The Rubicon Trail and Lake Tahoe on sub 125cc dual sports and Ct 90s, a 3 day 2 night adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Automatic, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Automatic

Automatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My parents met us at the trail head with fuel and cold Coronas so we were primed and ready for the task ahead! The first mile and half took us an hour with at least 6 crashes, a bent foot peg mount and a twisted brake pedal. It's really a shame that pics never do justice to the difficulty of the terrain but the Ct bikes only have 7" of ground clearance and I think we hit every single rock with the skid plates.
    This is definitely a team effort as one rider get through a section and then hikes back to help the others if needed or maybe just to laugh at their 1 mph crashes.

IMG_2723.JPG IMG_2728.JPG IMG_2730.JPG IMG_2733.JPG
  2. Automatic

Oddometer:
    There are two fantastic women riders in our motley group of mini bikes and they just kick ass the entire trip. Not only are they both great riders but they are super positive and tell awful jokes. IMG_2735 (1).JPG
    Foiler, AZ TOM, Brunow - 007 and 9 others like this.
  3. Automatic

Oddometer:
    We continued to work our way towards our planned first night camp site at Spider Lake, going through endless rock gardens, big slabs and increasingly difficult sections. Until, finally, we decided to check our map as it was getting pretty late in the evening. Yep, we missed our spot by a mile and a half and had just finished a terrible terrible section called Arnold's Rock so we decided to camp where we were. Turns out, that was a great decision. We had a beautiful view across the valley to Observation Point and got to be a part of the Rubicon night life with trucks coming through the trail until midnight. IMG_2737.JPG IMG_2740.JPG IMG_2743.JPG IMG_2748.JPG
    Foiler, klaviator, MYUMPH and 4 others like this.
  4. Automatic

Oddometer:
    IMG_2850.JPG

Some brave crew members party until 2am undaunted by the big and uncertain day we have ahead of us on Saturday.
    IMG_2832.JPG
    Foiler, klaviator, TheAdmiral and 4 others like this.
  5. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, when the trucks show up with the yeti full of ice cold beer at 11:30.. and you already drank the whiskey outta the hydropak..questionable judgment gets a leetle more..questionable. 20180824_193240.jpg
  6. Dick West

Dick West n00b

Oddometer:
    Great write up Auto. Anyone who knows this area has an idea what you guys, and gals accomplished. Add little bikes and 7000 feet in elevation. And running out of adult beverages. What's up with that???
    Mutt
    captain jc and Automatic like this.
  7. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell ya!

I did Loon to Tahoma for lunch in 3.5 hours on the 525EXC and people thought we were nuts riding those big bikes through there. Cant imagine riding loaded with no suspension.....you guys are tough!
    braindead0, captain jc and Automatic like this.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is hilarious. I love this ride.

"Well, when the trucks show up with the yeti full of ice cold beer at 11:30.. and you already drank the whiskey outta the hydropak..questionable judgment gets a leetle more..questionable."
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Small bikes rock!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
  10. Automatic

Oddometer:
    After some biscuits and gravy MREs with maybe a beer to chase to it, we were on our perilous way followed by our two full size monster trucks that brought in the beer late last night.

IMG_2763.JPG
    If you look closely, you'll see 5 lunatics on small bikes working their way down the slabs.
    IMG_2769.JPG
    Our first water crossing was nice and shallow but I still managed to short my tail light out which resulted in a moment of panic when I lost all power. Luckily a blown fuse was easily replaced. FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg
    Foiler, MYUMPH, larryboy and 4 others like this.
  11. Automatic

Oddometer:
    Then, after my fuse issue, we get to some more slabs which result in a broken clutch lever and one of the trucks having a nasty mechanical failure. Maybe it was just me but it seemed like ,at that moment with 3 issues within an hour and only making it 1 mile, we might be on the verge of a very bad day. After discussion, we leave the trucks to weld up their frame and strike out on our own with significant apprehension again.

IMG_2867.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG IMG_2770.JPG IMG_2774.JPG
    Foiler, AZ TOM, MYUMPH and 6 others like this.
  12. Automatic

Oddometer:
    We are immediately in the hard sections with them getting longer and more intense but we end up making really good time.

IMG_2836.JPG IMG_2779.JPG
    Of course, on the Rubicon there is going to be traffic on the weekends and we use the time to take a much needed break.
    IMG_2837 (1).JPG
    Mid way down one of the worst sections was this nasty little mud pit to get our tires wet for the next part.

IMG_2778.JPG
    Foiler, AZ TOM, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  13. Automatic

Oddometer:
    After an other long part we take a much earned water stop and enjoy the fact that we're getting closer to being done with the really hard sections. Unfortunately, the last feature is Cadillac Hill and it is a towering behemoth to us and our tiny little machines.

IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2873.JPG IMG_2789.JPG IMG_2787 (1).JPG
    Foiler, MYUMPH, larryboy and 5 others like this.
  14. Automatic

Oddometer:
    The first slab was steep but the middle section required a full team assault to complete. We pulled, pushed, hiked and abused our bikes for the next 3/4 of a mile in hopes of finishing our final hard feature.

IMG_2876.JPG IMG_2874.JPG IMG_2877.JPG IMG_2878.JPG
    Foiler, AZ TOM, captain jc and 7 others like this.
  15. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
  16. Dick West

Dick West n00b

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:clap
  17. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found big sluice's deep holes and that damn off camber concrete step on Cadillac to be the ost challenging parts. I fell on both of those obstacles.

Looking good!
    captain jc likes this.
  18. Automatic

Oddometer:
    Finally, we make it the top and start making our way towards pavement on the final 8 miles of dirt. The views are great and it's so nice to be able to keep our feet on the pegs for more than 5 minutes at a time. Still a bit of a challenge with 4" of travel though.

IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG
    Foiler, AZ TOM, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  19. Automatic

Oddometer:
    IMG_2797.JPG IMG_2795.JPG
    MYUMPH, rjnutt and iatethepeach like this.
  20. Automatic

Oddometer:
    After exactly 24 hours since we started, we finish the Rubicon Trail on little 125cc or less adventure bikes.... 9 hours of actual ride time, 3 mechanicals, probably a 12 small crashed and many beers.
    We actually did it. High fives and cheers as our lost crew member rejoins us on his GS for the last day and half. My pops and his friend even rode up to through Tahoe to see us finish this part. IMG_2865.JPG

Walter, the little 1968 ct90 that is my trusty old steed.

IMG_2799.JPG