The Rootbeer Run, Chasing the Sun, and other misadventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Parepin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    Nice place, once! Too bad the abuse and neglect have damn near put that property close to condemnation! Da Foole has a winner in you cleaning up the place! You have done a lot already by the look of things, but a lot more is necessary! Good Luck.....
    I'll ride down there when the weather is better! Say June or July...
    Have fun and stay dry and warm! haha
    Later,
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Well darn by the time I got my tour complet all the trinket bags were gone. :lol3

It sounds like you have done a lot of work and there is a lot of work ahead but I bet when you are finished with it the place will be one heck of a fine place.

Carl Windslow looks like he is a happy pup hanging out with you. I'm glad you are finding good homes for the other two dogs.

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. :clap
  3. RicH2

RicH2 Ric H2

Oddometer:
    Say Alex......Just caught up

Whatever became of Ariel ? Do you ever hear from her ? The last I understood was Seattle and nothing more was ever said of her plans; did I miss something ?

Also, I'm reading along and wham ! Rust is lost. What happened to Rust ? Maybe no ones business but, It would be nice to know what happened.

Thanks for the read......Happy Trails !!!!
  4. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    She and I parted ways a long time ago. I took it fairly hard, and actually started this ride report as a way to cope with it all. This is also the reason that the story stalled out so very long ago. I'm still working on it (i've got half a dozen different drafts). I initially felt that I simply didn't have the insight to tell the tale as accurately as it deserved, and so I avoided it for a spell until I could gain a better understanding. I'm not gonna lie, writing about it sucks and is going to suck. Posting pictures will be even worse. There are no tales of honor, chivalry, or heroism during this stretch. I'm anxious to get through it, though, so I can just get on with the story and catch up to the current time, though the more time passes, the bigger of a challenge it all seems. The story's gonna hop back and forth a whole bunch, but I think I'll make it work. Having moved to the farm in Oregon, here, has allowed me to slow down enough that I think I'm finding my center once again.

Rust passed away back in July. His cancer, that we initially thought he kicked a few years back, reoccurred aggressively. It spread to his lungs, then his lymphatic system (as my understanding of it goes.) These were dark times, and I try my best to maintain a relationship with his wife. I've made the trip to Phoenix a few times since then, and speak with her every couple of weeks. She's doing okay, and there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but for now she seems a bit unsure of herself and what the future holds. She's strong, though, and will pull through with the help of her friends and family. I miss the guy. Last time I was in town, his home just didn't feel the same. The garage was empty, and quiet. Many of his tools and toys were absent, and his dogs very mellow. There was no Aerosmith echoing through the cul-de-sac. Different times, my friend.
  5. daxxruckus

daxxruckus CRF Slayer

Oddometer:
    I just caught up on the thread and the name "rolling probable cause" for your rapetastic steed had me spitting my beer onto my phone.

June and Cash were sad they didnt get to meet Carl Winslow but they promise to make a trip to oregon and bring some milkbones.

Oh and email me your new address. June wants to send CW a Christmas present.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
  6. cch13

cch13 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dude, what a RR, just read it all the way through, the warts and all honesty is brilliant, to see this community rally to help through all the ups and downs is inspiring, keep up the good work, i would love to hear some of the missing chunks of the story..
  7. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    LOL :lol3
    It's funny how your body gets used to it. Yesterday it was -38 and I had on white dress shirt for work my wool sweater that I knitted while on the road, and a faux suede/wool jacket. Yeah I did also have leggings and pants on (just saying to prevent another joke :D ) But I was warm even though I really wasn't all that bundled up.
    I loved the little video you made. What does it look like now? any snow?
  8. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. It's taken a couple of weeks, but I'm finally adjusting to the drastic weather changes, myself. The blue toes across the hardwood floors in the morning, the stinging to my ears when I collect firewood for the evening, the hard start of a KLR on a nippy early afternoon. Liners within liners within PJ's. I've got more wool socks than I know what to do with.

No snow. Blue skies and mid fifties. This land is a savage one. Ruthless even.
  9. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Mid fifties? T-shirt weather :lol3 -37 here at the moment. Hope you had a good Christmas, and wishing you a happy new year!
  10. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Hellooooo anybody out there... :dg:lurk Anymore of this ride coming down the pike anytime soon. :ear
  11. fadingfastsd

fadingfastsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya TFN get your shit together! You're about 2 years behind...

(Like I should talk, I still never finished my KLRmageddon ride report)
  12. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Quit f'in off S-head.
  13. Chuck35

Chuck35 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He must have got a life
  14. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    You'd think so....

I've come to fear this thread and my increasingly shortening list of excuses. I've the best of intentions, but I lack the passion at the moment.

That's the honestest answer I can give you.

To a limited few of you, and you know who you are, I say this;

You can eat the peanuts out of my sheit.

Parepin, out

*drops mic*
  15. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    A life? Parepin?

:poser
  16. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Hey Parapin,just say hello once in a while,and if you ain't doin shit that's good also,Alex keep the mic nearby.
  17. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Well, if you aren't finishing the RR any time soon, how about a cute dog pic or two? Carl Winslow has to be getting big!
  18. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:

Well, fuck. You're going to feel like an ass in about five seconds.

Back in mid January, I let Carl out like I do every morning. Made some coffee, did some laundry, and discovered he was MIA. Found him out front, in a ditch. Yeah. It fucking DESTROYED me and left me circling the drain, drowning in my own pity, guilt, and self loathing. I want to say more, but I'll save you the details.

Sorry to burst your bubble, man. It's been a rough winter.
  19. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Buuut on a good note he has a new puppy now right Al... :clap
  20. daxxruckus

daxxruckus CRF Slayer

Oddometer:
    RIP Carl Winslow. He was a scholar, and a gentleman.

I didn't know you got a new pup. I'm glad to hear it. Carl Winslow's legacy for chasing tail will live on!