1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The Road to Nunavut...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by delagem, Jul 7, 2017.

1. delagem

delagem Race, Wreck, Repeat

Oddometer:
    Well, it can be done. Bring an off-road ready bike. You'll need a lot of gear; you'll want a compass, and definitely some extra fuel:

[​IMG]P7050203 by michael delage, on Flickr

Bring friends. They'll have gas, and spare parts you may need to borrow. They don't need a clutch lever, YOU need a clutch lever! You're going to Nunavut!

[​IMG]P7020021 by michael delage, on Flickr

During the ride up there, don't let a helicopter that's delivering fuel to the firefighters knock over half of your bikes:

[​IMG]P7020028 by michael delage, on Flickr

Drive on the Rte de La Baie James, past the Cree Indian village of Chisasibi, QC, in northern Quebec. Once past the village about 3 miles, you're looking for a dirt road left. If you reach the dump, or the airport, you've gone too far:

[​IMG]P7040177 by michael delage, on Flickr

Once on that road, in about 2 km, take the left fork:

[​IMG]P7040176 by michael delage, on Flickr

When you get nearly to the end of that road, you'll see this sharp left turn:

[​IMG]P7040165 by michael delage, on Flickr

Despite the sign, you want to turn right:

[​IMG]P7040164 by michael delage, on Flickr

It's pretty scenic:

[​IMG]P7040161 by michael delage, on Flickr

It won't be an easy go:

[​IMG]P7040162 by michael delage, on Flickr

But the trail is well marked:

[​IMG]P7040159 by michael delage, on Flickr

Some places are pretty rough:

[​IMG]P7040151 by michael delage, on Flickr

But eventually you come to a trail:

[​IMG]P7040157 by michael delage, on Flickr

From this point forward, keep moving generally northward. You'll see a small inlet/estuary. Once past that, you're just looking for the big flat rocks. Look for the flag that our friends left:

[​IMG]P7040154 by michael delage, on Flickr

Respect to our Canadian friends at www.pgfireman.com for the flag. Good guys, Peter, Al and Val.

That's it! You've reached Nunavut. Really? No, not really. Nunavut, going on memory here, is defined as the lands north of 60deg N latitude not claimed by Quebec, the Northwest Territories or the Yukon Territory, and all of the islands of the Hudson Bay and James Bay. But, the way the maps are drawn, the beach on the end of the James Bay Road is shown as part of Nunavut. Good enough for me.

Did I ride the bike? No. It's an easier hike than a ride, provided you wear decent boots. Plus, this is somebody's land, or at least communal land. I wouldn't want to go tearing around, making a bad name for all of us. Its about a mile, round-trip. Here's a map:

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 9.47.09 PM by michael delage, on Flickr

I hope this helps somebody cross this off their list!

Michael