The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Good looking collector box for George & Mildred on the airhead for sale thred if you need one
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Padmei, but I've a choice of 3 exhausts here. I'll play with those once I've done the engine swap.

Been working on forks today. Unfortunately one has been bent & straightened, & the damper is somewhat damaged. I'll probably just chuck it back together now, because it's keeping the other bikes out of the garage. Bigger report later.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    WHITE ROCK & TORA - 3RD OCT 15

Interesting jumping off the sidecar & onto a solo. Suddenly I had to control a wobbly front wheel & lean. And Gus has double the horsepower I remember.

Off at 8.00 am to get a WoF. Unfortunately no motorcycle qualified testers in Wgtn VTNZ (neither Thorndon nor Adelaide Rd). Closest was Porirua. Bugger. Off to Moore Wilson to pick up more rum instead (a man’s got to have supplies in hand – 5 yr old Cuban Rum no less – oh & one for my younger bro, to celebrate his birthday).

Beautiful spring day. Missed Andy at Rimutex, so toddled across the Rimutakas by myself. Which was cool. Limited traffic, so got a rhythm going. Nice to be back out on Gus.

Coffee & a herb & cheese scone at the Village Café.

Sometime later (well after the coffee & scone had disappeared) Andy & GT arrived. This is GTs first ride out since his accident pre Dusty Butt a few years ago. Andy’s helmet is in the process of self destructing, as the plastic pivot screws have broken

[​IMG]
    GT on his rebuilt TTR250

[​IMG]
    Andy Mac on his new KTM

[​IMG]
    Andy heading down to White Rock

[​IMG]
    GT - the rear view...

[​IMG]

Nearly left my Camelbak at White Rock. Wondered why my back felt so free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just before Tora.

I reckon Council isn't too far from sealing a large section of gravel leading into Tora. It's pretty good gravel at present.

[​IMG]

Stopped at Tora to survey the wreck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Home in time to cook roast pork & all the trimmings on the BBQ. Yummy.
  4. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to see GT out and about again. I was wondering how he was getting on.

Looked like a perfect riding day.
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    MAKURI SIDECAR OVERNIGHTER:
    As you may be aware, I destroyed my sidecar wheel earlier in the week, so needed to take Gus to this one.

Unfortunately he didn’t have a WoF, so there was some shagging around getting in new front wheel bearings & seals to gain this. The hub still had water in it from the Sutherlands Hutt ride (or maybe even the Mackley). The tyres are…well tired. But enough for this trip. The VTNZ guys are still intimidated by Gus's size, so I got to ride him through.

So it was well after 3.00 pm before I got out of Wellington. Slabbed it to Masterton. Unfortunately the beautiful Wellington day (sunny & still) disappeared in the Wairarapa.

Thru Mauriceville, out via Dreyers Rock Rd to Alfredton, then over Saunders Rd/Pori Rd to Makuri Domain.

[​IMG]

Had a total of 9 sidecars in attendance, including 3 Urals, 2 BMWs, an earlier Triumph, BSA single, & a Suzuki GS1000G (good bikes those – I had one in the ‘80s). The BSA had a sidecar made up out of ply, with seating for 2 kids, & a tow bar. There were also solos - a rather nice R80 G/S, & R80 Mono in attendance, so Gus wasn't too out of place.

The family groupings camped by the stream, the rest of us near the facilities.

Lies were told, & I went to bed with a good bit of rum on board. And some insights as to solutions to the sidecar wheel issues. But an early wakening, courtesy of an early riser. I may (or may not) have been slightly jaded in the morning...

I knew I should have packed the bacon & eggs. The muesli I packed really tasted like wet cardboard.

[​IMG]

Surprisingly there was cell coverage (Telecoms at least) in the Domain, so agreed to meet Mark_S for coffee at the ‘Beyond the Bridge’ café nr the Manawatu Gorge.

He took me on a magical mystery tour thru the Woodville backroads back to Makuri Gorge, & then back across Pori Rd as far as Puketoi Rd. We did Puketoi Rd in an 'in & out' ride. I think Mark was intimidated by the big dog at the exit gate. Puketoi Rd is in pretty good nick at the moment, considering the winter. Quite dry. Gorgeous views, which are the flip side of Pori Rd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Met 3 of the sidecars when we were back on Pori Rd. They’d been out for a wee excursion. Based on some of the tracks , I’m glad we met them where we did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Castlehill Rd has certainly changed now that the trees have all gone. A bit barren. The road is in good nick though. I guess it’s been pummelled into submission by all the trucks.

Flicked across to Riversdale for a late healthy lunch - 4.00pm. There were veggies involved, I swear. No coffee though.

Mark_S was good with troubleshooting his electrical issues too. But I had trouble locating the appropriate tool to fix it for him.

He insisted on washing our visors at Riversdale. I really don’t know why. Homewood Rd was still dusty, with poor visibility into the low sun, at least from my perspective. Quite slippy gravel too.

