1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Road Less Traveled - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gaspipe, Oct 21, 2005.

1. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    As many of you know, last year Jumpingchollo and I set off to the Horizons Unlimited meeting in Creel on an obscure route - The Road Less Traveled. Afterall, is that not the essence of adventure riding?

We ran out of time last year and modified the ride, and then even had to bug out onto pavement to get where we were going.

I exchanged some emails with Ibarra, and when we met up in Hot Springs, NC at the HU meeting there this Summer, the die was cast - we were going to finish the route to Creel - but by dirt road and trails the whole way.

Somewhere along the line, for each of us - at least those that would read this thread, a transformation occured. The wanderlust of exploration spread it tendrils throughout our psyche, and a motorcycle became the medium to address the obsession. Despite political, social or geographical barriers, we're all a kindred spirit on some level. Yet, the route is rugged. It's not the ride for everyone, despite the sense of adventure one may have. Good skills, and well prepared bike, is a must. This is a chain and tire eating escapade.

I, rather irresponsibly, left work and really questioned the wisdom of my decision as I drove across the country. Work needed me, but I needed to ride. When I saw this, I knew I was on the right path. I'm on a mission from doG!

[​IMG]

The plan was to meet in Douglas, AZ - cross the border, and exit Agua Prieta on a lonely unmarked dirt road - and head deep into the Sonoran desert. Destination was originally projected to be Baja, with a return to Douglas. That plan turned to shit before we got started, but the excitement of the all dirt ride to Creel was a motivational endorphin that drove me once again to Mexico.

Our itinerary was to remain loose - it has to in order to make the ride an emotional and physical success. The group gelled into eight riders:

Ibarra
    Maxvert
    K7
    Lasvegasrider
    Jumpingchollo
    Jonz
    Mike Morgan
    gaspipe (me)

We congregated in Douglas Thursday night - set for a Friday departure - to allow us four full days to get to Creel. That was something Ibarra and I discussed - everything takes longer than you'd think, especially on all but forgotten trails through Mexico.

LVR, JC and I rode into town late, but went right to the border and did our paperwork and got our Tourist Visas and Importation permits. We were sipping Tecates at midnight when up walks Mike Morgan! We, at that time, didn't know he was riding with us. We sent him to get his stuff done.

At 0500, we were up - and the rest straggled out of bed over the next hour.

Interestingly, I struck up a conversation with Jesus Davila on the sidewalk as I waited for the gang to get ready. That would be a great benefit later on.

And we were off!

[​IMG]

We regrouped at the unmarked dirt road.

[​IMG]

And the RLT Part Deux was in motion! Into the desert we went.....

[​IMG]

--[lots more coming]--
  2. Jerrykap

Jerrykap Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer:
    All right...this is the report I've been waiting for. If my daughter didn't have wedding bells on her mind I would have been with you guys. So show me what I missed.:D
  3. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Jesus [Jess] Davila happened to be in the same Motel 6, and heard us talking about going to Creel. He and I chatted, he indicating he was from a small town named Huachinera. He was flabbergasted that not only did I know of it, I'd been there and WE were headed that way - TODAY! It was a pleasant conversation and we exchanged contact info and headed to the border.

As we headed south into the desert, I recalled many cattle guards - but something was wierd about them.........as I launched over the first one and caught about 4 feet of air, I remembered! They were made of railroad rail, but were oriented longitudinally to the tire rotation rather than perpendicular! These were wheel eaters! A quick stop to warn everyone was in order.

LVR was also catching air on these, and not 15 miles out of Agua Prieta, mechanical failure struck the KLR. The right footpeg sheared off, destroying the helicoils holding the peg bracket to the frame.

[​IMG]

LVR, no stranger to this, had a 'bolt' in his kit to fashion a temporary peg.

Then, K7's bike died - the sidestand switch shorted out.

Eight guys, even eight good guys, means the chances for mechanical failure increases dramatically. We're not an hour into the ride, and we've two failures! K7 performs some surgery and is back in motion.

Somewhere near a Cuchuverachi rancho.....

[​IMG]

LVR and I fall back to run sweep, and after a bit, we come across another rancho. We employ a rancher near Agua Blanca to weld the footpeg bracket to the frame. Success!

[​IMG]

The 640 waits patiently as the Rancher/Caballero performs his magic with some 6011 rods and electricity on LVR's busted steel......

[​IMG]

After about 20 minutes, we're off, riding fast and hard south towards Colonia Morelos - to catch up the group that left us behind.

[​IMG]

--more----
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    LVR and I caught up to K7/'chollo/Morgan at Colonia Morelos. Greater downtown......

[​IMG]

Jonz, Max and Ibarra took off ahead. Crank 'er up, we gotta get moving! Go straight at the graveyard!

[​IMG]

As we head south, the route becomes progressively more rugged. Graded dirt gives way to convoluted single lane road and doubletrack. The surface gets rockier and less travelled. Yeah, baby! I live for this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LVR and I alternate running sweep to keep the slower members of the group on the right path. I remember the route well from last year. It's good that we have a few different speed riders to spread ourselves out in the dust.

