The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    I started running again about 6 years ago after a 10 year hiatus due to achilles issues. I have since done hundreds of 5 and 10 k races, marathon (4:03), multiple half marathons (1:45). I don't really like running but love being outdoors and would never join a gym. I cross train with some cycling and rowing. I race against myself but like to see where I placed in my age group.
    catweasel67 likes this.
  2. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Christmas Day run anyone?

Post 'em here.
  3. Fenianbastard

Oddometer:
    5 mile trail run in beautiful weather.
    DeepSea and catweasel67 like this.
  4. ncsonderman

ncsonderman Sasquatch in training

Oddometer:
    I pulled 7.25 on the treadmill yesterday. Today was more about the kids and driving.
  5. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    8 mile run today but not nearly as fun as the 6 miles teaching one of the nephews how to skateboard. :rayof

6. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did 7.5 along the lake front in Kenosha, WI on xmas day. The temp was around 35 and a great day to run outside. The side walks and streets were icy as all get out and took my average pace down by more than 30 spm. It was still a good run.
    DeepSea and catweasel67 like this.
  7. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

Christmas Day was unseasonably warm here - 5c instead of -5c. The hound and I went for a very very slow run along the Donau Canal - just under 5 miles in just over an hour. Threw in some cross training - all in all, most enjoyable.
    DeepSea likes this.
  8. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    You must have some good music. I have a hard time on the treadmill.
  9. ncsonderman

ncsonderman Sasquatch in training

Oddometer:
    Treadmill running is an aquire taste. We purchased matching treadmills 3 years ago when it got too cold taking our son out for runs in the morning. We've stayed on the treadmills for the most part as we determined that he was only good for about 45 minutes in the jogging stroller before revolting. With the treadmills, we can get a run in before work while he is still snoring away. Now baby number 2 has sealed that deal for the foreseeable future.

My parents are in town to us...OK the kids this week. That allowed us to take advantage for an outdoor run yesterday morning. 5+ miles with about 2 being trail. Gotta tell you that my calves are super sore this morning.
    DeepSea likes this.
  10. AZIFFEL

AZIFFEL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent the weekend cross country skiing. Feeling my oats I went up to the track for an end of year affirmation of fitness run. Only planned on running 3 miles, didn't make it. The first mile passed in 6:02, half way through the fifth lap my right SI joint gave me a pearcing jolt. Sh#t!
  11. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to get back to near 20 miles a week, after holiday travel, a week or so spent mostly cross country skiing, and then the post-holiday cold that seems to happen every single year. . .
    Left the house at 8:00 tonight for a 7 mile run that I do most weeks, and the cold rain started about 5 minutes after leaving the house. I decided that I could handle that, especially since the rain is supposed to get heavier for the next couple days. After about 10 minutes of rain, it actually just turned to a sprinkle for the rest of my run. I went hard on the long downhill on the way back and ended up running a mile somewhere around 6:15, which felt like a lot of work even downhill. I'm still carrying around more than my share of phlegm from the cold that I just got over today. I need to get in a 15-20 mile weekend run soon, and get back to sprinkling in some intervals/ speed work.

And I'm looking forward to it, I missed running in the week that I took off.
  12. Ridge

Oddometer:
    How do you guys work out specific distances when running? I know, many here just run for the fun of it and don't train for specificity; but I do and enjoy the metrics.

This is my workout for today but I have no idea how to determine the distance in specific metered increments. I don't have a marked running track anywhere near me that I can access.

Description: 1 x 1200 meters at race pace 2 x 800 meters at race pace 4 x 200 meters at race pace 4 x 200 meters at speed pace 4 x 100-meter strides.

After a warmup, run race-pace intervals. Do each repeat at your 10K goal pace. After each bout of hard work, jog for half the interval distance to recover. Throw in four speed intervals, which should be 30 seconds per mile faster than your goal race pace. Recover from the speed intervals for the same distance. Finish off the workout with strides. Over 100 meters, gradually accelerate until you reach 90 percent of all-out effort. Hold that effort for five seconds, then smoothly decelerate. Walk to full recovery after each stride.
  13. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    I typically look the night before and use Google maps with the bicycle icon. Using the bike as opposed to walking will give you the elevation. There is also "measure distance" if you right click. That might get you closer to what your looking for.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    Steve
    Ridge likes this.
  14. Fenianbastard

Oddometer:
    Use telegraph poles for distance if you are running on the roads.
  15. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Wait... you still have telegraph poles? I'da thought Princeton, NJ would have modernized its communications by now. :dunno
  16. Fenianbastard

Oddometer:
    I probably reverted to my UK terminology, but we do still have poles here in Princeton!!!
  17. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Alright, I likes the Google distance measure tool! I used a new neighborhood that's almost exactly a mile from my office as my interval loops. Perfect!

Distance calculator.PNG
  18. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    ^^Nice

This is a loop not too far from the house. If you run your cursor over the elevation graph. It gives you a good idea where and how bad the climbs are on the route.
    Ridge likes this.
  19. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

I have a couple of routes that I use. I've run them enough I know what a slow pace is and what a fast pace is. I don't do intervals on these. If I'm doing intervals, I go to the local school and use their track. Mile warm up (4laps), then a fast lap then slow lap. Slow enough to get the heart rate back down. Fast lap is figured out using my best 5K race time, minus a little.
    Do 10-15 of those, then a mile or more cool down.

Then head to the local burrito shop. :lol3
    Ridge likes this.
  20. Ridge

Oddometer:
    I actually found a really cool app for the phone that I can set up intervals based on GPS distance. iSmoothRun notifies me at ½, ¼, and 10 seconds before the interval ends or the next one starts. It will save and export to Training Peaks, Garmin Connect, et al. Gives me an update of pace, time, HR, cadence, etc. at 1km increments. I'm digging it for the specificity training plan.

9 miles today in the snow and ice. Being that I'm in North Carolina, I got a lot of funny looks and a few waves. Wool socks and compression layers rock!

IMG_5256.JPG
    DeepSea likes this.