Hopefully he has reported the fatal accident he was involved in. That looked to be in an accident black spot. Two dead & one injured.

I took his bike for a wee spin on the seal on Te Wharau Rd down to Te Whiti Rd. By that stage (Te Whiti Rd) he’d decided that Gus was unrideable, & wanted his bike back. Mark’s bike feels more road oriented than Gus, mainly due to the tyres, lower handlebars, but also the sharper brakes (couldn’t find a rear brake though), & the 'firmer' suspension.

Because of my back injury I like Gus’s suspension to be more supple, & Gus is set up more as a big dirt bike, with taller handlebars, controls rotated for standing etc..

From there, we rode thru' to Martinborough, where there was no apparent available coffee, so shot off across the Rimutaka Hill for a spirited ride back into Upper Hutt. Left Mark filling at Rimutex & in search of a cup of tea.

[​IMG]

Missing some of the trip up (slab & boring) & the squirt from Makuri through to the Beyond the Bridge cafe.
  6. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hiding Marks bike in the shots I see... I must get over to the Wairarapa and ride some more of those roads.
  7. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Mandy - Steve had a hotdog and lots of chips

Some bastard flogged my key - and then couldn’t find where he'd put it......

Magpie versus knee - knee wins (but magpie shits all over side of tank as a last gesture of defiance....

Gus wasn't unrideable - actually it was a lot better than last time I rode it. but the low clutch and mahogany front brake gave my aching wrists/elbows the shits.

And a road bike feel is what I'm after. I want an old school airhead road bike that can happily cope with the 42nd or Odlins or big river etc.

actually got a nice (well - hot and wet...) cuppa at rimutex so I was happy - even if my riding buddy couldn't be arsed stopping to join me.

My bike felt like Wilson in Home Improvement with the way Steve kept deliberately framing my bike out of the photos.

Let us know when you head over to the wairarapa

great ride Steve.
    kiwipeet and Te Hopo like this.
  8. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like I should have put my hand up for this one. Was supposed to be doing GST but got nowhere with it.
  9. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Its 15%...........
    Underground likes this.
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I've shown Mandy this thread so that she knows what a shit stirring bugger you really are. I can't believe she actually liked you before...Fortunately she is inclined to believe her husband, who she knows doesn't deliberately dally around with the truth...:wave
    It was a ploy to make you post the photos I knew you took over in your own thread
    Yes, you should have. Regrettably, life is fleeting, & that opportunity has passed you by now...
  11. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I thought Mandy blamed me for all your injuries? (probably including the fall through the roof...)

Why she would believe her husband after all these years of food based deception is beyond me - you only go on these rides so you can gorge yourself without restraint.

is it ok if I pop in on the way home from work and have a look at the seat?
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Good Lord. Made it all the way down to page 2. That can’t be good.

Changed the tyres to a front TKC80 off the bent bike, & a Conti Escape ex EddieB. Both used, but in much better condition than the prior MT21 & E09 combo. Seems to have given acceptable grip on the ride I went on earlier this week. The most roady tyres I've had on Gus since the original IRCs.

Used a plastic fork seal scraper to clean out a lot of crap that’d accumulated in the (smaller) final drive seal. Seems to have stopped the seep.

BMWOR IMPROMPTU MIDWEEK TOWAI & CONNOR RD RIDE:
    Oaters has already done a write up on the ride here. Here are a few Photos I took on the way thru.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kokopelli and Te Hopo like this.
  13. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez, things are getting grim when you're scrounging up 2nd hand tyres :D
  14. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR's again Steve.

Was gonna go for a ride myself today but too hot & windy for a 530 plus the recoil from hayfever sneezzzin aint condusive too safety.....busted ribs are soooo non rider friendly.
  15. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Ahhh down to 2nd hand tyres huh, it's great to see you're still doing your best to maintain this extended break from the corporate world. :clap

Just before I went back to work I used up the last of my used tyres and I've finally gotten rid of the pile of bald tyres.
    Picton dump was going to charge $5.50 EACH to dump them so I took MarkS advice and cut them up, one $5 disc will cut 4+ tyres.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Saw that one. It's a bitsa, but probably good for purpose. Some piece of mind knowing that the niggles have been checked over / fixed by someone that knows what they are doing.

EddieB posted this over on his site. It's a ride over to Piano Flat in 2006. Don't have details on the riders. But it shows just where the stock BMW Airheads can get you. Pity the resolution isn't higher.
  18. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Seem expensive for a bitser. I would hang out for a proper GS. At least any improvement would help retain or even improve its resale value. A GS suspension will be so much better, too. You can take most road bikes off-road, but even my Basic struggles to keep up with more capable bikes and riding this with a group might end up frustrating you.
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Possibly a good base for a scrambler. There are few 'cheap' airheads left now. The low dollar spend ones all tend to need work, which obviates the low initial entry price. There are no guarantees on higher dollar ones either...
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    EddieB's R80G/S has just hit Tme again. Must be close to 400k kms now?