The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Starting back up is the toughest part.
  2. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    6km trail run last nite. Things are achy this AM.

Not as bad as the last time as I started running again, but...

M
    DeepSea likes this.
  3. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    So this was last April.

I was able to keep running consistently up for a whopping 2 months, getting paces down to 8:30-9min for 5-6 miles, then got sick, Tour de France came on (I do most of my running at night), nagging injuries, and all of a sudden it was August and I wasn't running at all again. Started back up in September. Injuries again. November. Injuries. I was running the classic beginner program - run as fast as you can for a given distance, try to increase next time plan, even though I know better. Maybe doing things like when I was younger isn't a good idea any more? Huh. Weird. :p

So in Jan I started with a 1 mile time trial though - a painful 7:43. I signed up for a 4th of July 10k to maintain some motivation, and set out to tackle a heart rate based plan - all zone 2 for a couple months to start. This meant 12+ min miles to start, and walking anytime anything resembled an incline. But a couple months of this and I was in zone 2 at 10-10:30. Nice. ;D I transitioned into a Polar Flow (HR and time) based program - 5 days a week (I'd throw in an extra day here and there): 1 long run, 2 easy days, 1 day intervals, 1 day tempo runs. I maxed out at 35 miles a week. From Jan through July, zone 2 pace came down from to the 9s, and mile time trials (did three total) went from 7:43 to 7:10 (end of March) to 6:32 (mid June).

Prerace, Polar Flow predicted a finish time of 47:30. VDOT based on mile predicted 47:26.

Both felt awfully optimistic. And I had a really good night of drinking a couple weeks before, which cut into my final week of training before my mini taper. Only ran 10 miles the week before the race, as I was at Sequoia camping. So I figured 50min would be a good goal time.

While warming up for the race, my legs felt VERY heavy. And all advice seems to suggest not going out too fast, and that the beginning of the race will be faster than it seems. So I set a goal of 9 minutes for the first mile, speeding up if I feel better (again, getting old sucks - takes a while to warm up).

At .25 miles in, I'm feeling good, legs are feeling light. I look down and see that I'm at 8:20 pace. huh. I look around at the people I'm running with, and uh, it's pretty clear that many of these rotund folks would not be running at that pace for the race. Race adrenaline is real. :D I feel good though, so hold pace and and cruise through the first mile 8:18. Subsequent miles came in at 7:58, 7:45, 7:59, 7:50, 7:44, and the final .2 at 6:48 pace. Fished at 49:15. Ran the 5k after (5k started 1hr after 10k, so 10 min after finish) with my wife, while pushing the 'baby' (3 year old) stroller. A nice leisurely 10:30 pace to cool down.

Thoughts and What's next - I think I had had a 48-48:30 in me (I think I could have done an easy 7:45 each of the first two miles, and gutted out another 5s+ the rest of the way, as I was cruising pretty comfortably the whole race), but being conservative was the right way to go. That and nobody passed me the whole race, and I was picking people off constantly - a nice motivational boost. :D That final .2 was tough though ( I had some pretty solid ugly race faces going on in the finish line photos that my wife took.), so I couldn't have gone too much faster. Maybe could have hit that predicted 47:30, if I was actually in a 'race mode.'

The next couple months I'm going to ramp up mileage to 50-60 miles per week. Then I'm going to work a little on speed work - I think I have a 6 minute mile in me this year. I'm positive I have a sub 45 minute 10k in me. I've signed up for a 10k in feb already (local, 50% off flash sale, with tech shirt for $25, woohoo!), and might do Santa Monica in September.

Pretty slow and low mileage compared to many of you guys, but I'm in a nice groove. ;)
    Ridge and DeepSea like this.
  4. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    That's awesome and congratulations. :thumb

Good on ya for getting passed the injuries and sticking with it. :super It can be very frustrating.

I'd be curious what your race morning meals/timing and warm up consisted of. For me that combo makes a big difference on performance. Especially for the first couple miles.

