The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Welp... coupla weeks ago, my right calf started acting up like it did last winter when both of them did something. Not quite a tear. More than a cramp

I'd been walk/jog-ing a few times in the last little bit and thought I was over the worst or it. Tried to go for a quick walk/jog after my last appointment of the day and got about 6min in and noticed my calf was achy. :bluduh

I'm pretty sure I stopped before I re-injured myself again, but I'm disappointed that my calf doesn't feel good enough to run when I want to.

It's much easier to run in crappy weather than it is to ride in crappy weather. :nod

Quick equipment note: the new Craft softshell front tights I wore for the 1st time tonite were great. Ditto with the 'all reflective' Craft gloves. If y'all don't already have a Gore Shake Dry, you owe it to yourself. Best thing evar!

M
    DeepSea likes this.
  2. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Running in crappy weather is definitely much better than cycling in it.

Sucks about your calf. If your not sure the cause, maybe give yourself more time during the warm up. It sure couldn't hurt. :dunno No pun intended. I know I'm not fully warmed up for the first 15-20 minutes.

Steve
  3. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd caught a break in the rain today when I started out on my ride. Got about 20min in and the rain started back up. :bluduh Thank doG for Gore Tex. Didn't grab the Shake Dry 'cause it's grey, nasty, and cold and the only color Shake Dry comes in is black. Great stuff. Crapfer color for when it's not nice out. :nod

Went with the Oxygen that's orange instead. Lower half was wet. Upper half was more sweaty than cold. :clap

Calf is still achy even on the ride so I think I've done something more serious than I thought I did. :baldy

M
  4. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Compartment syndrome?
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    IDK I haven't really injured that part of my calf before. I DID injure further down and in the center of the leg last year. This is higher up and towards the outside.

Ran on the road for a bit the other day and it started acting up at about a mile and a half. Don't think I re-injured it, but it wasn't happy either.

I'll try the woods once the snow melts and the ground dries back up. No more road for me for a bit tho. :nah

M
  6. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just turned 44 a few months ago, and i've been battling that on and off since when i was about 28 (just before i really started to get faster). I never tried running any ultras. I did give marathoning a brief chance (about 6 of them), but i never found the succsess i was after at that distance (my quads and hammy's would cramp up at around 18 miles...which was well before i even felt fatigued). Where it hurts on my calves is on the inner side about halfway down (about 9" long area is affected). It takes about 3 weeks to feel better enough that i can just jog.

My calf issues first started to manifest when i started to ramp up my miles...that and probably the 6:00 pace tempo runs 5 days a week didn't help either. There was never really any "easy" runs in those days. It was always kinda all or nothing (which what happens when you run and train with friends who are very competitive). Both my calves will only let me run slow these days. No more "lets see how fast i can run a mile" type of thing. I still run some, but i wouldn't trust my calf for even 400m. Too many times i've had to walk back to my car because it felt like my calf muscle is ripping apart (it kinda feels like a bad cramp, but much worse).
  7. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    thankfully, this isn't that bad.

Also thankfully, it doesn't seem to be affected while riding, so that's what I've been doing despite really wanting to go trail running

M
  8. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear. Pedaling doesn't affect my calf either...but i'd rather be running.
  9. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'm much more of a cyclist that runs rather than a runner that rides. :nod

...and... Running helps my riding more than riding helps my running

M
  10. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I’m the complete opposite! I used cycling to help with my running.
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Might be an obvious and generic suggestion to you guys with calve problems but, have you tried foam rolling (small diameter) your calves and the rest of your legs consistently every day for a couple of weeks to see if that helps?
    DeepSea likes this.
  12. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    Just got back into running after a bout of colon cancer, surgery, and chemo. I would have started back sooner but after losing part of my colon and ileum my bowels were a bit irregular, especially when running!!!!
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Yikes. :yikes

Good luck with your running. :thumb
    Steve
    Fenianbastard likes this.
  14. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Foam rolling with large and small diameter have helped me tremendously. If I stop or slack off while training with high mileage or intensity. I feel things on the verge of not going well (tightness creeping in). This turns into a reminder and I get back on my rolling/stretching regime.

