The Rubicon Trail and Lake Tahoe on sub 125cc dual sports and Ct 90s, a 3 day 2 night adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Automatic, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Automatic

Automatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What started out as a passing comment from Bobby became an idea that was cemented into plans over post ride beers on our annual New Year's big bike ride. And now we're here,damn it.
    The plan is for a few of us the take street legal bikes with less than 125cc from a little town outside of Placerville, Ca up to the legendary Rubicon Trail, through the 22 miles of rocky hell then on to Lake Tahoe and return through Truckee and Soda Springs Rd before finishing at our starting point. 3 days, 2 nights and 180 miles. I even made us a little flyer to add to the comedic value of the trip.

6 days left until take off!

But first, let's start at the beginning.

Attached Files:

• ct90.jpg
      ct90.jpg
      File size:
      209.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Automatic

Oddometer:
    My trusty steed that needed an engine rebuild, carb, tires and all the usual stuff but it is clean. Also, 89cc puts me under the 125cc limit so I'm stoked to find the little beast.

Attached Files:

Motero2, Merfman, KneeDrachen and 2 others like this.
  3. Automatic

Oddometer:
    One trail 90 quickly turned into 4 since the wife will be riding too and spare parts are always helpful.

Attached Files:

4. Automatic

Oddometer:
    As it turns out, the wife kinda hates the ct90 so we luckily sourced a beautiful 1982 XL 100. My bike was prepped and hers was just getting finished up so it was time for our inaugural test ride. IMG_2531.JPG
    Meanwhile, some of the other's bikes are coming together nicely!
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    Ground up rebuild resto mod on the Cb100
    Resized_20180803_164113001_4080.jpg
    Well modified ct110 for a big guy
  5. cyclhed

cyclhed old nOOb

Oddometer:
    Im in on the CL100 above!
  6. Automatic

Oddometer:
    Up to Truckee for 40miles of testing to see what theses diminutive bikes can really do on dirt. As it turns out, they are quite capable.

Attached Files:

Motero2, larryboy, TheAdmiral and 2 others like this.
  7. iatethepeach

iatethepeach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Looks like you were up near Donner Summit? If I still lived out there I'd be pretty psyched to join in on one of my '70s Honda 100s. Thanks for posting.
  8. Automatic

Oddometer:
    Yep! We were over at Prosser and Boca. Great riding out there for the little bikes.
    Bigger Al and iatethepeach like this.
  9. Automatic

Oddometer:
    IMG_2612.JPG IMG_2620.JPG IMG_2647.JPG IMG_2631.JPG With only 2 1/2 weeks to go ,a couple of us decided it was time to do a dry run up to the first night's proposed camp spot at Spider Lake. It's only a little less than 4 miles in but our total mileage would be about 10 since we were doing an out and back with some exploring. On my modern bikes the Rubicon is pretty easy and you can rip up to the end and back in 5 hours if you take lunch. But with our micro machines....not so much. Every feature becomes a daunting task and the little parts that aren't named are tough for us too. It's hard work, slow going and very physical. But, on the upside, we got high fives and cheers from most people we met with quite a few taking pics so I guess that's a plus! With only three of us it goes decent but when there are 8 or so of us in a couple weeks it will get real funny.
    Motero2, WRC51, rjnutt and 3 others like this.
  10. tommybelvedere

tommybelvedere Adv alacarte'

Oddometer:
    Man, that's awesome! I love little Honda's, they are the best little machine out there STILL...
    Automatic likes this.
  11. Automatic

Oddometer:
    One of our last quick little test rides last night to sort out luggage and break in my second new top end in an attempt to reduce the smoking. Hah! Knocked out 30 miles of back roads and fire roads with a blistering pace of 20 mph average. Loving the XL100 all ready for adventure.

IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2698.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg
  12. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pint-sized badasses!!
    Motero2 and Automatic like this.
  13. Dick West

Dick West n00b

Oddometer:
    Give the Rubicon hell guys..........and gals!!!!!!!!
    Automatic likes this.
  14. Dick West

Dick West n00b

Oddometer:
    Well folks........today is the start of this fantastic little bike ride. I've seen some of the bikes and well..............it will be an adventure,...... just getting to the start line.
    Looking forward to the after ride posts and see who survives.
    Flag up, bikes fired up, riders ready with extra beer......................go
    Bigger Al and iatethepeach like this.
  15. tomass

tomass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a Trail 90, we had three of them. Rode them all over the desert east of San Diego, never on the Rubicon....Hell Ya
  16. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    lying on the couch with the heating pad. This photo captures how my legs, arms, and back feel after our epic yet absurd ride over the Rubicon trail. Most definitely the hardest 20 miles I've ridden/duck paddled thus far. 20180826_115000.jpg
    Foiler, AZ TOM, krautman and 8 others like this.
  17. Kingfish

Kingfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a brilliant idea and I bet was a weekend full of non-stop laughs. We need some video!
    Automatic and TheAdmiral like this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^+++^^^+++

We need more video (cow bell)! :lol3
  19. Automatic

Oddometer:
    We started off with 3 last minute flakes so we ended up with 7 total for the start of a most epic mini adventure. Our plan was to meet at The Coloma Club bar for pre ride beverages and then hopefully finish at the same place for post ride celebrations in 3 days. Hopes were high and there was a very distinct nervous energy in the air. FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    The bikes : Xl 100, Xl 125, XL 125, DT 125, CB125, CT110 and a CT90
    About 3 miles into the trip our first disaster struck. The CB125 developed a terminal lower end knock and he turned around to head for home with the hopes of grabbing his trusty GS and rejoining us in Tahoe on Saturday if we made it through. Then our second mechanical happened a mile later as the CT110's headlight started smoking! Unplugged the culprit and we were back at it. Dicey first half hour to say the least.
    IMG_2712.JPG IMG_2714.JPG
    Foiler, klaviator, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  20. Automatic

Oddometer:
    From there we worked our way up to Georgetown and then embarked on a 40 mile pavement section with 14 miles of climbing along a winding road to the start of the Rubicon Trail at Loon Lake. It's slow going for me since I have the oldest/ slowest bike and I'm 215lbs with 30lbs of camping gear but my little 1968 CT90 does a smashing good job even with having to top the pass at 10mph. We make to the trail head in a little less than two hours with no more issues.

IMG_2716.JPG
    IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2722.JPG
    Foiler, AZ TOM, rroger and 9 others like this.