The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Bummer. There has been a lot of that going around. I've opted out of quite a few workouts. Jumping on the trainer instead of running in a "winter storm" (even though the calendar says it's spring):patch.

Look on the bright side. At least you'll be there on fresh legs. :hide :lol3

Good luck and hope you find your motivation sooner rather than later. :deal

Steve
  2. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pneumonia. No running for a month now. I've only managed three sick days at work though.
  3. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Hamstring tendonitis?

Weird pain on the back of my left knee, slightly towards the outside.
    Been bugging me for months... been icing and foam (4" PVC) rolling as of late; after trying just an extended rest period (3 weeks?) which worked for daily activities, but apparently wasn't enough. Tried running last weekend and it flared right up.

Other tips? What would be some good strengthening exercises?
  4. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Does it feel deep inside the knee? A good friend of mine had an issue deep inside more towards the back. It had something to do with hyper-extending it. I'll see him tomorrow and ask him what it was called and how he got thru it.

Hope you all heal up fast. :deal

Tomorrow I'm running with my uncle. He turned 63, 3 months ago and is running his first half marathon.

Edit, he's actually 61.
    Steve
  5. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Nah, not deep. Pretty sure its the stringy thing just under the skin,
    which I think is the hamstring tendon??
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Bless me ADV for I have sinned. I haven't run in a week. Thurs was the last scheduled run and I took a nap instead.

Sunday ended up being a gravel ride on the backside of MCB Quantico with my former neighbor D. I after riding with D, I'm usually in no condition to run

M
    DeepSea likes this.
  7. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Ran the Modesto Marathon (half distance) with my uncle yesterday. It was his first race. He did great.
    [​IMG]
    This is pre warm up. Everyone looks good (relatively speaking) at the starting line. :lol3 It turned out to be a beautiful day too. Best weather we've had in months. Sunny and 70's.

Steve
    DirtyRoadie and Bloodweiser like this.
  8. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Not to be the sky is falling kind of guy, but I would play it safe and see a doctor. Good luck and hope it heals fast.

Steve
    Bloodweiser likes this.
  9. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 59 years old. I have been a runner off and on, mostly on, since about 1978. I also walk with the wife, mountain bike in the mountains and lift a few weights. I am not Charles Atlas but I think I was in OK shape.

Last September I was going for a run and stepped on some debris on the sidewalk, resulting in breaking the 5th metatarsal in my left foot. Surgery, a plate and a few screws and then off my feet for a few months. I started running again in February a little bit, but I have lost a huge chunk of my fitness level. I can literally run about a third of what I was doing when I got hurt. It sucks. Mountain biking will also be a challenge fitness wise. Did I mention it sucks? Don't break your foot.
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    What part of your stride is the pain present?
    Bloodweiser likes this.
  11. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Push off on the left leg.
  12. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s getting real IMG_5035.jpg
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. Good luck. I'm excited for you.:beer
    Steve
    smithe likes this.
  14. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, finally getting excited! Been a super tourist while in Boston, so much to see. IMG_5078.jpg IMG_5075.jpg
    swimmer and DeepSea like this.
  15. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. Got to say, even wearing jeans you look fast. :nod

I survived the 50K on Mt. Diablo today. My time was faster than last year (7:18 vs 7:35). Biggest take away is how much better I feel at the finish line.

Steve
    smithe likes this.
  16. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Good work Steve, that's a hard 50k. How much of the improvement was fitness vs experience (better pacing, nutrition, keeping yourself cool) do you think?
    DeepSea likes this.
  17. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Wait, isn't it supposed to be almost as crappy weather as last year right now?
    smithe likes this.
  18. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Great question. I definitely have more experience than last years race. The minor mistakes I made last year, didn't happen this year. Also having the Icecot that Jacob showed me during the TRT last year helped quite a bit. A bag of ice, mid day, after a 3,500' climb around your neck is a game changer. :nod

Some/most of the improved time may be from the experience alone. The way I felt after is absolutely better fitness. Nutrition this time was 100% by feel. No actual plan. I brought the standard trail hummingbird fuel (gels, chews, etc.), but ate more real food at the aid stations. There was a great group of volunteers out there. Hand them a pack, say water and ice please. It would get done with a smile while I grazed and grabbed things to go.

Next race is the Silver State 50miler. That ought to be a good one. :deal
  19. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    What a sprint finish to the men's race in Boston today. It was about as close as a 100 meter sprint.

DeepSea, slackmeyer and smithe like this.
  20. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weather ended up being way hotter than they expected and I was not ready for it, I suffered a lot. Still what an amazing experience, crowds of people everywhere. The waiting area before the race is a mess! Almost to the finish! IMG_5089.jpg IMG_5102.jpg