[​IMG]

Jeebus...it's October and it's freakin' HOT out here!

---more----
  5. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    So, what's everyone riding?

Ibarra & Max - heavily modified XR650R's
    Jonz, LVR, MikeMorgan - KLR650's
    'Chollo - my old XR600R
    K7 - The mighty KTM 950!!!
    'pipe - 640 Adventure

K7 has a brass set. That's a big ol', big HP machine to have out here. It's loaded with Jesses and it's the bigdawg of this ride.

I modified the 640 with revalved and resprung forks (.50's), and a revalved rear shock with the OE 7.0 spring. A KTM Comp muffler, modified airbox, and rejetted OE BST40 carby did a fine job from 1,500 to 9,000+ feet.

Dirtbagz and a Touratech rear rack handled my stuff - but I travel light. A new Dunlop 606 handled the front end, while a new Michelin Desert was spooned on the night before to handle that nasty volcanic rock and shale of MX. An aging 60C GPS in a Touratech mount told me where to go.

I'll let each rider chime in with their own mods as the thread develops.
  6. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    type faster man! I need to go to bed! :D
  7. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    The road gets more narrow and less travelled as we head south from Rancho Oaxaca towards La Morita.....

[​IMG]

After many miles of dust and endless curves and hills, we're rewarded with the Rio Bavispe valley......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This also signals the end of the road from the north. The route becomes more of a trail, and sand washes are ahead. These connect us with civilization again that moves north into this area, but via paved roads from Moctezuma and Huasabas. Rumor abounds that this whole dirt route will be paved before too long. :cry

[​IMG]

The boys, struggling through miles of river washes along the base of the Sierra Xitahuaca foothills.

[​IMG]

---more---
  8. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Into a beautiful river canyon we go. Think about what this would be like after a heavy rain....or during it....

'chollo and I rode this same thing last year, and the surfaces were much different this year. The rainy winter really rearranged things. New scenery, new challenges.

[​IMG]

I don't mind riding in the back. It gives me a chance to ride fast [and irresponsibly :uhoh ] every now and again, then stop for some pics, let the back of the pack catch up, then do it again. LVR is hip to this technique, and we trade off numerous times.

[​IMG]

There's a KLR out there somewhere!

[​IMG]

Just absorbing it. If you just keep motoring, you miss it. There's actually a road here.

[​IMG]

--more--
  9. LabRat

LabRat Playpen Attendant

Oddometer:
    :thumb awesome so far. can't wait to read more :ear

J.D.
  10. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Our group broke into two parts out here in the dusty wasteland:

Ibarra/Max/'Chollo/Jonz were out ahead, and MikeMorgan/K7/LVR and I brought up the rear.

As we came into civilization, the first town is San Miguelito. Caballeros and vacas abound! The trail becomes a road, of sorts, again, and we make some time.

LVR and I stop on the bridge to regroup the second half of our riders.

[​IMG]

The next towns are Bavispe (fuel) and then Bacerac. Bacerac is the biggest town in the valley. Both Bavispe and Bacerac have fuel, food and rooms for rent.

Bacerac has a huge, uhm, pot under construction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No time to stop, southbound!

The road to Huachinera - where Jesus Davila is from - my buddy from earlier today, and also our turn off into the Sierra Madres.

[​IMG]

---more later---
  11. lasvegasrider

lasvegasrider To the edge of the continents

Oddometer:
    Hey Bruce (gaspipe)..

Thanks for getting the thread in gear - I expect that Ibarra can chime in in short order as he is dealing with issues in Mexico City. I also hope that Mark (from Thailand) joins up with the asylum and posts a thought or two...

Thanks to the patience of GP and JC ( Bruce anbd Kris) I was able to make it to Phoenix in time to join them on the short trip to Douglas, AZ.

I left Las Vegas at a BIT after 1pm - not ready but damn it it was time to RIDE!

[​IMG]

Running south on the 95 past Hoover Dam and then bungee the throttle WOT to get to Phoenix asap...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smokeys busy with another revenue project...
    [​IMG]

Arriving at Kris's home my KLR is positioned in an ass-first position between proper dirt bikes - Bruces KTM640 on the left and the 600R Honda of Kris on the right.
    [​IMG]

Well, we blow by Tuscon and arrive in Douglas, get the docs and such like Bruce posted and then the next morning it is time to get dirty - The wait for Ibarra and Maxvert is taken in stride... Kris, Gerry, Bruce and Mike Morgan contemplate the origin of matter and who should be taxed for it :bueller

GENTLEMEN, welcome to the ride - stage one!:photog

[​IMG]

Getting the KLR ready for this trip after a month of solid Sierra riding was a mess of scheduling problems - we all deal with it and I expected that the KLR would do what it ALWAYS does - cowboy up and get with the program...
    [​IMG]
    Ok, zoom ahead and take pics -

Bruce..
    [​IMG]
    Kris...
    Only
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then, a few miles in, the helicoils of the right peg rip out when I land from a little cattleguard jump - it was a little one!! and I caught near zero air!!!, OK, so a bit more air than the helis could handle... it was GEBUZZZ killer... in goes the temp bolt, yada yada...:bueller

Oh, Gerry trashed his kickstand starter switch circuit? Wheeww - misery is joined BUT will be short lived... Gerry quickly applied a fix from a fix recalled from a thread on the subject and he was 100% in no time. I had inserted my temp pegbolt and we moved on in order to continue to play in the dirt - using the passenger peg for the heavy riding sections left the pegbolt to only provide reference for braking - WTF - I use the front brake everywhere anyway..