Mine is a light meal 2-3 hours before the race. If I feel like I need something in my stomach just before the start a half a gel fixes that. Warm up is about ten minutes long starting 15ish minutes before start time. Very light jog in sweats (unless its very warm already) picking up the pace slowly. Then some strides to get the legs used to moving fast. Then I'll keep moving just to stay warm and pass off my sweats as late as I can get away with it to Mrs. DeepSea.

I'm curious what everyone else's routine/superstitions are just before a race.

Steve
  5. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It was more fun then expected.

Well, this was my first 'race' since high school, so not worth much, but I knew I'd definitely need some food in my stomach. I'd only done a couple morning runs, along with some fasted lunch runs, and I knew my legs would be dragging without getting some food in me.

Problem was, being a night runner, I always ran after dinner and knew I would have the trots if I ate within 3hrs of running and didn't poop. So, given that it was a 7am start, I got up at 4 and had a bagel, then went back to sleep (didn't go to bed until 2 am, which wasn't ideal). Then I couldn't poop before I left the house. Uh oh. :-D about 20 min before start time, I did an easy jog, mainly worried about getting things moving for a poop. Got an easy mile in, with some strides, then hit the portapotty. Woohoo, success - calling a win for the day knowing that I wouldn't poop my pants! After that, some leg swings, leg circles, calf stretches, and I called it good. I should've probably done another half mile after stretching, and would've probably felt good at the start.
  6. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Not pooping your pants is a definite win. :lol3

What's after the Feb 10K? With a 50-60 mile per week plan. Are you planning something much farther?
    Steve
  7. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe the LA marathon. But the goal is really to see if I can can some speed/endurance back. I'd really like to be able to knock out a sub 5:30 mile / sub 40 10k, but we'll see how progress towards a sub 6 mile goes first. Doing strides and intervals, I feel I have some residual speed left, and mostly need to build up a decent aerobic base - figure I'll see what I can wring out of that before I get older and it becomes much harder to get back. The thought is maybe 3 races between now and Feb - 10k in Sept, 5k in Nov, and another 10k in Feb.
    DeepSea likes this.
  8. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    ran 7 miles yesterday when the heat dropped. No pants were pooped. Slow pace but back doesn't hurt, which is a major win for me. Found I need to hold my core strong the whole way to support my back, and I'm good. Have a 10K coming up where I've won a tshirt for the last 5 years, need to keep the streak going.
    PoundSand and DeepSea like this.
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Great to hear about someone getting over their injuries and getting back on track. Currently going through getting over a hamstring injury that has slowed me down a little, though still able to run.

Given your recent history of injuries I have to question whether upping your mileage to 50-60/week is a smart move. Seems like being faster without so much mileage might be a better goal, looking at the long game. JMHO.
  10. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'm thinking the injuries were from too much intensity, too early, whereas the buildup has been a lot of sloooow miles - i've been downright robust the past 6 months with the slow build - so that's the thought on working on increasing aerobic base before hitting more speed.

i took about 5 months to build up to 35, ran 35s the last month with no issue, took a couple 20 mile weeks (week before and during 10k), and am going to take another 2 months to build up 15+ more. would love to hear feedback on the plan: i'm planning on dropping the intervals during this time (reduce intensity), while keeping the one progression run (only 40-50 minutes). the buildup is planned to increase ~3 miles per week for 3 weeks, drop back a week, repeat. of course i'm not in a hurry and can slow any of this down if any issues pop up.
    DeepSea likes this.
  11. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    The plan sounds good on paper. Your keeping below the 10% rule and presumably taking an easy week after 3. Not just cutting back the miles. Main thing is listen to your body. If it's protesting, there's a reason for it.

I'm curious, how you're getting in the 35 mile week. Is that varying distances,or 5 miles every day? Do you get in some short runs and one long one at the end of the week? Are most of your miles road or dirt?

One thing to consider. If your just looking to build your aerobic engine right now and not necessarily run farther. Swimming and/or biking will do that and is much easier on everything else. Also easy spinning on the bike is great for active recovery.

