The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Shawn595

Shawn595 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.

Might learn a thing or three from you guys. :)
    Ridge likes this.
  2. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I ordered a Garmin 245 on Thursday. I haven't run since last weekend and am not going to run again until the watch comes next week - focusing on IT exercises and otherwise rest until then.

I downloaded Hal Higdon's winter training plan, which is meant for just general fitness.
    I think it might be just what I needed - I've been just running for whatever I feel like each day, which is just as random as it gets.
    I'll keep ya posted.
  3. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    It's been a slack week for me. A couple Thursdays ago I did my threshold run and my knee was sore for a few days. So I rested and did a short slow run Tuesday. Knee was sore again the next day, not much. I rested some more. Knee is feeling good today, but I will take the mountain bike out. I feel like dodging trees.
    Shawn595, Bloodweiser and gazoo like this.
  4. nuggets

Oddometer:
    MTB went well sat.

Short slow run again today. Got my HR a touch higher than zone 2 at 2 miles, so slowed to a walk to get my HR back down. Noted a bit of knee pain, so stopped running and walked home. Knee feels fine right now.

I'll just keep taking it slow.
    PoundSand, gazoo and DeepSea like this.
  5. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Race on Friday went better than expected. :clap

It was multiple wave starts for the 50 and 100 mile race. First wave started at 0400 for any of the 70+ year old competitors (in the 100) and last was at 0700. There were more in that 70+ age group than I ever would've expected. :lift
    This was my pre-race briefing for the 0515 start. Start times are based on my predicted finish time (28:30 not by my calculation). Faster people were in the later waves. Elites being in the 0700 start.
    [​IMG]
    The man with the mic is the race director. Davy Crockett. He also does a podcast on Ultrarunning history.

Cool temps and being acclimated to the elevation made the first 70 miles go very well.
    Here's some of the surrounding terrain.
    [​IMG]
    Some wild horses. There was a bunch that took off running later in the day. Very cool.
    [​IMG]
    So being in an early wave and running much faster than my predicted pace. I found myself physically in 2nd place for about 25 miles. :lol3 Knowing I had almost a 2 hour head start. I kept waiting for a crowd to pass. The "crowd" eventually showed and my run/walk regime is how I finished the race. I should mention that this was a self supported race. Meaning, no aid stations. Only check points. All aid was provided by your own crew. My long time friend drove along and leap frogged by many miles in the beginning and shortened that distance as the day/night went on.

[​IMG]
    I never stopped smiling. Especially when I figured out that I had a high probability of going sub 24hours for my first 100 mile finish. :deal

Total Finish time of 23hr 28min 28sec and a top 10 overall finish. :drink

Steve
  6. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah man!

What's the logic of starting faster runners later?
    I thought it was usually the other way around, to limit the passing that occurs.

?
    DeepSea likes this.
  7. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    The course is one giant out and back. Well sort of. The turn around is at mile 58. With the 15 minutes between waves and wide course. There isn't a problem passing. The main reason they do this. Is so we aren't so spread out towards the end. The faster groups close the gap over the 20-30 hours. It actually worked really well. I was running with the 1st place finisher, very close to sunset.

Steve
    Bloodweiser and Ridge like this.
  8. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Today's run thru Lake Fairfax was tough. Lots of huffing and puffing, but little forward motion.
    Aah well, I was out for about 50min anyways

M
    DeepSea, Bloodweiser and gazoo like this.
  9. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Having fun with the new watch. It has some training settings, which I think I'm still in the calibration phase, it has me going through some intervals, easy runs and time trials, I'm guessing to feel me out. It's definitely not telling me to run as much as I want to (yet, maybe that'll change) but I'm at a phase right now where I was looking for someone to tell me what to do. Pretty sure I was on the verge, or actually overtraining myself.
    DeepSea likes this.
  10. nuggets

Oddometer:
    Went out Thursday night and ran a slow 3 miles and change.
    Woke up with angry knee Friday. Didn't do much of anything all day. It's feeling better today.

When I crashed my mountain bike a few weeks ago I banged the inside of my knee pretty good. It didn't seem too interesting at the moment compared with other places that got hit. Maybe that's why my knee is grumpy.
    DeepSea likes this.
  11. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran last night for the first time since February... it was as unpleasant as I remember and my legs are currently in a full state of revolt at my hubris. The beatings will continue until the running fitness improves. :becca
    Shawn595, PoundSand and DeepSea like this.
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Trail run/walk is indicated. Run a bit. Walk a bit. Repeat.

As you know, you have the fitness to go full hog into the running, but the muscles, etc are going to be upset with the abuse.

AMHIK

M
  13. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was genuinely willing myself to slow down the pace. Was aiming for 10 minute mile and ended up with 9 minute miles. Plan is to keep running the 2 miles in front of my office a few times per week to base build for some weeks before I start any funny business with speed and efforts. Gotta get the muscle memory back, breathing, pace, form, etc...
    DeepSea and Bloodweiser like this.
  14. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Running slow is seriously hard business.

Zone 3 is still considered an easy pace, right?
  15. Ridge

Oddometer:
    I certainly hope so... even at a high cadence jog, my HR jumps to high Z3 then plummets to Z1 if I slow to walk; there is no in-between. At least not yet.
    Bloodweiser likes this.
  16. nuggets

Oddometer:
    I have the same thing happen. When starting on a slow run my HR almost immediately goes straight to zone 4. For the first few minutes I drop to a walk until I get back to zone 2, then start the jog again. I seem to get stable in zone 2 after about 5 minutes.

That's on flat ground. I'm sure it would be harder to stay in zone 2 on trails
    Bloodweiser, DeepSea and Ridge like this.
  17. nuggets

Oddometer:
    Anyway my knee is still cranky. It doesn't mind walking or biking.

Did 19 miles on my e-bike with 70lbs of child on the rack this morning.
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Takes me a little longer than 5min to have the HR come back down.15-20min mebbe. After things warm up, I can usually keep going at my (admittedly slow) pace for a while.

Since I popped a tendon on a trail run in Bonny Doon, CA I tend to be careful where there are roots and rocks that can roll ankles.

M
    Shawn595 and nuggets like this.
  19. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Something to consider when running slow. If I find myself running too fast or having a muscle group start to tighten up. I'll use a deep inhalation with a long slow exhale (sometimes it takes two breaths). This allows me to slow down and relax. It brings my heart rate down. Loosens muscles and washes away any stress mentally. I used this technique for the first 70 miles of my race last Friday. After 70 miles I was beyond allowing muscles to "relax". Still I'm sure it helped mentally all the way to the finish.
    Steve
    Bloodweiser, Ridge and nuggets like this.
  20. Skapegoat

Skapegoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Id be getting to a physiotherapist as this may need intervention to come good at this stage. Try a single leg squats on both legs 3x8 times and report back but it sounds like you may have stabilisation issue on one side that a physio could treat with a programme. Try find a physio who is a runner.

Slow running is tough on the head but easy on the body. My z2 used to be around 9min miles now its near 7min miles 4years since HR training. It works so stick with it.
    nuggets likes this.