The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a number of routes to run along the Chicago lakefront going down to Indiana and up to Wisconsin depending on how far I want to run and what time of day/night. I work out in the suburbs of Chicago and during the week I often run at lunch. There are a number of good routes out there with hills even that are nice and tree lined for your running pleasure. Although there are many other runners swigging their cute little tusshies back and forth along the lakefront path to hold your attention and chase after ;)

From a 52YO (I hate seeing that number there)

5k: 22:19 (2016)
    10k: 48:34 (2016)
    half: 1:56:45 (2015)

During the several half-marathons I have done the temperature has been over 80 which is too damn hot to run that distance of a race and have a good time I think. I've done under 2 hours on normal runs of 13 miles.
    DeepSea likes this.
  2. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I ran a flat 8 miles today, I usually like going up and down more and getting a little bit of trail. But I wanted something a bit different, so an out and back on the multi use trail with lots of street crossings was it. From today: 10k=50:30, 5k around 23:30. All the times I've run half marathon distances or more were hilly and part trail, usually times around 2:10-2:30. I'd like to think I could run a more normal street half marathon under 2 hours, but I haven't done it.
    I feel like going and running some hills tomorrow to make up for today's lack of elevation gain.
    catweasel67 likes this.
  3. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Longest run yet for me yesterday. I'd forgotten I needed a long run on the weekend and left out much later than I should have. Still, I wore hi-viz yellow reflective vest, red rear light, headlamp, and a white chest light to stay visible. Didn't seem to matter... people are assholes behind the wheel of a motor vehicle, no matter how visible you are.

Solid, 9.1 miles in 1.5 hours. Really trying to keep HR below 160 to encourage Tempo training but body isn't cooperating right now. Doesn't help that I've been inconsistent in training schedule with the Holidays all around.

Shoe hunt is still on.
  4. AZIFFEL

AZIFFEL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For your tempo work what cadence are you striving for, footfalls per minute?
  5. Ridge

Oddometer:
    My goal is consistent 180 but reality says that I'm really working to stay above 160spm and keep my HR at a sustainable rate.
  6. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    How do you measure that? I try to keep my cadence quick on all my runs, and it's becoming more natural, but I have no way of figuring it. It's nice the once in a while that I run with better more experienced runners- I do learn things. I try to match cadence, and now I'm working on the follow through of my foot kicking up more after it leaves the ground- basically having more of a full stride, while not extending my tibia past vertical on the front leg.

Ridge, you've been doing better than I getting runs in, I've lost a bit of momentum these last couple weeks. Holidays are busy. . . I need to get some 10+ milers in soon.
    Ridge likes this.
  7. AZIFFEL

AZIFFEL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Run for 1 min counting just when your right foot touches, multiply x 2.

To visualize form march in place with the soul of your rising foot parallel to your planted leg. Transition from the march to running by leaning forward, keeping your foot strikes under your hips. This will tax your hams, glutes, and calves as well as your cardio until you've built up your stamina. Keep track of your distance once you can no longer maintain 170 per minute and track this over time. Once you start loping with forward foot strikes you've reached your limit of efficient running.

I'm not a coach but I've been fortunate enough to have had a coach of note. my .02.
  8. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    I should try that sometime- I don't run with a watch or anything to look at the time on, but I could sometime. Most of my runs are after dark these days.

I don't quite get what you're saying about form- what should I think about the sole of my foot being parallel to? The thigh of my planted leg?

I started running thinking that I should take long strides, which of course led to landing on my heel every stride. I backed off that for my normal runs, and started doing higher cadence slow runs some of the time, where I was just mincing along. That definitely helped. At this point I feel pretty good on my long runs, but I do feel like I'm sometimes doing a fast shuffle- my feet don't get very far off the ground, and describe a short arc, but my legs do ok for runs up to about 20 miles so far. The knee problems I had in the first 6 months of running (and starting 15 years ago while hiking and bicycling) have disappeared. So that's good. But going any faster than 8 min miles is a lot of work for me, so I'd like to improve that. I'll think about that form and try measuring cadence.
  9. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    DeepSea and Ridge like this.
  10. Ridge

Oddometer:
    That, or... if you're like me and will put yourself to sleep counting those steps; invest in a Wahoo TickrX. It aggregates all the data into one device. DC Rainmaker Review here.
  11. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks really cool. Unfortunately their website is a disaster and trying to get an answer to a simple question from them is proving to be more hassle than it's worth. I now have a password protected account so I can ask them a quick question (WTF). It makes me worried that after sale support will be equally challenging if I run into an issue.

