The Rubicon Trail and Lake Tahoe on sub 125cc dual sports and Ct 90s, a 3 day 2 night adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Automatic, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Automatic

Automatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been asked a lot how hard it actually was for us on our inappropriate bikes. These two pics I think answer the question. One is my fellow Ct 110 rider laying on the ground of the bathroom with a half empty Coors and the other is my top tube covered in sweat that has been pouring from my helmet.
    IMG_2866.JPG IMG_2810.JPG
    Foiler, jonz, Bigger Al and 4 others like this.
  2. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    This ride will go down in history! It's one thing to do the rubicon in "suitable" vehicles... this was.. something else ;-)... Wish I could have gone, but my days of sleeping on the ground are long gone....
    Automatic and TheAdmiral like this.
  3. Automatic

Oddometer:
    After a little post hard sections celebration at the end of the dirt, we head into town and work our way along the west shore of the Lake Tahoe for beers and burgers. Such a feeling of relief and accomplishment washes over the group and I can see dusty smiles in all of our helmets. It's a bitter sweet dinner since two of the group are finishing up in Tahoe since they live there and have already done the Soda Springs section that we've still got ahead of us on Sunday. They did it! First ones to complete the Rubicon not so Express Ride! Great food and laughs before we make yet an other beer stop and head for our campsite near Truckee with a low of 34 degrees.

IMG_2802.JPG IMG_2804.JPG
    MYUMPH, captain jc, Bigger Al and 2 others like this.
  4. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cadillac was brutal. It was only through a feeling of "holy-shit I've gotta get myself outta here" determination and the badassedness of the group that pulled me up this heart pounding, muscle wrecking, fucked up named side of a granite mountain. Big ups to Automatic for making sure all the bikes got through the gnarliest section:beer
    Automatic and Bigger Al like this.
  5. Dick West

Dick West n00b

Oddometer:
    For anyone who doesn't know about the Rubicon, it can be one of theeee hardest trails around. Add in the fact that these Little ADV bikes have hardly any suspension, ground clearance and under 10 Hp. Most around the 5-6 Hp range, this is a one hell of a trip. Automatic takes it pretty personal to make sure everyone is safe and ok. Yeah, he probably charged them a beer or two...........
    A lot of places on the Rubicon would be hard to walk, let alone walk trying to carry, push your Little ADV bike. A lot of credit goes to these riders for getting this handled. Its one thing to drive thru in a mega rig with 44s and 400 Hp and 24 inch of clearance. Its quite another to get up and personal with the trail on Little ADV bikes. Good job. Well done!!
  6. Automatic

Oddometer:
    IMG_2808.JPG IMG_2809.JPG IMG_2814.JPG IMG_2815.JPG After a pretty lack luster camp site on Saturday night we pack up, head into Truckee for two stroke mix and breakfast before embarking on our last 110 miles. We top Donner Pass at a break neck speed of 15mph and head down through the Soda Springs Rd.
  7. Automatic

Oddometer:
    IMG_2816.JPG IMG_2817.JPG IMG_2818.JPG IMG_2882.JPG It's easy going with lots of great views. We even decide to get in some extra credit by taking a small detour up to Duncan's Peak Lookout.
    AZ TOM, MYUMPH, Bigger Al and 2 others like this.
  8. Automatic

Oddometer:
    IMG_2822.JPG With that being our last dirt of the trip, we head down through Foresthill , then through the Confluence by Auburn and up to our finish in Coloma! All the bikes do great being held wide open for 2 hours on the pavement except Walter who decides to leak oil from ever single gasket.
    And just like that, it's over with celebratory beers and laughs. Final tally was 185 miles of pavement, fire roads and more rocks than I care to ever see again. Well, until next year. Looks like we'll do it again! If you've got a Ct, love suffering as much as beer then join us in 358 days. Thanks for reading along!
  9. braindead0

Oddometer:
    Bravo!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    Automatic likes this.
  10. Dick West

Dick West n00b

Oddometer:
    Good ride guys......Amazing ride and write up.
    Automatic likes this.
  11. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True adventure!
    andymach23 likes this.
  12. ADVraider

ADVraider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man amazing adventure! Do you happen to have a GPX file for the route?
  13. braindead0

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bumping this classic... re-read worth it.. Reminds me of the good old days when people were made of sterner stuff... or the trail wasn't as rashed out as now?

Foiler and captain jc like this.
  14. captain jc

captain jc wahoo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I swore i would never do this again, but after rereading @Automatic awesome write-up and remembering the fun parts...
    Too bad I sold lil Sheila, am now over 50 and fatter than i was 3 years ago, I'll have to pass this year
  15. braindead0

Oddometer:
    I'm over fity..... not thin by any stretch and thinking about hitting parts of the Rubicon. No way I'm doing overnight, if I can't take my travel trailer and the comfy bed I ain't doing it ;-)
    captain jc and Foiler like this.