The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Been looking at the Alpha beancans. Plug and play with digital control and no need to mess with the wiring like the crank trigger ones, but the exchange rate is puckering at the moment. Ass.
  2. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3 Pins Yes Battery Positive, Battery Negative & trigger / signal wire.
    Easily replaced in those bean cans. Available from Jay Car about $40 each.

WR
  3. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    SUTHERLANDS HUT RIDE (AORANGI FOREST PARK) 19/7/15.
    Dazzadm had posted he was down in Wellington for a conference Saturday & was keen to ride Sutherlands Hut Track on the Sunday after.

Mark_S & ManakauKTM both posted that while they couldn’t ride the track, they were keen to come over to the carpark, then they’d head off on another backroad blitz.

Funny how a weather bomb the night before changes plans.

Anyways, the morning of the ride dawned better than forecast, the winds were abating, albeit there was some doubt as to whether the Rimutakas would be open. A quick check on the traffic camera on the summit. It had indeed snowed at the summit, but some traffic was flowing, so I figured I’d be golden.

The night before, I’d swapped out the ignition bean can on Gus, to a spare that was a little more water resistant, given my experience on the North Range Rd ride. I’d also swapped some of my gear for stuff more winter rated. And dressed like a Michelin man.

Left home a ¼ hr early & arrived at Martinborough a ¼ hr late, so not a fast trip across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Met DazzaDM & his daughter Heather at the Village Café, & settled in with a latte & cheese & herb scone.

Didn’t clear the café until after 11.00am.

The road out to the Aorangi Forest Park was in really good condition, the earlier rain had only improved grip. Heather should have some Go Pro footage of that in due course. But after the hunting lodge the track was snowed over. There were no signs of any traffic, but there were some footprints which indicated some trampers may have walked in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the carpark, DazzaDM stashed his panniers in the bush, so that he didn’t need to lug those in with him.

[​IMG]

The first obstacle was the big mud bogs at the entrance of the track (the diversion around this has been closed off). Fortunately part of this has been drained & it wasn’t as big of a challenge as it at first appeared.

We had snow on the track for about 1/3 of the descent to the first stream, with some snow flurries coming in on the way down. Fortunately these weren’t sticking.

The track itself was in pretty good nick, but there were some deep erosion ruts in places where the water run off had scoured things out. You needed to be on the right line to get past some of these (especially give the Boxers propensity to belly out).

I had to stop part way down to attend to a small heated grip fire. I hadn’t replaced this since the NIIS (3) – just shifted the grip. Guess it’s replacement time.

I’d checked the ‘indicator’ stream (with bridge & ford on the road on the way in), & that didn’t seemed too high, so was fairly confident that the stream would be okay. DazzaDM walked the stream anyway, knee deep, so I rode across, & barely got my boots wet. DazzaDM, always the gentleman, made Heather wade it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next stream crossing is in two parts, crossing from the left bank, across to a raised (dry) portion of the stream bed, then back across to the left. Unfortunately the interim portion of the crossing was underwater.

We both struggled on the subsequent crossing with the steep / difficult exit. It’s all very well wading a stream & planning your line, but that quickly goes to shit if you hit unexpected / unseen boulders, or the (swift) current pushes your wheels away from where you wanted to be. Heather & I had to rescue DazzaDM part way up the ascent (stalled & unable to move without dropping it & tumbling back into the stream). I also had to have another attempt at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Deja Vu

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We eventually were stopped by the last crossing, 700 meters from the hut. The stream was rising with snow melt, & the position of a couple of boulders had scoured out part of the crossing so that a portion was mid thigh deep. This potentially would have drowned the Boxers. So we sat on the bank, & ate lunch, & contemplated the day.

[​IMG]

The ride out had its own challenges. On one crossing DazzaDM stopped in a deep portion when the PD bellied out on a large boulder. That allowed water in his carb float bowl breathers, which meant the bike stalled. He dropped the bike at one point. That was good, because it allowed quite a bit of water to exit his muffler.

[​IMG]

I had a similar moment in the midst of a stream crossing, when Gus stopped straddling a boulder. The water was obviously high enough to have affected the bean can plug, & he refused to start (I need to move this higher or find some way to water proof it more).

Some of the deeper crossings also were causing major (temporary) clutch slip. On Boxers the clutch is dry. Water will enter through the bottom of the bell housing. If you pull in the clutch during a water crossing, water will get between the clutch & friction plates. It’s recommended that you don’t pull in the clutch during crossings – but given the conditions I really didn’t have much choice. I understand the Seibenrock oil resistant clutch plate will resolve this.

As we backtracked the stream crossings dropped – we’d obviously come in at near peak flow.

The track back up to the carpark was much better in reverse, as you could pick your lines a lot more easily. DazzaDM still got on the wrong side of one however.

[​IMG]

The snow had also started to melt on the outward leg.

Loaded up the panniers at the carpark, & then showed the guys the start of Longbush Rd, to allow them to head off to Masterton.

I backtracked to Martinborough to air up the front tyre, & off home. Major leg cramps going over the Rimutakas.

