The Running thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by slackmeyer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. I just had two pieces of cake (my wife's birthday) and now I feel like I should really go out for a run in the rain and dark. Because it's going to be raining a lot harder tomorrow. . .
    Mr Head and Ridge like this.
  2. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    Did a 3.5 mile trail run in the snow yesterday with the dog (he ran about 5 miles!!), had a blast.
    DeepSea likes this.
  3. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    That's dedication. :thumb

I feel bad complaining about scheduled runs and a little rain. :lol3

Here's tomorrows plan. An easy pace out and back trail run.

Steve
    Ridge likes this.
  4. ncsonderman

ncsonderman Sasquatch in training

Oddometer:
    I used to run around Salem Lake near Winston-Salem in the snow (always once or twice even in NC). Always seemed to be other hearty souls doing the same.

I did some intervals this morning to spice things up. Nice.
    Ridge likes this.
  5. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out by work we have a really well thought out neighborhood that has a .25 mile hill so on Monday's we do .25 hill repeats. 1.5 miles there to warm up and 1.5 back to cool down with 6 up hills and then down for recovery.

6.3 miles total today. The snow started about a half hour before leaving work for the day. Then another hour on the bike when I got home. My legs are mush.
  6. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    I have a similar hill that I use, .25 mile hill starting 1 mile from home. I make a loop of the hill so that my recovery is about 1/2 mile between hill repeats, that mainly keeps it more interesting than just running back down the hill. It's pouring rain here. I'm happy to run in snow or cold, but heavy rain, especially after dark. . . blech.
  7. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our problem down here in the south is ice. Snow falls, looks beautiful, easy-ish to drive on and easy to run/ride the MTB on so long as it's packed. That's the first day... then the plows come through, spread salt, scrape the roads into a sheet of melting snow that then turns into the longest ice rink you've ever witnessed when it freezes overnight. Add in hills and curves for an extra challenge. This shit takes days to finally disperse and melt through to pavement.

On the upside; it's a great reinforcement of core work while running... I call it the runner's shuffle.

IMG_5269.JPG
  8. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ridge, you may be a good candidate for the Yak-Trax or something like that. They are weird to run in the first few times each year but you get used to them on the slippery snow covered streets/paths.

The runner's shuffle is good though ;)
    Ridge likes this.
  9. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    short sheet metal screws, screwed into the soles of the shoes. The screw heads give great traction. Just don't walk inside with them. :lol3
    Ridge likes this.
  10. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Ha... well, this IS North Carolina so it'll be gone by today's end.

This is the weather for this week. Snowpocalypse three days ago to Spring by week end. :patch

27302 WTF.PNG
  11. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Well, I chose a basic 13 week training plan for my 50k coming up in April, courtesy of the plan generator at Santa Clarita Runners. It's a very basic spreadsheet that just lists miles per day and rest days. I actually have been doing a lot of reading and listening (podcasts) about the physiology of training and different strategies. I decided to use a really basic training plan, and I'll substitute my own interval training for one or two short runs a week. I'll do the long runs as prescribed, as much as I can (two long-ish runs every weekend, starting with 8mi/6mi and building up to 24mi/10mi. I think those are important not just for endurance but for mental training and figuring out what I'll carry and what I'll eat and what I'll wear.
    I wish I was going into this with slightly more consistent base mileage- for a while I was running 3 days a week, 20-25 miles more consistently. Since the holidays, with travel, working 6 days a week, family, etc. it's been more sporadic. I look forward to having a training schedule to stick to though, and I'm not worried about the mileage that it starts with.
    I have no ambitions to run this 50k as a competitive endeavor, I want to finish it feeling like I exerted myself, but was prepared.
    BTW, I like this podcast: Science of Ultra.
    DeepSea likes this.
  12. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    I took a nice easy 11 mile run this afternoon, in the pouring rain. I've got to say, running in the rain is fine once you warm up, but trying to get past oblivious people with large umbrellas is a pain in the ass. Nobody in Washington state uses an umbrella, but they're a thing here in the bay area. Ah well. I'll get some more opportunity to practice soggy running for the next week, we're not going to get much of a respite.
  13. Ridge

Oddometer:
    I've found, even when running in very cold conditions, snow, etc... a good pair of Merino wool socks and my feet stay quite warm. Have to layer the rest of the body but the feet staying as warm as they did, surprised me.

2 weeks to my 13k trail run. I'm feeling good on longer runs now but still don't have much actual trail time on my feet. Just don't have any very nearby.
  14. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Which trail run are you doing?
  15. Ridge

Oddometer:
  16. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Looks like a really fun run.

Good luck on your race. :thumb

Steve
    Ridge likes this.
  17. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    I had a fun part trail run yesterday- about half of my 12.5 miles was on trail, and the trail was often very muddy, and in other places blocked by fallen trees. It's been a rainy, rainy January here, and my local running spots have a lot of clay-ey soil that gets very slick. DeapSea, is it as bad out where you are? I assume most of your runs are near that one you posted near Antioch?
    Anyway, with a little run this morning before breakfast, I'm at 35 miles for the week, pretty good for me. My training plan next week has me doing 20 miles for the week, I'll add in some speed/intensity if I'm feeling good, or just back off if I don't recover much in the next couple days.
    Ridge and DeepSea like this.
  18. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    Same here with the slick clay and mud. I've had limit which trails I use and when. Luckily the one I shared is gravel and doable even in a downpour.
    Ridge likes this.
  19. DeepSea

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants to join up on Sundays. This is the 4 or 5 mile out and back I do. It's a scheduled easy run. Not that the course is easy, there is a decent climb the first mile, but the pace is supposed to be. So if your pace is slower than mine, I can slow down and it won't effect my training schedule. If your faster... well I know the way. :lol3

Wear trail running shoes and bring a towel.

Steve
  20. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Hey, I got an ACTUAL trail run in this past Saturday. We have the Mountains-to-Sea trail in NC and a nice chunk of it is just a few miles from the house, so I decided to give the new shoes a test and see how my fitness was working for off-pavement running. Turns out, the shoes kick ass but my running form on the trail sucks.

The section of trail in my county parallels the Haw River and is about 8-ish miles. I needed a 10 mile run for my training plan, so Mrs. Ridge dropped me off at the far end for me to run home. It's been on/off misting rain here all week so the ground is pretty saturated. Luckily there's not a lot of rocks along this trail but there are a ton of roots and they were really giving me a fit. I've become spoiled with the ease of maintaining form, pace, and stride count on the road training sessions.

All that shit is out the window on the trail... I have to free up my legs a bit more to clear obstacles, "jump" a bit more to clear fallen logs, and hop-skip for creek/rock crossings. At one point, there was just no clear way to cross a creek channel emptying into the river without getting my feet soaked. There were crossing rocks laid in the creek bed, but half of them were under 3" of very cold water. Wool socks rock, BTW.

My HR kept rising & falling above/below threshold but I didn't really feel fatigued until close to the end of the trail section and exiting back onto the road. I guess my mind was so pre-occupied with obstacle avoidance that it had suppressed all the discomfort from the bounding, and side-hopping. Gonna have to get more trail runs in-between now and the actual race to gain more confidence in maintaining a consistent pace.

Stopped for a breather down at one of the old textile mills along the river. We have lots of these mills dotting the landscape along the Haw. Some are still in operation while others have been re-purposed into housing and retail. This one is still operating... for now.

IMG_4975.JPG
    DeepSea likes this.