Great work and keep it up.
    Steve
  12. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks!
    35 miles have been something like the following (days of week vary depending on what else I have going on):
    Day 1: 5-7 miles, progression - 15 min warmup hr < 150, 13 min hr 150-160, 12 min hr 160-170, cool down, varying distance
    Day 2: ~3-5 miles easy
    Day 3: 5-6 miles intervals: 15 min warmup, 5 x [3 min hr > 160, 2 min hr 150 - 160], cool down, varying distance
    Day 4: 5-8 miles easy, a bit faster for the middle 3-4 miles.
    Day 5, weekend long run: 7 - 10 miles easy
    At least 1 day rest, occasionally an extra day of 3-5 mile easy day, or lunch run double

The plan is to basically to replace the intervals with a mid week long run, and increase that and the weekend long run. Maybe make the 6th run a little more consistent.
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    It looks like a good balance.

If you wanted to work in some cycling. Swap Days 2 & 4 with 60-90 minutes on the bike.
    Steve
  14. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190711_193049829.jpg IMG_20190711_195404669.jpg Just started running again after 9 days off, which felt like an eternity for me. The reason for some time off was an ankle sprain, the second in a month. After the first one, I took a week off, then managed a couple very short runs the next week, then on the weekend I ran a 60 mile circumnavigation of Yosemite valley, which was fantastic, and my ankle felt good the whole 19 hours of that.

Then about a week and a half after that run, I was putting together a good week of trail runs and peak bagging up in Washington, and on the way back down from a gorgeous mountain I twisted the same ankle. It was clearly not anywhere near full strength. I had trekking poles with me, and I hobbled out the last 4 miles to the trailhead.

So now I've got about a month before Castle Peak 100k, and as tempting as the trails are, I think I'll be running mostly pavement until then. I've had a great spring and summer with lots of vert and technical running, so I'll just keep training aerobically and keep my legs turning over. I ran 5 miles yesterday and 9 today, pretty short easy runs but the ankle feels good and I think I'm ok to ramp back up to 40 and 50 mile weeks. IMG_20190711_193049829.jpg
    UngaWunga, PoundSand and DeepSea like this.
  15. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Bummer about the ankle. I hope it heals up 100% for Castle Peak.

This weekend I paced a friend of ours. He did the TRT100. I picked him up at mile 50 bringing him all the way into the finish. It was a great training run and education. Next month I'll be attempting my first 100 miler. I was given lots of good advice and saw lots of mistakes playing out all around me. Things I hope to avoid. :thumb

Here's my runner crossing one of snow drifts
    [​IMG]

Here I am. The only reason I was in front is he wanted to get a picture of me in action too.
    [​IMG]
    Steve
    UngaWunga, PoundSand and slackmeyer like this.
  16. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Good job Steve! Brian is a good guy, glad to see him finish. And I'm really happy you got to pace a big chunk of a hundred before running your own, sounds like it was valuable.
    DeepSea likes this.
  17. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    He really is. It was a good time and well worth the effort spent for the education I got.
  18. Surfnjmatt

Surfnjmatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad I came across this thread, Just got done a 5 year stretch of doing consecutive ironman races (3 in 5 years) and am getting back into dirt bikes. Was wondering if there are any other runners or ultra runners in the community. At some local hare scrambles its def a different crowd then the Ironman races.
    UngaWunga and DeepSea like this.
  19. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    I'm 5 days away from my first 100 mile race. Tapering has been tough. This isn't new for me, but I'm trying real hard to take it easy. On the days I'm actually taking it easy, I over do it at a work. :dunno:lol3

Back up in the mountains for work. Luckily we have many great trails/roads to run and ride on. Aside from the half mile to the trail head. I rarely see a single person on my runs. Weekends included.

Here's a few shots from Friday and yesterdays 10 mile runs.
    This is the North side of the reservoir and where I'm most likely to see people.
    [​IMG]
    Both of these are on the South side. There are tracks, but I've yet to run across anyone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steve
    Ridge likes this.
  20. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    So there was this one run down to the bank via the trails between home and there...

All I'll say is thank doG for the 2-thickness cash register receipt right next to me! There was about to be a wicking shirt sacrificed. :nod

M
    PoundSand likes this.