The Rootbeer Run, Chasing the Sun, and other misadventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Parepin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Yup.. Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!! :deal :huh :puke1

On a more positive note... your Dream ends like this! :norton :1drink :ricky :clap

Peace,
    Jim
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Exactly and that's good sig material. Thanks :wave
  3. Jettn Jim

Oddometer:
    Why Thank you LB!!!:raabia
  4. DirtyPatches

DirtyPatches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What an amazing story, ride, and adventure! I felt like a little kid stuck on a good book staying up late not able to stop reading. Love the photography, narration, and the mission. Really nice seeing riding as a means of escape and self discovery, not seeing how much money a guy can burn on a bike and a trip for the hell of it. Speaking to the young dirtbag riders out there:clap

After reading your journey few questions/ comments:
    1. Did you have any maintenance issues along the first ride from NY (not the other bike falling apart YIKES!). Flats, qwerks, repairs, replacements, comfort adjustments?

2. Sorry about your fun experience with one of Montana's many road ragers, lots of that here for some reason, but were not all like that... on most days. Of course it was Billings :rofl my GF grew up there and she calls it "Gotham city without Batman". It is a poor reflection of MT so hope you got to see more of the wild and friendly side.

3. What would you change/ do differently/ or suggest based on what you learned for a fella in the same position as when you started. (Newer rider, KLR owner, only done weekend trips looking to do a cross country)

4. Jim sent me to this (thanks Jim!) as I had mentioned in a different thread that I was gonna move to Coos Bay, and that I should hit you up. Hoping to be out there in the spring would love to buy ya a beer and burn one:freaky, and go riding sometime of course:ricky
  5. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Shit Ive been to that place in Red Bluff.
  6. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you liked it. I've had more than a few people pound into my head that I'm being a dumbass not taking advantage of this whole experience to fund further adventures. Maybe they're right. I guess finishing this goddamn report would be a great step in the right direction, no?

I read your post weeks ago, then wandered into the hills for a week. There's some good questions here, so I wanted to take some time to think about them before I gave a reply.

1. Maintenance issues? Yes. Constantly. To anyone that rides with me, it's quickly evident that my bike, from day one, has been and continues to be a work in progress. I tweak things at camp and while hanging out in front of the gas station. I ordered parts and sent others out to be rebuilt, only to pick them up and reinstall them in another town hundreds of miles and several days later. I would sit around the camp fire and carve at my gear with a pocket knife to achieve a better fit. Every time I would have a flat, I would change it out using a different method, just to see what fit. I think about how I want to tackle the project the next time I find myself in some unsuspecting schmuck's garage, and hit it with a fury of sparks and blood while there's still condensation on the bottles. It's all hand made, and to quote my uncle as he attempted to describe my bike to his daughter over the phone, "Well, when you build a bike from garbage, you tend to work on it often."

As far as specific incidents, a few that come to mind would be blown wheel bearings, brake pad failures, wadded up chains, faulty wiring, cracked luggage racks and mounts, stripped foot pegs.... really, there's too many to count. You name off a component, and I've probably destroyed it in a way you'd never think possible. I'm hard on things like that.

2. I love Montana. I'm a huge fan of the entire N/W quarter of the country, save for a few landlocked states. I've been around to know that there are assholes everywhere. Probably more than I'd care to believe. I've been burned before, and probably will continue to. I don't like not being able to let my guard down, so I tend to stay away from people in general. I can't honestly say there's a single city out there that I wholeheartedly enjoyed. There's absolutely some awesome and often unique aspects of every city, but there's always that nagging thought in the back of my head, "I hope my shit's still there when I get back." So I stay weary, and fill my pockets with granola bars and fruit when I get a chance. Then I head to the hills where I can spread out, curse at the livestock, and hurl apple cores from the mountaintops. And Montana's got a lot of those.

3. This is kind of a multi point question, so I'll split it up a bit. What would I change, or do differently? This is the question that got me to stop some weeks ago and think. I mean, really think. There's plenty of shit I COULD have done differently, most of it budget based. I could have bought better gear, and I would have been warmer. I could have bought better parts, and I would have been safer. I could have started with a better bike, and I wouldn't have had so many breakdowns. Better maps, I wouldn't have gotten lost oh so many times. Hell, these are all things that I probably SHOULD have done. But WOULD I, if I could go back and start again? No. I welcome disaster. It makes for a more interesting story.

