal to space the bashplate out from the sump. That give a bit of wiggle room in a hard smack.

Here is a plan to make a PD bash plate replica

I liked Beemsters idea to counter the bend potential of the stock PD plate.

I've also thought about a rally bashplate. This gets away from a cast sump, with the four attachment points cast in. The issue I struggle with (however) is that this leaves the headers exposed (albeit that the Hardhead Guards cover this off to an extent). I think Igor has this on his Battle Panda, so perhaps he could comment on that.

The final option is to create something like Prutser's bike, where the mounting points come down from the engine mounting points, instead of relying on the sump mounts. He left a 4mm air gap between the plate & the bottom of the sump to allow for airflow & some movement in the plate.
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, should save some time.

[/QUOTE]I liked Beemsters idea to counter the bend potential of the stock PD plate.[/QUOTE]
    I do like this line of thought. Instead of bending something up, the spacer can just be an alloy bar welded in...

[/QUOTE]I've also thought about a rally bashplate. [/QUOTE]
    Back to lowering the ground clearance... Yeah nah

[/QUOTE]The final option is to create something like Prutser's bike[/QUOTE]
    My god, you could just about float on this one. A bit more techy than I'm prepared to put into it.
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yup, thought about doing that just as a spacer on Gus's original bash plate.
    That might be practical for Mark (in fact I think he's already thinking along those lines). He already has the spacer. Just needs the bottom plate. It replaces the whole of the sump, so same ground clearance as the stock sump, just much stronger. :D

Postscript: Just seen the SWT Sports Rally Bash Plate version. That's 8mm thick
  11. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Yes the rally sump idea is what I am thinking about trying

I suppose, when you think about it, I have done worse on Odlins Rd....

[​IMG]
  12. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Holy shit! That's outrageous! Who taped your indicator up like that!

:lol3
  13. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    I'm happy with mine, and it's taken more than a few hard hits. It doesn't quite have the ground clearance as the HPN version, since that one angles back to follow the line of the frame, rather than the engine. But it's no worse than the original, if not better.

People often express concern that it's vulnerable, but that's a pretty stout plate on there.

I actually have a spare, earmarked for the Purple One, but I could be persuaded to let it go.
  14. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I quite like thes ones from Boxer Supplies

[​IMG]
  15. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definately some bling factor in there. Mounted my "bigger is better" bash plate today. Might have to make minor alterations to stop it ringing so loudly.
  16. Kiwi Bush Rider

Kiwi Bush Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, in hindsight - overfilling the sump was probably a good thing as it ensured the two joins (it has an extension to sit the pickup at the bottom of the deep sump) were immersed in oil. the pickup mounting bolts where still good and tight - they were just a bitch to get out because they had bent...

The bike did seem to vibrate a lot riding home but that could just be rampant paranoia setting in....[/QUOTE]I take it that diesel engine oil that 4x4 guy had at the saddle got you home Ha Ha:rofl I was on the ktm going into the hut
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yup. His oil loss wasn't as fast as we'd feared, but was still an issue.

How did the KTM go? Did you still have that issue with the bike cutting out? Solved that yet? I thought afterwards I wondered if that might also be some sort of vapour lock rather than a straight electrical issue. Does it start on the button or do you need to kick it?
  18. Kiwi Bush Rider

Kiwi Bush Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep did it a couple more times on the way out I've only just come out of there today in the pouring rain the tracks turned into a river
    It starts on the button ok only after 5mins rest Its loseing spark when it's hot
    I it's bloody annoying back to the bike shop for him to figure out
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The other place that might help is a good auto electrician. Most bike shops aren't that good with electrics.
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    How ironic. Gus is laid up with an electrical short. The battery is flat. So much for riding today....:shog