The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    There's a good reason to wear shirts with pockets. :lol3
  2. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I've been trail running most Tues and Thurs nights. Legs really don't like switching back and forth between running and riding, but I keep at it.

Takes me a good 20-30min to get my legs to loosen up to run well. Not fast, mind you, but well.

M
    DeepSea likes this.
  3. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    I need a good warm up as well. Someday's longer than others. The warm up goes faster for me if I shorten my stride just a hair.

Steve
  4. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Trail run last nite with V.

Was having trouble breathing till about 20min in when everything opened up and the speeds went up. For about 10min and then things fell apart again.

:bluduh

Looked down at the 935 and was seeing 138BPM on the screen. That's +/- CX race pace HRs! :eek1

M
    DeepSea likes this.
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    So I have a 2PM appointment tomorrow in Chevy Chase.

That means sitting in Beltway traffic to get to 66, then sitting in 66 traffic to get home. :bluduh

That's probably 2-ish hours of bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic. ...OR... I can stop off at Lake Fairfax on the way home and run the trails.

Once I get done running, the traffic should be much better. :clap

M
  6. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    It was raining cats and dogs over Reston and the surrounding area

No trail run for me!

:cry

M
    DeepSea likes this.
  7. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    So my first attempt at a true 100 mile mountain race, was just that. An attempt. :umph

Everything was going great... until it wasn't. :lol3

Here's the short-ish version with pictures.
    Race started off as planned. Running strong, feeling good and excited about running from 1800 on Friday (6 pm for you non-military types) to a planned 0200 (2 am) on Sunday. Give or take an hour or so. Here's some pre-race photos.
    [​IMG]
    An easy bib # to remember for checking in and out of aid stations.
    [​IMG]
    Sunset over Big Bear Lake only a few hours into the race.
    [​IMG]
    Getting close to Sunrise on Saturday.
    [​IMG]
    That bright light in the sky is still the full moon after the sun came up.
    [​IMG]
    This is difficult race with more technical terrain than I expected. Lots of rocks. This is the only photo I took of it, but far from the worst of it. There were lots of spots when looking at the course thinking you could make up time. But when you got on the trail, finding out it's rougher than you think. Some were just small rock gardens that I had to walk. That was a bummer. Still fun, but messed with some planning and logistics.
    [​IMG]
    Finally a shot of Big Bear Lake looking South... if my memory is correct.
    [​IMG]
    The short version (excuse :lol3) was a very minor injury early on during the long dowhnill. Led to something more. Nothing permanent or even serious. Pulled muscles then blisters. Some of that resulting from the change in stride over time. In the end I got thru the 55 mile cutoff with seconds to spare. I can only thank the 3 volunteers that got me in, outfitted and out with less than 3 minutes coming in and seconds getting out. They were like a NASCAR pit crew. Cleaned/lubed feet, new socks, new shirt, food, water, coke, ice in my hat and even ice in a bandana that I didn't have before going in. :lol3 These three were awesome. :thumb Without their help, I would've been stuck in the aid station half ready to roll or unprepared for the next 13 miles in the hottest part of the day. The day ended by hobbling the last several miles with the company of 4 other "runners" and 2 sweepers. It was like a death march. :lol3 Missing the 67 mile cutoff by over an hour. :bluduh

Aside from the injuries slowing me down to a crawl. I felt great. The fitness was there. Never got sleepy from the day, night, day coming into night again adventure. Gut was fine no matter what I ate or when. Even mentally I feel good because I didn't give up. Still sucks having my first DNF though. :puke1

Steve

@slackmeyer I couldn't find that new Tahoe 100 you mentioned. How are you doing? :waveCastle Peak is coming up quick. :thumb
  8. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Steve, you did great. I know that's not the result anyone would plan for, but that's admirable, beating a cutoff by seconds and then continuing on for more than a dozen more miles.
    I'm excited for Castle Peak in a few days, I do love that race. . . This year, I'm doing less planning of splits and pace, I think I want to run this one by feel. As big a race as it is, it's not my A race, and I want to have energy left in the tank for my 100 3 weeks later. At the same time I'd really like to beat my time from a couple years ago and maybe get under 15 hours. . . Dueling desires, what to do. I'll decide at mile 25 or so.
    That race I mentioned was kind of hard to find for me too, here it is: http://e3running.com/utlt
    And https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=68115
    A friend here in Berkeley is planning to run it. I don't know much about it. I'm a little concerned for him that maybe a first year race and a first attempt at a 100 miler are not the best fit.

Zak
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  9. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I thought I would feel worse about it, but I don't. Especially after looking at the results. Here are the stats:
    85 finishers
    24 of the finishers came in within the last hour
    71 DNF's

Yeah, definitely a bad fit. First 100 miler, and inaugural race. There isn't much detail on the website. I'll probably go up and volunteer for it. Wanna go?