I can email to anyone that needs it, a PDF with the large roller technique I use. It covers IT Bands, Calves and Quads. I'll see if I can pull the calf pic out to post.

Steve
    Ridge likes this.
  15. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :y0!
  16. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    PM me your email address and I'll shoot it on over. :deal

For those of you that are having calf and PF issues @Gummee!. This is one of the three foam roller "stretches" that I do after every run or ride. Since implementing the roller routine, my PF issues have gone away and it seems to speed up recovery. When I forget or slack off, it's pretty obvious. I also use a small diameter 1/2" PVC pipe to roll out my calf, quad and shin splint muscle (I forget what it's called).:lol3
    [​IMG]

Something else to keep in mind. Where your symptoms are, aren't necessarily where your problem is. For example just last week I was having an issue with my left knee. It all came about after an increase in mileage that I did all on the pavement. :puke1 The mileage increase wasn't outside the 10% rule, but I tend to do my long runs in the dirt. To get to the point. It was my TFL causing a tightness in my IT band. This pulled my knee out of place causing discomfort. Two sessions with a friend (he's a chiropractor) who used pressure points and massaging up near my hip (TFL) took care of it. When he first pushed on it with his thumb. I swear he stabbed me with a key or pen knife. :yikes Knee issue is 98% gone and the TFL is only slightly irritated.

Remember discomfort with long distance/high intensity running is normal, but pain is not. Listen to your body and know the difference. Had I let the knee go longer without getting to the root of the problem. I feel that it could've turned into a real problem.

Mrs. DeepSea bought me a book a couple years back. It's a 350+ page reference book for trigger points. Pretty dry reading. :lol3 Not sure I can explain it right, but trigger points are like pushing a button when you find them. When your having issues and find the correct trigger point. It's painfully obvious (pun intended) that your in the right spot and is amazing at releasing muscle tension. My buddy called my TFL a "hot spot". He could be dumbing it down for me and not what it's clinically called. :lol3

Good luck and hope everyone's off season training is going well. :wave

Steve
    Ridge and smithe like this.
  17. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My issues are of my own (over)doing. I made a hard switch to zero-drop this year from the 4mm drop shoes with which I'd traditionally been training and it has taken a painful toll on my Achilles tendon and, by extension, my calf. Specifically only my left calf, but that's also the ankle that I sprained as an errant and misguided youth but never sought treatment or wrapping, anything. It developed arthritis and has been there ever since... long story short; I walk and run a bit... crooked and that effect is magnified with the zero drop shoes.

My calves and feet are getting stronger with the continued zero-drop training, but there for a few weeks; it was painful to walk after a run.
  18. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Ah yes. Ease into the zero drop shoes. I switched over the same way I switch the dogs food. A little bit of the old and a little bit of the new, until it's all new food/shoes. Something else to look at is which foot do you drive off of more? I know that when I increase my flat to semi flat pace. Think 10k race pace. I'm driving more with the calves and even more so with the right one. At the first feel of tightness I know I need to throttle back a hair or risk it "protesting".
    Ridge likes this.
  19. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    This is the official start of my trail running season. :lift The last three races (2 triathlons and 1 half marathon) have all been paved and relatively flat. Now that those have passed and I'm nearly recovered from UMFL. Time to start getting in some dirt and some vert. :thumb The latter has me sore. :lol3
    This is Round Valley Res just a touch over 3 miles from my shop.
    [​IMG]
    The trail has just a few blocks of pavement, it turns to dirt, then I seldom see anyone until I get back.

How has everyone been doing? Still running and healthy I hope. It's been pretty quiet this winter.:ear

Steve
    Falcon86 likes this.
  20. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
    I’m doing Bataan Memorial Death March in NM this coming weekend in the Civ Heavy Division.

Long Creek 60k here in VB next month.

Dam Yeti 50 in June for my first 50 miler.
    DeepSea likes this.