Does anyone know if this is compatible with the Concept2 rowing monitor (PM5)?
  12. Ridge

Oddometer:
    I've owned a Wahoo HRM since they first launched and have had two replaced/upgraded. Same as you, I created an account on the site for support but they have been excellent about talking through my issues and connectivity problems. I bought it knowing they were a new company with a product that was unlike anything else so I expected some Beta growing pains. I'm hard on my training equipment and have high expectations for laying out that kind of money but they've exceeded my expectations for support so I pulled the trigger on the "X" model.

I've been very pleased with it but Wahoo (the company) has some beef with Garmin so I cannot import my runs into Garmin Connect directly from the Wahoo app as I used to last year. Wahoo says it's Garmin's fault for blocking 3rd party vendors from playing in their pool. I tend to believe that since Garmin launched their own rival to the Wahoo HRM platform with their Garmin HRM-Run about the same time I started having the connection issues.

I aggregate all my training into Training Peaks and Strava for logging my gear/equipment usage. Garmin Connect was just a nice bonus since it forwarded all my training sessions into both of those without extra steps.
  13. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Wahoo HRM. I have had very few issues with it. Their other stuff I've had have been junk. The cadence and speed sensor began draining batteries and would work only off and on when it did work. Also did not fit my bike's stays at all so the speed pick-up was out in the breeze where it could get knocked around. The computer/RFLKT+ was hit or miss many times if it would work at all. It would drop the phone sync a lot. The back doesn't fit easily with the seal so was an issue to replace the battery. I fought with it a lot, and finally gave up after it worked, then didn't. The firmware would only tell you it needed to update when you connected to the phone, and there was nothing to indicate battery health, but it would display the phone battery.
    I quit trying to deal with it.
    I see a business opportunity with this stuff since it is all designed as garbage. I'd want induction rechargeable capability for any sensors or displays on the bike. Also completely wireless so the least amount of exposure of frail elements. HRM's and powermeters for shoes both need this charging feature. But, I don't care a wit what my power is running. I don't even look at my phone or listen to music when I do run. I can't hear well enough to make that safe. If I turn up the music loud enough I can hear I definitely won't hear any traffic approaching from the rear and certainly not if it is foot traffic.
    So far the Wahoo HRM is still functional, but is coming up on a year old. With the other Wahoo products that has been about the time limit of their lives.
  14. AZIFFEL

AZIFFEL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly simplistic when it comes to technical aids, gps watch, and finger for pulse on neck. I have nothing against the gizmos but for me running is a freedom activity. Today's run 4mi @ 6:24s
    slackmeyer likes this.
  15. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of my friends have gps and heart rate gizmos. I have an older garmin gps watch, kind of big, but it does the job pretty well. I don't care too much for the hr thing; I focus more on certain pace or mileage.
    AZIFFEL likes this.
  16. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Why you guys trying to ruin running with all the gizmos? Go out and run.
  17. octatonic

octatonic Semi-professional Leprechaun

Oddometer:
    I run 5km on a regular basis.
    I started doing it a couple of years ago and did so without much of a plan.
    This year I started trying to get my 5km time down and started a tally of how far I had run in the year.
    I am nearly at 1000km (targeting it for the end of the year) and my time is down from around 30 mins to just under 22 mins.
    Next year I want to run 1200km so going to extend my run to 6km.

Oh and I lost 2 stone doing this.
  18. Bruincounselor

Oddometer:
    Because just going for a run doesn't work for me. The more/better data I can collect the more I can track my progress.
  19. Bruincounselor

Oddometer:
    I'll add that the high temp today was 0F.
  20. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Jeez, that's hardcore. I'm headed back to my hometown for the holidays, highs around freezing this coming week. I'm unsure whether I'll do any running up there- my first priority is always xc skiing, but I may go for a run too.