The Shortypants Thread: We are short women and this is what we ride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Region Riley, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    Cool bike! I've always liked the look of the NX250, I wish they still made them too. :thumb

edit: I just noticed the name thread name change. :rofl

Thanks Dysco and Hayduke!
  2. CJ Rider

CJ Rider Little Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seanachi- THAT IS TOO FUNNY with the BMW emblems - what a great look and I'll bet you fit right in with your BMW family members! I gotta remember to do that too as I'm married to one of "those" as well. :rofl

Region Riley- SO SHINY! Triad Ridge is definitely calling your name on that beautiful new bike. So we need details details details: 250? 450? any modifications planned? Inquiring minds want to know! :ear
  3. Region Riley

Oddometer:
    It's a left over 2009 400 XC-W. I'm still debating on some of the mods, but for now I can swap my 250 shorty suspension to the new bike. That's the beauty of the newer KTM's. :D
  4. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    sweeeet :clap

i wish i could get my wife to ride:cry

i have a niiice ts125 for her to learn on, keep up the good work ladies:clap
  5. jessepitt

jessepitt Ride More

Oddometer:

Unfortunatly we are no longer able to plate dirt bikes out here. We are stuck with what the manufacturer produce or bikes plated before the laws changed. The one advantage the L has is a disk rear brake. It would be good in between bike but we will probably end up with an XT225 as they are cheaper and easy to find. I realy like the XT but I don't think they are as off road capable as the honda.
  6. GnarlyKarle

GnarlyKarle aka: ici_moto

Oddometer:
    Great stuff ladies.

:clap
  7. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread, bound to be a reference for the ages!

One comment I'd add from personal experience, especially for guys that are choosing bikes for their ladies hoping to get them hooked, is that "she'll grow into it" is the worst line of logic ever for choosing a bike. And, while this thread is about RFS, even tall people (M or F!) shouldn't start on big bikes, as it adds too much chance for intimidation, etc.

Beg, borrow, or steal an XR100 or TTR 125, etc as a starting point, or better yet, two of them so you can ride together on them. They are awesome fun, friendly and un-intimidating, and if there's a chance that they'll love the sport, these kinds of small bikes will provide fertile ground for that seed to take root in. Once someone feels comfortable on a motorcycle, then it's time to start experimenting, but buying they bike they will want before they do want it, is a sure fire route to not enjoying the sport.

The beauty of these little bikes is that they are totally indestructible and commonly available used. They don't really depreciate, so get one out of craigslist, have fun with it for a while, and then sell it for what you paid.

If the goal is to do real dualsporting with plenty of street and dirt, this is still the right path, because there's no avoiding some falling down in the learning process. That's best done in the dirt at low speed on a bike that won't mind... and then when you add the street aspect, they'll be that much more comfortable.

:ricky
  8. CJ Rider

Oddometer:
    Ah, swappable parts ARE very nice. So, is the game plan for the 400 to be a replacement for the 250, or will it be turned into a dualsporter eventually? Just thinking about some nice dualsport adventures. :evil
  9. motomacs

motomacs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks,Kelly for starting a great thread.
    Lots of good advice for new riders as well as shorties.
    I'm 5' 4" with a 30" inseam. At 53 years old I'm having more fun on smaller lighter bikes. I put 10,000 miles on my HD Road Glide last year but my TTR125L is still the most fun bike in the stable. I put a light kit on it so I can ride between trails. If a trail dead ends I can pick it up and turn it around.
    I learned to ride on a Yamaha DT 250 when I was 16. I couldn't even get the tips of my toes down so I had to learn the one legged landing right off. The size was definately an impediment to my progress, though.
    I sold an R1200GS which was great for commuting and dirt roads but awful for singletrack( we have lots of both here). No fun picking that one up. I had it lowered 1/2 " and used the low seat.
    Since this was started in Thumpers I'll mention my '68 Bultaco Matador. It doesn't have the suspension travel of modern monoshocks and it is kickstart only but it is well proportioned for shorties. Many of the old bikes are more human sized.
    I've never liked the trade off of loosing suspension travel to get my feet to the ground and low seats often make for odd ergonomics.
    The XT225 and Sherpa have the proportions but are low spec as is most of the gear made for wee folk.
    Keep the solutions coming and in the meantime keep riding!
  10. Junglerot

Junglerot /dev/null

Oddometer:
    As soon as I saw this thread title I thought of you Kelly :rofl.

