The Road To Elk City Idaho

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by MANXMAN, Jul 4, 2009.

1. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Looking for information on the road to Elk City, Idaho. Search function won't allow "Elk" so can anyone tell me if the road is like? Paved I presume, but is it a good motorcycling road? Hoping it has lots of corners. Pictures if you have them.

Thanks
  2. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    The road is paved if you go due east from Grangeville,Idaho-maybe 70 miles if I remember.It's a great motorcycle road.
    If you're coming from the east-Darby,Montana-it's mostly dirt over the Magruder corridor-a MUCH better motorcycle road if you're into the dirt thing.I think Magruder is still closed by snow,though.
    Have a good trip.

PS-if you search "Magruder" on this thread,you'll probably get more info.

CK
  3. crash50

crash50 Idaho Back Country

Oddometer:
    The road to Elk City is paved. Lots of corners, log trucks, and campers in the summer.
    The road is pretty rough in spots. Lots of places to go that are dual-sport type rides.
    After Elk City there is the road to Dixie, Red River Hot springs is fantastic.

Then there is the Macgruder Corridor from Red River to Darby, Mt.
    It usually does not open until mid to late July however.
    The corridor is about 110 miles across, very remote, Zero services, and be prepared to spend the night, unless you go straight through.
    Make sure you fuel at Elk City, and or carry fuel, unless your riding the S.S. Valdez.

Orogrande, an old mining region is in that area, the Elk City Wagon road is there and a whole lot of other things to do.

Check with the USFS, Nez Perce Offices in Kamiah for information or up to date maps.

I will be taking that trip in mid August, but it will be job related.
  4. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Sorry no road pics, but it is a beautiful ride, and a whole lot of curvy fun on a bike. Here is a pic of the post office. The town pretty much matches the PO.

[​IMG]

They have a little hotel, I wish I had known about. It looked more interesting than the motel I took in Grangerville.
  5. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one of the best roads in Idaho. The last four miles to Dixie are gravel. The last pic is from the turn of to Mt Idaho, SE of Grangeville. Go east thru Gville. Right at Salmon/Grangeville Rd.(the edge of town, by the chainsaw/Yamaha shop). Left at the outdoor movie theater. About a 100 mi to Dixie.
  6. dirtycalhoun

dirtycalhoun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you interested in dirt roads or just want to know about the paved road to Elk City off of RT13(RT13 has some neat curves if coming from the north) north of Grangeville? If you want paved, that road to Elk City (RT 14,I think), is a fun paved road. Lots of sweepers,not real challanging but pretty & fun. Lots of pulloffs to take a break on. Follows a pretty river. I always eat something in the gas station-greasy spoon eatery on the right going into town. The Gas station beyond it is good too(on left) & has high-test gas if you're on a bike that likes it.Nice people & info. Spend some $$$ there just to nice. If it's dirt you want, there's LOTS of that before,north,south & east of town. If coming south on RT13 toward Grangeville, you could take the old Elk City Wagon Rd out of Harpster to Elk City.It's dirt.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    We almost made it. Tried going from Powell, Idaho to Elk City via backroads. We were about 8 miles up, taking a little break when we met a local lady driving her 4x4. She informed us that the pass to Elk City was still snowed in but we could take a round about route to get there. We decided to head back to Powell and continue to Lewiston via Hwy 12.

Taking a break on road to Elk City from Powell.
    [​IMG]
    Heading back to Powell
    [​IMG]
  8. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for the information. I will ride into Elk City for sure and inquire if the gravel route is open to go out on. If not, the paved road sounds good enough that if I have to return on it, I won't be too disappointed.
  9. steveberde

steveberde oldertrble

Oddometer:
    Been going to Elk City for years as I have a good friend with a cabin nearby - trouble is, now that the Reno Club has closed the town has gone to the dogs - no place to drink and or party except for the VFW and you certainly don't want to hang out there. By all means stay away from Elk City and the roads that lead in to and out of it - it's our secret and you can't have any.

Steve
  10. dchurch

dchurch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was trying to cross the Magruder road from Elk city to Darby Montana on thursday, but the road was snowed in. I ended up comming back to Elk and fiding a little bar there and It was fine. I was just planning on having one drink and asking where a good place to camp would be, but the locals girls insisted that I get good and drunk with them and that they would help me carry my gear and luggage to a free stay in someones house down the road. I rode in from Selway on dirt, about 30 miles or so. From what the forest service guys at the bar were saying, Magruder should not be open until august.
  11. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Elk City Wagon Rd...I liked riding that better than the Magruder! Lots of variety, graveled and dirt forest roads and one section that was more dozer track than road, and the historical markers are really well done.

You'll have fun whichever way you get there! dd
  12. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    You guys were right about this road.:nod I rode it early this morning. It was empty of traffic, decent pavement and the corners never stopped coming. Fantastic ride.

Thanks Again,
    Manxman
  13. thetourist

Oddometer:

If you liked that, ride the St Joe River Road. St Maries to St Regis. About a 100 mi of the same. Some a bit tighter. 5 mi of gravel to get to St Regis.

Then over to Wallace and take the pavement straight north out of down town Wallace to Pritchard (a mountainous set of twisties) and back to I-90, or on to Murray and Thompson Pass (a modern pass, so not so tight, but scenic) to Thompson Falls.
  14. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be riding the St. Joe River Road in a day or so. I'll try to do those other roads as well.

Thanks
  15. dirtycalhoun

dirtycalhoun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey there manxman,sounds like yer havin lottsa fun. Keep up the good workz,eh. If yer around Lewiston ,Id don't you dare miss the Old Spiral Highway(it's off rt 95 at the top of the hill overlooking Lewiston). Ask anybody there.They all can tell you where it is. They say the engineer who designed it was crazy. That,or a motorcyclin fool. Steep & CURVES. You'll love it. Spent a whole afternoon blastin that on an FJR couple years ago.Down 'n back up,down 'n backup.Never got bored.
  16. thetourist

Oddometer:

If the schedule allows, have lunch at the Spragpole in Murray. Good old fashioned burgers and shakes. And...a cool museum.
  17. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada

We just got back last week from there. Spent 4 days with friends camping east of Avery right on the river. The road from Avery to Wallace is awesome too. Good gravel and nice riding. There is gas/food/beer at the general store in Avery.

Road to Wallace from Avery. You go through a couple old train tunnels.

[​IMG]
  19. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Did the first part of the ride into Avery on pavement

[​IMG]
    Then switched over and rode the rest of the way on the other side. Some nice scenery along this route.

[​IMG]
    Took the road over to Wallace like Deuce suggested. I think there was about 6 of these tunnels.

[​IMG]
    Looking back on the road as I climbed up from Avery.

St. Joe River Road turned out to be another one of the many great roads I enjoyed while in Idaho.