The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ugh...soggy shoes before the gun goes off...reminds me of my XC days.
  2. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been running with some pain since before Boston but it was bad at that race, enough that my knee felt like it popped and gave out on me, turns out I have a torn meniscus, maybe some other damage. Good times!
  3. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Oh man, sorry to hear that. Hope it heals up fast.
    smithe likes this.
  4. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man, so sorry to read this Smithe. I remember a doctor I met (Dr Jordan Metzel, I wanna say) that had some knee issue like meniscus or ACL and through glute, quad and hamstring strengthening he was able to continue to run as well as do long distance triathlons. The thinking there was to take as much strain off the joint and put it on the muscles.

Hope you heal quickly and get back out there soon.

Jeff
    smithe likes this.
  5. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody running Sehgahunda Saturday? It's been raining non stop here in western NY for the last 3 days with temps in the 40s. Should be a challenging run with way too much mud. It'll be my first Marathon and unfortunately because of Plantar Fasciitis I haven't been able to train properly. Finishing under the time limit is my only goal.
    DeepSea likes this.
  6. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Not I, wrong coast. I'll be running in the Silver State 50M in Reno, NV. It's calling for rain there as well. Hopefully it's not too bad. I hear the first 6 miles can be rough when raining.

If I looked up the right one. Sehgahunda looks like a point to point trail race. Very cool. :thumb

Bummer about the PF giving you problems. It's a winnable fight, even if it doesn't feel like it. You just need to find the root of the problem. Mine was the Soleus muscle getting tight. Keeping it stretched/massaged and loose has changed everything. If I slack on the "maintenance" of it, the PF tries to come back. Now that I know what to look for, I stay ahead of it. Pain is a great reminder. :lol3

Good luck on your race and let us know how it goes. Hope it all goes well.

Quick question, has anyone tried Cryogenic therapy? I've heard good things, read good things, but have only talked to one person that's actually done it. He is a young guy that does/tries all the fads. Has the coolest gadgets, etc. Not to be negative, but I'm skeptical of his opinion.

Steve
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  7. DirtyRoadie

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Yes, it's a point to point trail. It is a beautiful trail that I've ridden a hundred times on a mountain bike but never ran. Should be fun despite the pain. Forecast looks good for race day with sun and a starting temp of 45 degrees headed to 60. Some more rain between now and then, but it's rained so much in the last month or two that it won't really matter.
    Good luck on your 50K, and thanks for the tip on the Soleus.
    DeepSea likes this.
  8. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Good luck on Silver State 50m Steve, I have several friends that just love that race.
    I've got the Tilden Tough 10 coming up on Sunday, a classic local low key race on a rolling paved path, except the final mile out/first mile back, which is a nasty steep dirt road and it's going to be insanely muddy and slick this year. I'm hoping to go sub-80 minutes again this year, I don't think I have much hope of going sub 70, especially not with the mud. Should be fun. And hopefully I recover from that quick, because next Friday I'm attempting a fastest known time on a 35 mile long route between the four highest mountains (ok, hills) in Sonoma County. With friends, so I really don't want to drag the group down too much.
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  9. DirtyRoadie

Oddometer:
    Sehguhunda trail marathon was awesome ! Unbelievable mud, worst year ever according to many who have run it in the past. It was about an inch below my knees at one spot and I'm pretty tall ! Anyway, it was my first marathon and I got 2nd in my age group. (sometimes it's good to be old ish. 53) I grabbed a pair of Saucony Peregrines last week to see how they worked with my Plantar Fasciitis and they were great. I did have foot pain but never enough to slow me down too much.
    DeepSea likes this.
  10. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Congrats! That's great.

Did you get the new Saucony Peregrine ISO? I demoed those (for 6 hard trail miles) and liked them a lot, I may buy a pair at some point. I'm waiting to see if people say they hold up well, I know some of the previous versions had issues with durability, and I hate buying shoes that only last a couple hundred miles. Then again, other previous Peregrines sound like really durable shoes.
  11. DirtyRoadie

Oddometer:
    I got the Peregrine 8s. They were on closeout at Running Warehouse for 49 bucks ! They had 6 reviews on the RW website and all but 1 were bad. I looked at other websites and they had really good reviews so I took a chance and ordered figuring that if they sucked, for 49 bucks I would just use them around the house and for walking. For the marathon I had my wife meet me at the checkpoints with my New Balance Hierros, which are extremely cushy but tend to cause me to roll my ankles on tricky terrain due to their high stack height. I ran the whole race with the Peregrines and today my feet don't feel too bad. I actually went on RW and ordered another pair today to keep around for when these are done. From what I've read on multiple reviews is that the bottoms wear really well, and they are super grippy, but the uppers wear fast, but again 49 bucks.
    slackmeyer, DeepSea and smithe like this.
  12. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my Peregrine's, mostly use them for backpacking and they hold up a very long time to serious abuse.
    DeepSea and DirtyRoadie like this.
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    We were lucky enough to not get rained or snowed on yesterday. Aside from the gusting wind during the end of the day it was pretty nice. This is the only picture I took during the race.
    [​IMG]

There were a few snow drifts on the course and even one spot were we had to slide down the snow back onto the trail. Wearing gloves was a definite bonus.

It was a tough course and I beat my 50 mile PR by over an hour.

This picture says it all.
    [​IMG]

View from our hotel. The night before the race, right after I fell asleep. Fireworks went off just past the El Dorado. Sleep is over rated. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Steve
  14. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    It was a great race and the best marked course I've ever ran on.
    smithe likes this.
  15. heysyb

heysyb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Way to go Steve!!! Outstanding effort and yes that pic says it all. Rest well.
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  16. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I was fighting a cold leading up to the race. Friday I thought that I may not even start. Saturday morning I felt great. Today not so much. Pretty sure today will consist of knocking out the "must do" list then sleeping the rest of the day. :sick

Steve
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  17. DirtyRoadie

Oddometer:
    Great job Steve, I can't imagine running a 50. You rock.
    DeepSea likes this.
  18. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Thanks. :wave

I've had a few of the Peregrines. I really loved my 6's. The 7's fit slightly different (and don't have the rock plate if I remember right), but I still like them. My daughter bought me a pair of 8's for Christmas that haven't came out of the box yet. For the record, I ran this 50 in Altra Lone Peak 3.5's.

Do any of you run with a pack? Saturday, my hydration bladder was giving me trouble. At times it was tough coming in and out of the pack. Twice it got stuck. The slide wouldn't open, killing a lot of time at aid stations. :umph Today I ordered one of these. I'm good with hand carrying bottles for short runs and I like how fast they are to refill. Although I really like a pack for the long haul and to carry fuel, etc.. I'm hoping this is the best of both worlds. :dunno

Steve
  19. DirtyRoadie

Oddometer:
    I do my long runs with an old Camelback that I used for biking for the last 15 years. It hold 70 ozs and has a huge opening that is outside the pack, which makes for super fast and easy refills. I ran the Altra Lone Peak 4.0 for a little bit last summer, then my Achilles tendon on my left leg started hurting a lot so I went back to a shoe with some drop. I plan on trying them again as I loved their traction and agility.
    DeepSea likes this.
  20. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Bless me ADV for I am continually sinning. I haven't run since the time change in the spring.

Cycling has taken all my time. I'm getting ready (using the term loosely) for the Hilly Billy Roubaix. Once that's over, training for CX season starts and running gets re-introduced into my training.

It's gonna suck out loud for a bit. :nod

:ricky

M
    DeepSea likes this.