The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I feel kind of bad saying it, but I couldn't stomach spending $185 to try a Salomon pack. I ordered something that looks similar from Ali express for about $35. If I really use it I'll probably upgrade.
    catweasel67 likes this.
  2. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Heh, yeah, it wasn't cheap - but my brother recommended it and it does the job. Cheaper ones will, I am sure, also do the job.

FWIW I'm not a huge fan of using a bladder when I run (although I love them on the bike) so the bladder compartment is a bit wasted on me. I didn't know that before so comme ci, comme ├ža.
    I don't like the squishie bottles that it comes with, I prefer hard bottles. My brother's the reverse - so he got my squishies.
    The zips (they're rather fine) are prone to sticking/jamming because of sweat but it's nothing a bit of vinegar won't cure.

On the plus side, it's got gallons (well, OK, litres) of storage (especially when you're not using the bladder) and all sorts of nooks and crannies. It takes standard 750ml cycling style waterbottles, one in each of the two breast pockets, is super adjustable and very secure to run with. Price aside, it's a 5 star buy.
  3. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of running gear I love. . . . here's my nomination, at least for right now (I'm going to leave shoes out of this for now, not just because they're so personal, but because there's sooooo many I don't want to pretend like I've done any sort of scientific sample).

[​IMG]

My patagonia visor. I don't like running with sunglasses very much, they get sweat on them and they move around more than I like. Didn't want to wear a hat while running, I like the ventilation. So I got the visor- and it's all I hoped for. And what's more, as good as it is on sunny days, it's almost better on rainy days- it's so much easier to see when you keep the rain off your eyes. I still do my night runs with out it, because I haven't quite figured out how to wear the visor and a headlamp, but otherwise it's coming with me on every run.
  4. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, to put slackmeyer into a thinking mood... SHOES! :-)

My trail race is in Feb, so I'm thinking I should get some shoes for it and my Pearl Izumi Trail N2 are long in the tooth. I'm at 253 miles on them but it took me a couple of years to do that... :shog

I was fitted for those and told by a reputable running shop that I'm a neutral/supinator so stay away from support and motion control shoes. Odd thing is that my daily wear is 10.5 and even sometimes a 10 depending on mfr and toebox design but my running shoes are 11.5. :dunno

I've run up to a tick over 7 miles with them (shaddup you long-distance runners) and felt comfortable but my left ankle gives me a fit for the next three days due to minor arthritis from a football injury in my carefree adolescence. runaround.GIF

Here's the three I've narrowed my choices down to as replacements. I get 90 days to evaluate, so I'm not totally committed but hate the process of swapping/returning if unnecessary.

Shoes.PNG
  5. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Looking up those shoes, it seems like you've got two super cushy shoes (Salomon and PI), and one very firm, lugged shoe designed for tough mudder races. I kind of think you might try something a bit more mid range in the cushion, or at least take a look- like the Salomon sense pro, or nike wildhorse 3.
    The PI shoes really seem to have a following among some runners. But they're going to stop making running shoes at the end of the year I think, so stock up if you find one that's perfect for you.

I went for a group run last night, a first for me- it's the weekly tuesday evening trail run here in Berkeley. It ended up being a bit shorter and faster than I expected, because of some miscommunications, and people wanting to get home and watch the news. Fun though, and it was fun to watch the actual fast runners ahead of me chatting with each other as they took off out of sight up the hill ahead of me. We ran about 4 miles, and then I went on a little cool down couple miles by myself- it was a good evening.

I picked up some more "trail" running shoes recently, vasque something or other (I honestly can't remember, I bought them used but not actually used from someone, and got them for $40, didn't really pick them out as an ideal shoe). They work fine, no discomfort, but I find that I really like running in a shoe designed mostly for road, even when I'm on fairly rocky trails. My normal shoes (Skechers gorun ride 4) are lighter, softer, and actually grip rocks well because they conform a lot more than a shoe with a rock plate in it. I also got a pair of high cushion shoes to try, they're pretty good too, but I often don't like how wide they are- it can be a bit tricky on narrow trails, and the leverage works against you when running on side slopes.

You know Ridge, the N+1 rule applies to shoes too. . . . and anyway, I think it's good to rotate through at least a couple different pair, and have them be different enough that it works your feet in different ways.
    Ridge likes this.
  6. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in zero exercise mode, outside walking maybe at this point. Another few weeks I can begin running.
    #stupidwork
  7. Maritimer

Maritimer Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Mr Head - I hear ya on the #stupidwork. Wow, 4 projects all hitting the fan simultaneously.
    Worked from home yesterday and still couldn't carve out a hour in the daylight for a ride. Manged to get about 35 minutes on the trainer last night and a 5k run on Monday evening.

3 day weekend starting in a few hours here. Weather mixed but I'll ride on Sunday regardless of the weather. Currently forecasting about 7C (44F) and sunny. That's riding weather to me.
    Mr Head likes this.
  8. Ridge

Oddometer:
    This is the breakdown of the shoes. The Pearl N2-v3 are what I'm currently wearing. I guess my thought was that the extra cush on the Salomon or other Pearls would help with the ankle fatigue? :dunno The Merrell were included due to the race's timing in February and trying to keep my feet dry-ish.

