1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Let us know how they go. :thumb
  2. zooomer

zooomer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been running mostly for fitness for the last 7 years. I occasionally run a 5-10K or half. Lately tendinitis has been working on my left Achilles and calf.
    DeepSea likes this.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I have had pain and stiffness in these areas before. If you haven't tried them, look into eccentric calf raises.
    DeepSea likes this.
  4. Maritimer

Maritimer Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Running was really good through Jan and Feb, distance was coming up and everything was feeling OK. Did a big block of cycling on the trainer in late Feb and haven’t had much success getting out for long runs since.

As we get closer to spring, the bike becomes the focus. I have a 10k planned for mid-May and then a full on few months of LD cycling events and then a switchover to running to prepare for my first half marathon on 25 years in October.
    DeepSea likes this.
  5. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    I have just gotten back into running after a year of surgeries for colon cancer. It feels great to be out there again.
    DeepSea and swimmer like this.
  6. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    :thumb Let us know how they both go.

Glad your getting back into it. My cousin beat breast cancer. She said having something to focus on helped. Good luck and enjoy. :lift
    Steve
  7. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    A lot has happened since last post. Hopefully everyone is healthy and able to get out some.

Two of my next four races have been canceled. The Mt. Diablo 50k and the Silver State 50m. Unfortunately the 50 miler is a requirement for one of the 100 milers (so it may be 3 of 4). Unless I can squeeze one in, I'm SOL. :bluduh On the plus side (and really the only thing that matters) the family is all healthy and everyone is still civil.

Since some might be struggling with motivation. I was a little once I heard about the race cancellations. Here's a few photos from a Mt. Diablo training run last week (16 miles and almost 4k of elevation gain).
    This is the visitors center which will be closed until April.
    [​IMG]
    The California Poppies are starting to make an appearance. By next month the whole hillside will explode with them and other wild flowers.
    [​IMG]
    Early wildflowers
    [​IMG]
    For those that know the area. This is near Deer Flat. Probably the only "flat" portion on the mountain. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Here's some high speed single track near devils elbow.
    [​IMG]

Steve
    DirtyRoadie, Ridge and Fenianbastard like this.
  8. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't posted up here in a long while. It's nice to see it getting warmer here in the Northeast and really nice to not have to spend 30 minutes just getting cold weather gear on for a run. Treadmill not an option for me as I would rather get fat, so I run outside regardless of weather. I'm ahead of last years mileage and my P.F., while still an issue, isn't slowing me down now. Unfortunately every race that was scheduled for this Spring has been cancelled or postponed indefinitely due to the Covid 19 issue which is really ramping up here in New York State. (Though mostly in the city) It's going to get worse before it gets better and likely to impact running events across the country eventually. So stay motivated out there and keep on running !!
    DeepSea and Ridge like this.
  9. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Masochist!

:hide
    DeepSea likes this.
  10. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Pain is pleasure. :lol3

Got to admit, I've been struggling with motivation this last week. I'm up in the mountains getting snowed on and not feeling it. With a 100 miler still on the books, definitely need to snap out of it.

Hope you all are doing well.
    Steve
    DirtyRoadie and Ridge like this.
  11. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my case; no news is good news... I'm still working toward my singlespeed DK200 goal at the end of May. They've stated they will wait until My 1st as a hard line before calling it...
    DeepSea likes this.
  12. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they don't cancel on you. I like reading your race reports.
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I got in 15 miles with about 3,400' of elevation gain. Putting me up near 7,000'. Lots of snow up that high.
    [​IMG]
    I was going to post this in the asshole parking thread. He should've turned around quite a ways back or at least let some air out. Pretty sure the bumper in the bed of his truck wasn't a planned upgrade either. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Wolf or Large dog walking itself a long ways from home. :dunno
    [​IMG]
    Steve
  14. Nought

Nought n00b

Oddometer:
    How many of you went on daily quarantine runs in the morning?)
  15. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Can you all give me a little advice into evening runs?
    For the past 4 months, I've been jogging with my 1 year old at 10:30am for his nap.
    But my our schedule is going to change next week, which puts me home around noon.
    My next window will be around 6:45pm, again with the boy.