As far as suggestions to a newer rider, I dunno. It's all so subjective. As far as setting up your rig, stay flexible and keep things simple. There's been a few times where I've developed a setup in my head and spent an incredible amount of time making it a reality, only to realize my uses differ. Give yourself time and be patient. Truly understand how you use your bike, your gear, not just how you INTEND to use it. Stay warm and dry above all else. Heated grips, man. Heated grips.

Attitude. I would consider this more important than anything else. Give yourself twice the amount of time you think you'd need. Relax. Spend an extra ten minutes at that little coffee shop in town. Lay out in the grass when the sun is high and the sky is blue. Put away your maps for days at a time and let your intuition take you places. Seriously. Learn to trust your instinct. Smile, and greet everyone you come across with a "Hey, how's it going?" Perfect your handshake, keep it firm and make eye contact. Be welcoming and open to approach. There are a lot of interested people out there, and if you take the time to bullshit in front of the gas station with the locals, it will always pay off.

Relax. I'll say it again. Take your time, and see what you want to see. Chances are, you won't be out this way again, so make something of it. You're not hauling semi trailer from coast to coast. You're not making iron butt runs. If you're doing more than 300 miles a day, you're doing it wrong. I talk to people all the fucking time that have these unrealistic assumptions about travel by bike. I ran into a dude in Los Angeles once who was heading up to Prudoe Bay. He had given himself something like two weeks to make the trip and back. I'm not sure if he made it in that time limit or not, but if he did, he didn't experience much.

4. Jim's a weird dude, I don't trust him. However, in beer I trust. I'll have the grill goin when you get here.
  7. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Nice to see a post from you. I hope life is treating you well.
  8. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    quality post from the Filthy Nomad.

i really like your answers to #3. people tend to get caught up and forget what it's all about. i think we've probably all been guilty at times, and get rewarded by getting stressed out.

thanks
  9. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I've often thought that any first timer, which would be me also, takes what they feel comfortable with. And will pare down from there over time. And it's not that that stuff isn't necessary for the trip, but possibly necessary to the transition from home living to bike living. Alot of people "take too much" to start out with and throw out, ship back, give away, sell stuff along the trip. But I say differently, in the beginning, the comforts are necessary to go from sleeping in a bed, to sleeping off the bike. There are some who could say, I go camping all the time and I know what I need. Probably right. There are other who would say, I don't know what I'll need, so I'll take a bit much and toss what I don't need along the way to get to an optimal pack.

I say.
  10. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    I believe there's a lot of truth to that. I don't know of a single person who, in it for a long haul, continues on with the same load they started out with. Maybe going into it with a plan to toss or send shit back is the way to go. It's interesting to see what does get tossed, though. I packed a camp chair for a long time. It just made sense. At camp, I'm going to need somewhere to sit. I never used the damn thing. I gave it away and sit in the dirt. It's all part of the experience, I suppose.
  11. beechum1

Oddometer:
    PIcked this up from another thread:

12. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    You know, I followed a lot of threads before I headed out. I tailored my setup as a nice compromise between them all. In the end, I missed the feeling of a good pair of Levi's.

They also neglect to tell you the dangers of sleeping next to a campfire dressed head to toe in recycled garbage bags.
  13. Jettn Jim

Oddometer:
    Thanx buddy! :evil
    Great post!!! :1drink
  14. beechum1

Oddometer:
    I don't know Jim, but if Alex says don't trust him, I'll trust him.
  15. Jettn Jim

Oddometer:
    :D :freaky
  16. fadingfastsd

fadingfastsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you happen to pack socks & sandals, make sure to NOT wear them at the same time. Especially not after just completing a rant about how people who wear socks and sandals are assholes.
  17. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    That was a great picture!:eek1
  18. beechum1

Oddometer:

Just don't pack any socks.
  19. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Or underwear. Leave the underwear home.