1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rootbeer Run, Chasing the Sun, and other misadventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Parepin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:

...says the guy who leaves the wafting odor of decaying frijoles in his wake....

:lol3
  2. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, Alex, It's been quite an awesome read! I feel weird talking to you without introducing myself after getting to know you and your buddies so well on this life report. So my name is Chris, married with dogs north west of Harrisburg PA, towards State College. Our two German Shepherds are my best buddies in the world and my awesome wife puts up with my habit and motorcycle obsession.
    Nice to meet you....:D
    What a journey you've been on. Thanks for taking us along. We are all on a journey but few of us have a way with words and can share it like you do. I felt your joy and feel your pain. That's a writing skill that great authors posess. And that's what turned this ride report into a life report from the very beginning. Being painfully honest with your writing was what sucked me in. Then it just happened to be a kick ass ride report too. Thank you for taking the time to share it!

Wishing you a Happy New Year "Alex The Great" (since you will apparently answer to anything).
    If you are out this way, and your buddy Jim isn't around, and you need anything, I've got a shop and a place to crash, and maybe some stop leak laying around somewhere.....
    What's going on? How are you?

Chris
  3. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    What's happenin, Chris? I'm happy to know another East Coaster. I never got to spend a whole lot of time in PA, but when I did, it reminded me of New York. And Ohio. And Vermont. And Michigan. Truly a unique place. Next time I'm in the area, whenever that might be, I'll be sure to drop you a line. I haven't spoken with Jim in quite some time, so I'm not really sure where he's at, physically or psychologically. He's constantly either coming, going, or staying.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the report. It's pretty cool when this thread pops up every now and again, it makes me wonder how the hell people keep stumbling onto it after it gets buried for months at a time. What's going on? Not a hell of a whole lot, to be honest with you. I'm out in southwestern Oregon taking care of DaFoole's little chunk of heaven, making improvements and whatnot. I'll probably be here for another year or two, though that's always up in the air. I'm workin full time at a local lumber mill, slowly working my way into a Millwrights position. The pay sucks, but there's not a hell of a whole lot of opportunities out here. Other than that, I don't have much to report. I go days without seeing another human being, and if I'm not working I'm sleeping.

I miss the road, man. This real life stuff is for suckers. The mind fuck that I've gone through going from total freedom to a load and a half of responsibilities is overwhelming. I miss being able to lay in the sand and know that, if I didn't move for days, it would be fine by me. Now I have a hard time even being able to relax on the weekends as I know I've got another week of work just around the corner. I have my good days and my bad, though with the onset of winter the bad seem to be gaining.

And so that's where I am. I stay busy and try not to think too far into the future as I pretty easily start to get all anxious. The goal was to live cheap for a while and see if I could get a good lead on my student loan debt while doing some good and helping out a buddy. That's still the goal, I had just thought I'd be a little farther along than I am. There's progress, though.

Man, I'm all over the place lately. I could have unloaded months of angst, but it'd just sound like I were pissing and moaning. I could have just glazed over the questions and dished out some canned response about awesomeness and carefree living, but that'd be dishonest. So there's a little taste of what's been happening. I believe the term commonly used is "Life".
  4. TwoTiredRiders

Oddometer:
    Alex, Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if you checked this thread ever or not but glad you did.
    Yes winter is a bad time for many. The gloom and doom wears on you and beats you down. The cold kicks the last ounce of life out of you. My friend Jay (a person) had to convince me today that I wasn't alone there due to the season! He said its a real condition called SAD. An acronym for something, I forget. Bottom line for many of us is that winter sucks.
    To help me snap out of my own funk I've started making plans to go back to the southwest this year for some exploring. I love the Moab area and southwest in general so that's where I'm headed. And Silverton too. After seeing the cool rides you and Jim did from there. I will stay at that campground where the guy welded your bike up. Looking for riding buddies in September. I think I will take that month off. I've taken 3 cross country month long road trips and this country is all amazing but the west is just super crazy beautiful. I hope we can meet up.
    As for Jim, yeah what is he up to? I just finished reading his 2012 high adventures report and that was another black hole like yours that just sucked me in. Had to finish it. Loved it but the best part was the two of you guys. Just like in yours I loved the part when you two were riding together, helping people, fixing broken shit, getting back to nature, etc... You need to get back on the road with that boy.
    Awesome of that dude Dafoole to hook you up with a place to stay and work for a while. Sounds a little lonely though. Ironically as much as you like to be alone and life on the road you are still a people person as anyone can see by reading the RR. You just need the right people and the right amount of people, lol.
    Well, let's get together some time.
    Catch you later....
    Chris
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Hey Alex, you don't know what responsibility is yet.Throw a wife and a couple of kids and debt on top of what you got going and then you will realize how free you are !!:rofl
    Glad to see you posting but I also miss you and Jims Ride Reports.I look forward to your next when it happens.Take care.:D
  6. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Quit being a pussy and meet a woman.
  7. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from ya Alex,hang in there,average life does suck but keep working on earning freedom chips so you can bail soon,we are working on getting narrowed down so we can jam also.
  8. Parepin

Parepin The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yeah, so far I love the West Coast. PNW, more specifically. It's amazing what a change of scenery can happen in just a day's worth of travel. From West to East, I can start at the ocean some 15 miles away, climb through the rainforest, into canyonlands, along some dry plains, river gorges, and finally mountains and the high desert, all under some 200 miles.

