1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The Rockies Winter Wrenching Thread.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Geek, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Yes..... most definitely. As always the DAG can be made available............
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Mountain! Where've you been :freaky

How about like the first weekend in October so we can have 'em done before the KTM Adventure Moab rally?

:lurk
  3. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Sounds good....... take lead and set it up...... let me know the details.... :D
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    Nice job, Leigh!

On the FJR I wired a Fuzeblock FZ-1 in, and wanted it switched hot as well. Since the headlights don't come on until the engines running on most modern bikes, I wired the FZ-1's relay trigger to the headlight circuit.
    The fuse block wasn't hot until the engine was running, worked great.

I kinda miss doing that stuff on the FJR with the PIAA's and accessory hookups....but in a way I like the simplicity of the Guzzi too. It has a factory cig lighter accessory plug under the seat I can use for the GPS, and I have a coax pigtail on the battery for the Gerbing.

I will add an SAE Powerlet too, but not until the snow flies and I need something unnecessary to do :D
  5. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    I could honestly say you could sell that setup. It looks pretty straight forward to install and very clean when you re done.

6. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    nice solution!

My T595 Daytona had quick disconnects, and every time I used them, the little stainless 'gate' guillotine'd off a microscopic sliver of o-ring....and I had a leaker. :bluduh

Got some aftermarket ones like your McMaster-Carr setup that fixed it... thanks for dredging up 13 yr old painful memories :lol3

btw, there's a place in Denver that stocks every kind of o-ring you could ever need. Rocket Seals down on Lipan.
    http://www.rocketseals.com/

My Aprilia RSV Mille had a few oddball ones in the water pump - they had 'em.
    On the '81 GS1000G, I replaced every o-ring in the intake manifolds, carbs, etc, they had them all and in the correct materials for heat, fuel (Buna, Viton...)
  7. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I avoided the o-ring failure completely on my RT. I replaced the 1/2 hoses with full-length ones.

No more problems. :nono

Made getting off the tank tougher, but on that bike, it was such a rare occaision, that I didn't worry too much about it.

My experience with shelves is that on that bike: they vibrate. I had a shelf made by 'someone' that I promptly took back off. If I could remember who's it was, I'd tell ya, but I don't. :confused Also blocked the top of the speedo and tach... Sans GPS its hard to see how fast yer going without bending down and looking under the thing... I'm sure Hondo's thought of that, so I prolly didn't need to mention it. :nah Nice execution tho. :nod

M
  8. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those quickconnects are great... bestest thing i've used 'em on is my camelbak - have one 2L bladder I use year-round... one hose/valve with the "Cold-weather kit" that lives on my sledding pack (PITA to get that hose out of the pack), and a regular one on my dirt pack. Swap the bladder out between the two and never have to fight with the hoses.
  9. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    :fitz
  11. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:

:ban
  12. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:

:stfu

13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    With a forecast high of 24 on Sunday and snow inbound... time for some winter wrenching?

Since I can't think of anything else to upgrade on the 950.. it is time to work on the 500's mods some more...
    [​IMG]

Finally getting around to installing my heated grips on the 500. I always buy two sets of grips and then put a thick walled self-adhesive piece of shrink wrap on the left bar before I wrap the heater elements.

I then use a throttle grip on both sides (necessary for the added thickness on the left bar).
    Both grips always heat equally for me with this method :thumb

[​IMG]

New seat arrived for the 500
    [​IMG]

I did finally get the new front wheel put on the 950
    [​IMG]

Going to do some wheel balancing with re-usable wheel weights
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the bikes have floats drained and battery tenders plugged in
    [​IMG]

What are you upto? :lurk
  14. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    Ski alignment and oil line rerouting on a winter toy. :deal

Put registration stickers on last night.
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Mike: Let me get this straight.. you bought a brand new sled.. have never even rode it yet you've torn it all apart and modified everything?

What all mods have you done to the poor things already?
  16. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I caught my garage on fire last night with my Mr Buddy Heater :eek1

First time I've gotten to use my finger extinguisher in the garage :photog

I was having trouble starting it.. I finally got it started on low and turned it to high and the second element didn't come on. About 20 seconds went by and just as I was thinking "do I smell propane" there was a BOOM! and a blue rolling flame rolled out across the room about 10 feet in diameter and 4 inches thick.

The concussion was strong enough it shook the garage door about the equivalent as if you kicked it hard. The flame then just sucked itself back in again (i.e. propane consumed) and the Mr. Buddy itself was on fire (luckily nothing else). The flames started to grow inside the heater and were maybe a foot tall by the time I grabbed the extinguisher and gave it a squirt.

I could smell burnt hair.. but not quite sure which hairs I burnt :rofl
  17. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    The shop's already a wreck. It's embarassing.

First we have a KX500. It needed a new tranny and a whole lot of other things. It's almost ready (I think). I might get it fired up today. :clap

[​IMG]

Next there's an 83 Shadow 750. It was supposed to be a donor engine for this project (clicky), but it's not going to work.

[​IMG]

So the engine's going to get rebuilt and it will get sold.

[​IMG]

And last I have this which will occupy most of the winter (what a wreck). Build thread here.

[​IMG]
  18. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    I always had problems starting my Mr Buddy too. I eventually got rid of it and bought some insulated overalls instead.
  19. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    :nod

Zero miles. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Got a tether
    [​IMG]

Killswitch- and mountain-bar-ectomy
    [​IMG]

Board stiffeners
    [​IMG]