Home just on dusk. Did my usual OCD checks through forums & Trademe (once I’d warmed up) & scored a set of 06 YZ250F forks. These have some issues, but were very cheap, & I’ll use these for spares. The same Forks as Gus currently wears (except those are ‘05’s). Pleased.

A great day. The best ride into Sutherlands I’ve done, given the challenges, & the more matched bikes.

[​IMG]

Waypoint 0171 is where we stopped at the last stream crossing. Waypoint 0181 is the carpark (& coincidentally the peak elevation).
    zaTTaz and Te Hopo like this.
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Man you guys are hard core. Well done.
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Hardcore, too stubborn to turn around, or stupid. I'll have to think on which...:hmmmmm
  6. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I thought 05 and 05 yz forks where quite different - that was the change from steel frame to alloy frame

Glad you had a great ride and got back ok

wind chill wasn't too bad??

one day I'll have a bike to join you on rides like this

one day....
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    '04, & '05 model year YZ250F (48mm closed cartridge) forks were the same, except for minor valving changes. Later ones have similar overall structure. The issue is that there aren't any / many 2nd hand examples around for the money I'm prepared to pay. I pick up the forks tonight, so we'll see what issues they have shortly. The SKF fork & dust seals, & new KYB bushes arrived this afternoon (from the States).

There wasn't a lot of wind except at the very start heading to Martinborough, & at the end of the ride heading back to Martinborough.

Any progress over the weekend?
  8. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Looks like a damned awesome day to be out and about, my feet are feeling cold in sympathy at the thought of you three wading streams while snow is on the surrounding hills.
  9. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    a little - started rewiring - I'll post a few photo's on my thread
  10. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report. You make it sound like I wanted to stop in the middle of the river? The boulder under the bashplate had a good grip of me:dunno
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Fixed for you...
  12. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod Cheers
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    ROUND THE BAYS WITH MICHAEL 24/7/15:
    One of the advantages of my current situation is the ability to go for a ride on a fine day. Headed out to do a Makara, & Round the Bays ride with my friend Michael. Lunch at the Bach. Also poked our noses up at Fort Gordon on the Miramar Peninsular. Cell phone pictures, so not quite so crisp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MAINTENANCE:
    Managed to buy some '06 YZ250F forks off Trademe for $150. I knew that these had some damage at the brake / axle portion of the legs, but the descriptions on Tme weren't clear about what was damaged.

The PO tells me that (when he was riding the bike) he noticed fork oil over the front wheel. Then his mate noted he could see the springs & the damper rod. The bottom leg & the axle lugs are normally screwed together, & this is then 'locked in place' with a grub screw (& I assume thread locker). Someone appears to have separated these, & hasn't reassembled them properly.

Here's a photo of the bodge the PO made to repair this damage. It's ruined both the leg & the axle lug. Effectively he was trying to drill through the axle lugs into the lower fork leg to pin it in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought that the forks were the same as the '04 & '05's. As it turns out '06 is the beginning of the SSS forks, so while externally very similar to the '05's, the cartridges are different in the length of the compression damping unit, & also in terms of where the springs are located in the legs. So there is little that can be directly swapped across to Gus.

Fortunately the top portions of the legs are identical to the '05's. When I fitted the '05 bottom legs up to the '06 tops, with new bushes, the slop that I'd previously experienced (& needed to shim out) had gone. Success.

So I have serviced the forks with new KYB bushes, SKF seals, & a 3.75 w oil (50/50 mix of 2.5w & 5.0w Spectro oil). 195mm in the cartridge (it spits out surplus when you burp it), & 220mm in the fork leg. The seals & bushes are ex US - $175, so spendy. But the test ride today seems to show the forks are riding better.

AFTERMATH OF SUTHERLANDS HUT:
    Lovely milky blue final drive oil. Yum.

[​IMG]
    Te Hopo likes this.
  14. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    You need to do the Woodman diff breather mod with an old clutch cable outer. Mine has past/passed the test.

Also how has your mate with the Thruxton got an old school number plate?
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes. It's getting to the stage I need to do something.
    Pretty sure he stripped the white plate & repainted it, to get the 'look'.

He was pissed off at the Polished Rockers bike show last year, when Gus was invited in, & his Thruxton was shown to the street parking.

Since then he has made a no of modifications to the bike to bring the street cred up, including dropped headlight, clip on bars, repositioned instrument - all to get a more aggressive stance, Zorsts exhausts (which sound gorgeous), upgraded suspension, modified front guard & fork brace etc. It's a lovely bike.

Still can't compete with dirty old Gus. While we were sitting on the deck at the Bach, having lunch, a couple of old duffers were all over Gus. They didn't even look at the Thruxton :lol3
  16. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you please define what an old duffer is? Some of us may be a bit worried that we already fit the description.
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Old Duffer - Appreciably older than me :D
  18. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    your old duffer riding companions will have their revenge
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Actually I was paying you both a complement.
  20. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where exactly is Sutherlands hut? You did post a map picture but it wasn't clear (to me at least!)