The people, though. The people are... different. You say I just gotta find the right kind of people, and you're right. There's an art form to finding these people, and it's something I've never been good at. For over six months I worked Nigh Shift with one other dude at the mill. He was the only other person I spoke to or interacted with on a daily basis. He smelled of cat pee, cigarette smoke, and BO. A great guy, but I stayed upwind.

I would love to get out and about a bit this summer. I try to take a couple hundred mile drive every other weekend or so, and I made a run down to California for Thanksgiving with friends which gave me a taste of the nomadic lifestyle once again. I don't know if that will happen. I'd like to make it back to New York for a few weeks, during which there's some work that needs to be done on my mom's house. She had a rough year last winter, one that she's still trying to get out from under, so if I manage to find myself the time to take a trip, that will likely be it.

I don't know how far west you plan on going, but there's a rumor that there may be a rally going on at DaFoole's place this coming summer.

You can eat me, GasGuy. Even adopting a dog has been a huge step for me. I doubt that marriage is my kind of thing, and I know for damn sure that kids aren't. I grew up poor and struggling, I can't imagine even being on the parent side of the situation and not having regular meltdowns. Then again, I hear that a wife can be a great source of support. You know, someone to lean on. I also hear that an Ex-wife can be great at accepting monthly support. So, you know....

'the fuck is that?

Freedom chips.... you know, I put way too much thought into the concept. Working to buy freedom, freedom from a situation I worked to put myself in. Then you start running the numbers. What your time is worth to your employer, what it's worth to you, and exactly how many man hours it will take to make that next step in the right direction. Then I go and get busted with $20 of herb on me weeks after legalization passes, and find myself with a fine totaling two weeks of pay and nothing I can do about it. This causes my habitual consumption to increase due to stress and angst. It's unfortunate the irony can't save me from myself.
  9. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Ya I understand,I'm still supporting a teenager and that absorbs a bunch of chips,when we lived and traveled on our sailboat we all called work a way to collect freedom chips and fuck there's always some son of a bitch waiting around the corner to unload your chips,I hope we can all be on the road soon for a extended amount of time,I've decided our next wanderings as soon as the Teen leaves will be either motorcycle or bicycles,the sailboat was nice but kinda spendy even though it was a simple boat,now we all just gotta get the fuck gone EH!Oh and keep a' smokin I'll be doin it again as soon as I can,dam company policies.
  10. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Pwi.
  11. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Da Fap II! Count me in, the first one was epic...at least the parts I remember.

Oh, and if you need an excuse for a day ride next month...
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034334

SAD = Seasonal Affective Disorder, me too. I'm hell to live with right now, especially if I don't get outside into the light of day on the weekends.
  12. TwoTiredRiders

Oddometer:
    "I don't know how far west you plan on going, but there's a rumor that there may be a rally going on at DaFoole's place this coming summer"

Alex I'd be Into that. I'd go as your "guest" as this DaFoole fellow and I haven't been formally introduced.
    I will warn you though, I'm a real bad ass. There's currently a warrant out for my arrest from my last trip to NV so I don't know if that's cool or not. You know, bringing biker types around.

I found this cool picture with pretty colors to help snap me out of my gray and black SAD existence here in the north east:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I'd love to check out Baja sometime. I'm into these old Rally trucks.

Chris
  13. TwoTiredRiders

Oddometer:
    All right already, calm down everybody. The warrants are NBD. No money will be made tipping off the man. Apparently you can have a hooker or two out there but if you have a half a dozen of them they think you are up to no good.

Move along people, there's nothing happening here.....

Ok ok, I thought you might need some SAD humor. I made up the hooker stuff and it's just a speeding ticket issue. Yes it was 105 mph. BFD. Yes we had been going a steady 130 for days on end. Things you do for entertainment and to just get there for crying out loud. The kid I was riding with was hitting 160 on his FZR1000. Now that's insane. What a maniac.
    So Alex see if you can get me back on the guest list. I'm not a bad ass.
    Kind regards, Chris
  14. DaFoole

Oddometer:
    Wait....WHAT??? :eek1
  15. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

:poser
  16. DaFoole

Oddometer:

Shaddap youse!!! :fitz

OTOH, make sure and sign up....

For whenever it is......:lol3
  17. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah .... I'll be sure to put it on my calendar :rofl
  18. sunset_ryder

sunset_ryder aka "toots"

Oddometer:
    Alex wishing sunshine your way from the beautiful Land of Enchantment!
    Little did you know I traveled along on your shoulder through Rootbeering and Resurrecting. I still have them on my subscriptions page and see them pop up from time to time and see what's going on with you.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose~ Kris Kritofferson

I think that it is important that you do respond with real "life" answers. It shows character and keeping it real was always your trademark, don't stop now.

I think when you broke Janis in half it was a sign of things to come. I for one,am still interested in (albeit herb induced) insights. You have a knack, nay a gift of analyzing events in a unique way.

Most of these epic ride reports just end, and know one knows what really happened. We know DaFoole has adopted you for a time. It's okay to talk to us about real life. A lot of us are still here, still rooting for you to have a good life whether it's in a sawmill or as The FN. Good on ya for keepng it real.:super
  19. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    +10 ! :deal
  20. Road Hound

Road Hound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alex I sure hope this comes true. I wanted to ride out last year, just couldn't get all the stars to line up. I'm going to be on the road for 6 months this year starting in April, I will be in the area. I would really like to meet you and toss back a beer or three.