Current Shoes:

Shoes - PI Trail N2-v3.PNG

Merrell:

Shoes - Merrell All Out Crush.PNG

Salomon Sense-Propulse:

Shoes - Salomon Sense Propulse.PNG

Pearl Izumi N3:

Shoes - PI Trail EM-N3.PNG
  9. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Well, it has the N3 in the medium stack height, so that's probably good. I think you should try out something with lower drop, to see how it works for you- 4mm or so. But that Nike I mentioned also has a drop of around 8.
    Honestly, there's so many shoes out there these days. . . you're going to have to try a few things and figure out what feels good, and you may end up strengthening your ankles enough that your fatigue goes away no matter the shoe.

Drain holes are nice. I've got one pair that has drain holes, and they really work to let the water out of the shoe within a few paces after running through a puddle or stream.

Edit: These.
    Ridge likes this.
  10. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to feel guilty about the bicycles gathering dust (to say nothing of the motorcycles covered by tarps. I'll have to go for a little ride pretty soon here, to make sure my legs still know how to go in circles.
  11. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    .... digging in back of closet for five finger....:hide
  12. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I've not considered Skechers, at all, since in my mind they are more of a "casual athletic" shoe mfr. My office is around the corner from a Tanger outlet center that has a Skechers store so I'll have to go check them out.

:dunno

Moderate NSFW language...

catweasel67 likes this.
  13. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, check them out. My main shoes are the go run ride 4. Looks like I have about 320 miles on them, and they're holding up great. My wife put almost 500 miles on her first pair before switching to a fresh pair.
  14. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Online charts are neat and all, but if you go to a running store, staffed by runners, you'll get a better shoe.
    Ridge likes this.
  15. Ridge

Oddometer:
    That's what I did with the two pair I currently have and I'll likely go back to the same shop for my new pair. Just wanted some input on different models I'm considering. I use the detailed data on the running shoe store sites to drill down and decide before I find them locally. :thumb
    Mr Head likes this.
  16. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Shoe wise, I suffered, a lot, with knee, Achilles tendon and ankle pain post run - but I switched up to Hoka (max cushioning) and custom orthotics and ever since then, things have been good. That's a lot to do with my feet though - wide with very high arches.

Anyway, thought I'd pop in and see how people's training is going?

I'm currently doing about 30km flat during the week with situps, pushups and highsteps along the way and then, on the weekend, a steep hill ride and run of about 25km to 30km (nothing massive 1 in 4, in 1 in 5), trail run around the top of the hill and then return, on the bike via a trail - throwing the bike into the mix really feels like it's helping a lot but not as much as the core work and steps I'm doing on the other runs.

I wish I liked swimming but it's bloody tedious.
  17. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    I should probably do some core work. I've never been good at that, though I'm always stronger in that area when I'm rock climbing a lot (which I'm not now).

I'm holding at about the same- my main goal right now is to run more miles per week and days per week than I was. So I'm trying to at least run 3 times/week and get around 20 miles per week. Not that much I know, but it's more than I was doing. I'm still trying to do one high intensity run per week, and that's usually the easy part. The hard thing is to really take it easy and do longer runs- time always feels so hard to come by that I want to run hard.

I did do one bike ride this week instead of a run. That was fun, but the road part of the ride is not all that appealing these days, and the trail/dirt part is about to turn into a mudfest with rain coming in tomorrow. It's so much easier to wash off a pair of running shoes and throw my shirt and shorts in the wash than it is to deal with a bike coated in sticky clay.
  18. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran X-country and college and at a reasonable level post-college for about 2.5 years before life and a problem with stress fractures took me out of the game. Just in the past 8 months, have rallied and gradually working back into it.

Previously ran 2 marathons. Never again. Unless you're a freak athlete or are blessed to work from home, it's damn hard to train at the mileage and discipline requires.

4-5 half marathons. Enjoyable, and you can train at a good pace and still keep it interesting. Cross training or core workouts is important to keep your hip and back fresh.

15k/10k. Best events, IMO. You can still be an average joe shmo and train hard enough to accomplish a good time. Plus, at least in FL, there's a ton of local events. And for someone like me that relies more on their endurance and needing a few miles to settle in, best event to get solid results.

5k. Easy to do and train. But to me, $25-$30 for a race is too much. Unless it's a trail 5k, which are fun. Screw beach runs, it ruins your hips.

Best thing for running is to try and setup multiple routes with different mileage cutoffs. That way you don't get bored with the same routine. When I was in college, I had probably 15-20 routes I could hit, anywhere from 4 miles to 20.

Running does have an impact on your body, but if you also ride any off-road motorcycles or similar, it pays off big dividends. My section times in enduros have dropped on average 2-3 minutes with no extra riding. Plus I don't feel death on the day after.

Hope some of you post results. Maybe we have a friendly comp for times in age groups?
  19. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Most definitely. Since I started running (with a goal) a year ago. Riding my 990 off road is much more fun.

Friendly comp times for this 45yo
    10k --- 49min 55sec
    Half Marathon --- 1hr 53min 12sec (Big Sur a little over a week ago)

Steve
    Mr Head likes this.
  20. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Nice times!

2 hours 4 for my HM (only did the one - loathed it), and 22 something mins for the 5km (again, only the one, hated every minute) - both were several years ago and both were on the road - gimme trails anyday.

Anyway, talking of trails..

FWIW - https://www.sportsshoes.com/ have got some pretty nice deals right now - Hoka Challenger ATR 2s for 50 quid.