About 30 miles ahead I see two medium-sized Ford tractors and come to a halt after playing w/ G. Ibarra for the first time - FUN FUN FUN! ... This is going to be a GREAT RIDE!!

I was a very lucky boy - Bruce steps in shortly after I stop at the store/bar and clears up my sign language request for welding and a PERFECT welding job is performed by one of the guys thats maintains the tractors- He wanted $5 US - No way - He gets $20 US and it is a BARGAIN.

GPS -N30 58.980 W109 14.977
    [​IMG]

More in a bit...
  12. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    At Bavispe, I could see the tracks in the dirt that the other four waited, and then moved on. So we did also.

Onward through Bacerac and towards Hauchinera, about 130 miles from where we started this morning. No breakfast, no lunch. There are no LottaBurgers out here.

At Huachinera, we turned into town. When Ibarra et al arrived, the town was waiting for us! Jess Davila phoned ahead and told them we were coming. The Mayor was there to greet us! The food was on the stove and we were greated with open arms. Me gusto mucho Mexico!

Our host, whom cooked us a very spicy chili colorado style meal. Home made tortillas, beans..... fantastic!

[​IMG]

Last year, the road south of Huachinera was dirt. It's now paved. The Mexican gobierno is making an effort to pave up to Bavispe, and onward to Agua Prieta. The goal is to draw tourism - and as selfish as I can be - I hope it takes a while before this are is all spoiled. Yet, on the other hand, these folks are working hard to try to create jobs to keep their offspring at home. More power to them. I am thinking of a mini-ADV rally/ride to Huachinera prior to next year's HU meeting.

The Plaza!

[​IMG]

Always a pretty church at the town's plaza, something they can be proud of.

[​IMG]

Cheerful workers refurbishing the plaza. Hard working fellas.

[​IMG]

--more tomorrow--
  13. LabRat

LabRat Playpen Attendant

Oddometer:

got to love the power of the USA$!

Great trip and pics guys :ear
  14. lasvegasrider

Oddometer:
    Bruce, ya know I love ya.. When you get in the ZONE you are a smile factory to ride with. The way you ran after busting up your ribs in Baja months ago earns my respect. Hanging with me while the welding was completed was another notch in your cap..:freaky

After the welding of the peg mount, It was time to make time.
    [​IMG]

Bruce was a trouper to hang with me during the repair, and his KTM 640 was still 100%, so we lit it up and caught up with the troups ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some fruits and drinks, and off we go --- heading south to the mountains..
    [​IMG]
    more in a bit...
  15. lasvegasrider

Oddometer:
    The money was not the issue - The guy did a PERFECT job - we laughed later....
    The only part of this bike that would be found by scientists would be the welded area and some collateral metals...
    This report gets REAL GOOD... Stay Tuned,,,,,:nod
  16. LabRat

LabRat Playpen Attendant

Oddometer:

Not saying money was the issue, just that you could get it done at a more ten reasonable cost. i had a "similar" situation with many years back. The first "commercial" garage I went to wanted to charge me >$300 the second garage charged me $50-. I gave him a $100- for torching off the part he did. The mechanic tried to refuse the additional pay, but I insisted and told him how the garage less then 5 miles away was going to sharge me >$300 for probably the same thing. He bowed and thanked me. I thanked him for his honesty and I still think I made out on the deal. I love good human nature. BTW above scenario is true and happpend in the USA (Waitesfield VT)

PS I say this b/c I don't mean any disparity with my riginal post. Just a fact that you cann get a lot of QUALITY work done for an american dollar!
  17. lasvegasrider

Oddometer:
    He earned the 20 bucks.. I overpay the Indian Bead makers, and overtip when a good meal is prepared as well...

No big deal... lets continue with the ride report...:freaky

18. lasvegasrider

Oddometer:
    Ok, bike is well, and time to ride... SAG - Sweep --

Run this little road at 90mph - GPS...

[​IMG]

easy stuff....

[​IMG]

Hey bruce!

[​IMG]

off we go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more in a bit...
  19. lasvegasrider

Oddometer:
    See how simple and easy the dirt is so far? Shizz - Goldwing stuff. The good stuff is just ahead... Not much time for photos - you understand.

IT gets real... as we climb into the mountains...

fairly easy stuff so far, as we head south toward Oaxaca, Mexico
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A lot of these rocks are not yet parked on the sides - keeping an eye out...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bruce (right) and I saying hello and FYYFFs!:wave :ricky
    [​IMG]

more in a bit...
  20. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    You guys suck :fitz

:lurk