BTW, my inseam is only 30" :deal
  11. Region Riley

Oddometer:
    I'd kill for a 30" inseam. But I guess we can call you shortypants. If you really want us to. :rolleyes

:lol3
  12. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nah. :nah That's AnnieGS

[​IMG]
  13. DirtySantana

DirtySantana Chopper

Oddometer:
    I'll have to have my vertically challenged riding partner to contribute to this thread. She is itching to ride right now. Noticed the shaved down saddle.

Attached Files:

14. LoriKTM

LoriKTM Wrecking Ball

Oddometer:
    Time to get this back on the first page....

I recognize many of these ladies, but I see there's a few more that I have yet to ride with! :clap

Back when I started riding dirt, there weren't many small bikes, and none of them had electric start. :gerg
    So many more good options these days! I sure wish the TTR125 was around when I started. Would have fit the beginner me perfectly. At 5'3" I have a 29" inseam, maybe 30" with moto boots on.

I'd only had my motorcycle license for 6 months when I met my husband. He then introduced me to dirt riding by putting me on his Yamaha XT350. Hey, I could do this. I'd been riding my little Rebel 250 around the streets, and had the clutch, brakes, balance thing ALL figured out. However, the XT350 was tall, heavy, kickstart only, and I dumped it into a deep water puddle within the first 100 yards of riding it. :norton

Such was the beginning of a long and tortuous affair with that bike. It's a wonder my husband (then boyfriend) stuck with me, and it was also a wonder I continued riding. But, it immediately pointed out the need for good gear and an appropriately sized bike to learn on.

I saved up a bit of cash and got a used 1987 XR200. Which was actually a frankenbike, as it had a '83 motor in that '87 frame. That lasted for about a year, until the transmission went out. I then bought a brand-new '95 Kawi KDX200, and sent out the suspension to be lowered 1.5" BEFORE I ever rode it. Suspension lowering was pretty new back then-- I remembered reading an article in Dirt Bike magazine and was positive this was the way to go.

The KDX and I became great friends. We rode tons of trail, and even did a few MX races.
    [​IMG]

After a few years, the KTM 200 seemed like a logical step up-- after all, my husband had gotten a new (1999) KTM 250, and just raved about it. So in the year 2000, I sold the KDX and got a KTM 200. This one I rode for a bit, but eventually I had the suspension lowered as well-- this time by 1".

[​IMG] We started getting more into the harescrambles races around Illinois, and even tried an enduro.

We then moved to New York, and did some more racing. By a fluke accident, I ended up having to ride my husband's 250 for a run we went to in Vermont. He borrowed a bike from a friend. It was amazing the transformation my riding took when I was on the 250. After the run was over, I sold my 200 and took over the KTM 250. Of course, I had to have the suspension lowered 1" on THAT bike, too. My husband didn't mind that I took his bike-- it left him open to get the KTM 450 that he was eyeing. :lol3

The KTM 250 was, and still is, one of my my most favorite bikes. It took me to several enduro finishes in the ECEA circuit, and never once skipped a beat. I'm still not sure why we ever sold it.
    [​IMG]

Then came the move to New Mexico, and desert riding. I picked up a KTM400, and did NOT lower the suspension. That was fine in a lot of the desert riding we did, but not in some of the mountain riding. Another issue was that I couldn't get the 400 street titled, so I sold it. I now have a Husqvarna TE250, which IS street titled, AND also lowered 1.5". Even after lowering, the Husky still has a 36.5" seat height! :eek1

After taking a year or so off to feed a sport bike fix, I'm back riding the Husky regularly, and finding out that the little thumper is more than capable, plus I am re-learning some fine details of clutch control that I had gotten sloppy about on the bigger bikes.

I am obviously a big fan of suspension tuning, because along with the lowering of the bike, it is also re-valved to match my weight and riding style. It's been said that suspension is the biggest performance enhancement you can make in a bike (more so than engine mods) and I believe it.

I've pretty much given up flat-footing any of my bikes, even street bikes. As long as I can get my left foot (or toe) down for stop lights, I'm good. I just hope that a gust of wind doesn't upset my balance and take me out while I'm stopped! :lol3
  15. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    :clap Good to see you posting up your story too Lori!! I hope we get to do some riding together again one of these days!!
  16. CJ Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Lori :wave Speaking of you desert riding... It took me a little while to find this pic, but I KNEW I had it somewhere... :clap
    [​IMG]
  17. CJ Rider

Oddometer:
    Another pic of Lori desert riding :clap
    [​IMG]
  18. LoriKTM

LoriKTM Wrecking Ball

Oddometer:
    That picture STILL gives me the willies just looking at it. :lol3

19. Region Riley

Oddometer:
    CJ Rider has told me stories of the infamous LoriKTM! Great stuff!
  20. Region Riley

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ned, really good advice! :thumb