My real concern is with dinner, we eat at 5:30. I'm not a heavy eater, but I still don't think running a little over an hour after dinner is going to be very comfortable. Would I be better off, eating like half my meal before and the other after?
  16. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Haven't needed to run after dinner yet, instead I've been squeezing in runs before, usually about 4:30 or so.
    It's not ideal, I'm slower, it's pretty hot, I'm hungry - but it's the time that works with our family. I'm just happy I'm able to keep up the habit.

Can anyone chime in to how the 10 or 15% rule is affected by walking miles?

In general, I walk both my kids 2 miles and run 3 most days.
    I'm teaching summer school, and have been adding in an extra mile nature walk with those kids each weekday.
    I'm concerned with over doing things, I really hurt something in my leg a few years ago by going out too far too soon, and was unable to run for over a year.
    DeepSea likes this.
  17. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Glad the new schedule is working out. I've never done well running right after a large(ish) meal.

Good question, what kind of mileage and terrain are we talking on these nature hikes? Some of us work on our feet all day and still get in the time to run without problems. Being self employed, I do whatever needs to be done. My two extremes are between sitting at a desk all week or 60+ hours on the concrete welding. Weeks that I'm doing little on my feet. I'll do lower leg exercises. It strengthens the feet, ankles, etc. I don't change my mileage plan, but have been known to cut a run short because something doesn't "feel right".

It's best to err on the side of caution. Consistent training is tough to do when you injure yourself. :deal

Yesterday I snuck away from work and put in 17 ish miles. The valley below is where our shop is.
    [​IMG]
    This is a side route, I'd like to check out next time.
    [​IMG]

Steve
    AdvRich and Bloodweiser like this.
  18. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Terrain is the high school's cross country trails, hilly but nothing wild in terms of elevation.

Before summer school started, I walked my own kids 2 miles and ran 3 most days.
    Now, I walk with my summer school kids 1 mile, and dialed my own kids' miles back to 1. Running miles stayed at 3.

Maybe I'll just cautiously ramp up my own kids miles back up and see how I feel.

I've been gradually increasing my running miles since March, when they were at 0. I'd like to continue increasing them, but in reality I don't have more than 30 minutes usually, so I may be stalled here for the next 4 weeks of summer school, then my schedule will change again for 2 weeks and then regular school starts up. Who knows what will happen then....

I'm just extremely grateful to be back at it. I really fucked up my last round 2 years ago, and I think I've gained some wisdom about gradual increases and consistency.
    DeepSea likes this.
  19. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I've changed my routine again. Somehow made the switch to the sunrise club.

I never thought I'd be one of those folks who wake up before 5 and are out the door in the dark, but here I am.
    It's only a little difficult to force myself out of bed, but once my feet hit the floor I'm all in. I love this routine.
    Putting in 3-5 miles 6 days a week and back before the wife and kids, even have time for a quiet cup of coffee most mornings.

My first 10-15 minutes are on a 55mph road. It's not really busy, but there are cars. I carry a headlamp in my hand, and it's off unless I hear/see a car approach, then it goes to strobe. People give me so much more room than when I would be running with a jogging stroller during the day, it's crazy. I wonder how many folks just didn't see me and the boy, and that's why they didn't move over?

Anyway, it's getting darker and darker, and I'm a little more concerned with being visible.
    What are you folks running for dark running? Lights, apparel, both?

Taken this morning:
    IMG_1197.JPG IMG_1196.JPG
    DeepSea and nuggets like this.
  20. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    Got in a 5 mile gravel loop run this morning. I used my cargo e-bike to cruise over to the start point. Via bike, I can get there through a national park. It's so much nicer than the car route.

Had a solid run for me, 46:18 for the 5 miles.
    Post run, I rode the bike back and pedaled fairly hard. It's a lot of fun to push the big longtail cargo bike hard.

Now I'm enjoying my coffee and and post workout high.
    DeepSea and AdvRich like this.