1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The right tools make a hard job easy

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mr. Cob, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I picked up a Harbor freight, tire changer with motorcycle wheel adaptor a while back. I have used it too change tires on my R1150GS, my Road King Classic, and today for the second time on my R80G/S. This tool makes a hard job a lot easier.

Here are some pictures of the tool and the new nasty assed tires I just put on the R80G/S, these tires are DOT approved, Dunlap 606's. I took them out and gave them a try out behind my place, these MoFo's hook up:super

The tool.

[​IMG]

The front tire, Dunlap 606.

[​IMG]

The rear tire, Dunlap 606.

[​IMG]

Done deal.

[​IMG]

I think that this tool belongs in every garage, I have way to many bikes to pay someone else to do a job that I can do. Now I get tires mounted when I want it done, not at somelses convineance.

You can buy this set up for $34.95 for the tire changer and $19.95 for the motorcycle wheel adaptor. The tool pays for itself the first time you use it.:deal
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    That's great, COB. Sure would be nice to document the procedure. Hey MPM, how about helping dave out? Yer good with the docu-posts. Just don't forget the PMFP.
  3. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan... COB still owes me a drink. Mebbe it's time to collect??? :1drink :1drink :1drink :1drink

Hey Dave...whaddya think about putting on a set of TKC-80's in a month or two???

Marc
  4. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:

Howdy Marc,

Bring em on, while your here maybe you can try to teach me some more stuff about computers. If I can machine it, weld it, or hit it with a big enough hammer I can fix it. However, I can crash a computer quicker then I can pull a Wheeliiiiiiiiiiiii on my R1.
  5. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    If the tool is squid and troll proof. Ordered mine just now. The cost is just slightly more than a two tire change at the local BMW dealer.

What are you using to balance the tires? I guess I'll be "engineering" a stand of some sort fot that.

I hate paying for something I can do myself. Ecspecially when it as low tech as tire changing.

Going through a set of tires every month on the KRS will make this thing handy.
  6. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I have one of these, too. Since I don't have a second set of wheels for the Wanderer, I swap between TKC80's and Gripsters. Ride up, swap tires, and ride out in one hour easily. And that's with a few breaks to swig beer.

I was lucky/smart enough to use female threaded anchors in my garage floor right under my ceiling fan. I pull the stand away from the wall, bolt it down, turn on the fan, and start tire changing. The fan really helps when it's 90-F(ucking) degrees at 9:00 pm.
  7. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
  8. crackerguy

crackerguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up the above pictured Motorcycle tire changing rig from Harbor Freight this weekend. The outlet here in Austin was having a sale on Sunday, I think I paid $28 for the stand and $25 for the MC attachment. Great deal.

I failed miserably in attempting to get a MEZ4B on the front wheel of my R using tire irons (those Mezs have a TIGHT frigging bead!). The Harbor freight jobber worked very well, and barely scratched the black powder coat on my wheels (TIP- wrap the metal pieces that grip the rim with duct tape, it helps protect the finish on the wheels)

Highly recommended for the price.
  9. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    Don't see too many GS's with full knobbies. Cant seem to find, but I remember reading early 70's bike mags in high school, as opposed to early 70's school books, that had a BMW factory ISDT bike at the ISDT with 2 rear wheels mated side by side, both full knobbies with some big German rider with a urapeein half helmet. Cant find it in the old scrap book but I knows what I saw. Neat bike you got, plant it in some of your pacific northwest loam and roost a bit, love to see some pics of a big gs spawned rooster tail, but you'll need 2 people to do it.