Steve
    smithe and slackmeyer like this.
  10. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    That beats my hour or so of walking and running

Onya for giving it your all. Only way to conquer that demon is to go back and finish the thing next time.

M
    DeepSea likes this.
  11. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    That's tempting, would be excellent to go up there together and swap stories for a while. I need to see if my friend Mat is really going to run it and if/when he wants me to pace. Pacing and volunteering are not mutually exclusive though.
    DeepSea likes this.
  12. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I'm sure I would've felt horrible if I just quit.

A redemption race is already being planned. Going back to Big Bear will happen eventually, just maybe not right away... :hmmmmm

It would be a good time. I'll PM you over my contact info.

Btw, good luck this weekend, I'm excited for you. :thumb
  13. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Castle Peak 100k did not disappoint. The race gets a little harder and a little longer every year. I was proud to run only about 15 minutes slower than my 2017 time- actually a slightly faster pace since this year it was 64 miles. I had a really great day, I appreciated the experience and the great area, the friends around me, the great people who put on the race, and the ability/opportunity to cover great distances in the mountains on foot.
    I'm feeling good today. A little sore, but in line with the normal soreness after a 20-30 mile run. My ankles are tired, still recovering from injuries earlier this summer. 28 miles in, the ankle that I had sprained was feeling really tired, so I stopped and put on an ankle brace. It helped quite a lot, I ran the rest of the race with it and had no twisted ankles.
    I'm feeling ready for IMTUF 100 in less than three weeks. I'll do a little running and try to get a little extra sleep in that time, and try to tap into any motivation I have that will carry me through 30 hours of pushing myself.
    DeepSea likes this.
  14. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Zak! :thumb Glad the ankle held up and you had a great day.
    Castle Peak is a great race. I'd love to do it again.
    Steve
  15. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    This weekend is the Monterey Bay Half Marathon. Last year was cancelled due to the smoke from the Paradise fires over 200 miles away. Right now there are fires burning much closer, but it seems the winds are cooperating...for now. It's such a great race and well organized. Hard to believe that there are between 6-8000 runners competing in the half marathon alone. The only time it feels crowded is at the beer tent. :lol3 Two years ago I set my half marathon PR of 1:40::16. In a perfect world, I'd like to beat that by about 2-3 minutes. :lol3 Work has been kicking my ass this past couple weeks, so I have no delusions of a PR. Still it ought to be a good time. This picture is from the race website and is along the course.
    [​IMG]

How is everyone's training coming along?

@slackmeyer how was the IMTUF? I never did go volunteer at Tahoe. How did your buddy do? Last time I checked there were only 20 ish racers entered for the 100 mile distance.

Steve
  16. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    It's been pretty quiet in here. Hope everyone is doing well. :ear

Work never let up all the way to the end. I was a bit worried with the lack of sleep and a lot of extra time on my feet thru the "taper" week. Monterey still went much better than expected.

The weather was perfect. Cool morning temps and crisp/clean ocean air. The sun didn't break thru the marine layer until about mile 12.

I wasn't watching my pace just running the entire race by feel. Feeling good but clueless on where I was at with it. Somewhere around mile 11, I was chatting with this young lady. Asked here what time she was shooting for. She said 1:34 and was pretty confident she was going to make it. Ha ha, I was shooting for a 1:45. :lol3 Ended up finishing with a chip time of 1hr 34min 45sec. A new PR by over 5 minutes and feeling pretty good about myself. :super

[​IMG]
    Steve
    smithe and Maritimer like this.
  17. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
    Awesome PR man, way to push!!

I’ve got Bataan in March going as civilian heavy so a marathon ruck with 40#.

Then in June my first 50miler after a bunch of 50-60ks, this one is Dam Yeti 50 in western VA.

happy running all, stay healthy!
    smithe and DeepSea like this.
  18. Maritimer

Maritimer Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m enjoying getting out running again after a bit of a layoff. I’m typically an off-season runner but hoping to stay injury free to continue running some through the cycling season next year.

I’m not doing any epic distances like some of you but working in the 10km range for now until I get my legs back a bit.
    DeepSea and smithe like this.
  19. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Felt oddly out of touch with posting about training and stuff, not even sure why? I am building back up from my knee surgery at the end of May, did a 10 miler for fun Sunday and it felt really good. I have no run racing plans at all for 2020 but did put in for the Chicago marathon. Most of my focus has been on gravel biking although I have been running 4 days a week and not biking a whole lot at the moment. I got an email this morning about a local trail race, which is where I did my only 50k, and I am tempted to sign up for it, it's a week before my first gravel race of the year.
    DeepSea likes this.
  20. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I have looked into the Bataan a little and am considering doing it at some point. Would like to hear about your experience in March.