The Shortypants Thread: We are short women and this is what we ride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Region Riley, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Belgradian

Belgradian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had the suspension worked on by Travis Jones at Go Race, and dropped the height by about 2 1/2", and shaved the seat for about an inch more. I'll post a photo.
  2. Belgradian

Oddometer:
    IMG_1827.JPG
    manx16, mangeldbug and Dao1 like this.
  3. Belgradian

Oddometer:
    Currently 29" and the springs are set for her weight.
  4. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can tell the suspension travel has been decreased. Maybe not a bad thing for a small light weight person.
  5. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Also, the Suzuki DR200 is a good bike for a small rider. They used to be pretty cheap used, but, I haven't priced them in several years.
  6. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    My wife with her new Duke 390 doing a little parking lot practice.

[​IMG]

She's around 5'4"... the Duke is a very nice fit. On most bikes, it's the reach to the bars and not seat height that has given her problems. The KTM bars are close to the seat like a dirtbike. Worth a look for anyone in a similar position.

7. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed had a rack built for his to carry luggage and a seat for long distance built as well. Other than that it was tires oil changes and chain and sprockets for over 20000 miles of trouble free riding through India on terrible riding conditions. He said it was sprung a bit softly for him plus gear and the tires weren't good for the muddy sections! I really think that bike would make an excellent light adventure bike with a minimum of work. Almost 6" of suspension travel and 6.8" ground clearance with a 31.4" seat height and 43hp. Throw some 50/50 tires on and have a blast!
    JJ
    PlowHand likes this.
  8. GailCallsMeKarl

GailCallsMeKarl Squirrel w/ no nuts Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm going to say, I bought a Duke in the fall and it's everything I ever needed in a bike. Light, good ground clearance, and just really fun. Any shorty pants would enjoy it. I don't have it lowered, but KTM offers a lowering kit. I had a Honda 230M as my first bike and it was fine, but heavy and not nearly as agile as fun as the Duke. And the price tag is fantastic. Ergos are close to my dirt bikes.

Hand guards add the ability to push the bike away from you without dropping it. (To aid in throwing a leg over).

As for dual sport....these bikes can do it.

http://www.deelipmenezes.com/?p=2092&cpage=1#comment-816

Edit: 26" inseam for reference. I actually can't touch the ground but with one toe, but it's so light, it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    oldoval likes this.
  9. CouchRider

CouchRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    is there a tread like this for the very tall people? seems i cant find the right words in search option

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
  10. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen one. Maybe you should start one. I think the general consensus is that it's easier to bend you knees than stretch your legs.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk
    PlowHand likes this.
  11. mangeldbug

mangeldbug YSRacer

Oddometer:
    First, I dont think dual sports are a bad idea for a beginner - maybe some dual sports with crazy power and torque, but not an XT. They are very light, don't go very fast right out of the gate (no accidental wheelies!), dont have insane braking power (meaning you can really mash the hell out of them without a major incident), and in a nutshell are very forgiving. And its a great do-everything bike. I commute, run errands, blast places on the highway (but now remembering to check my oil EVERY TIME), and go trail riding. The only maintenance issues have been the carb, and we solved that. And it crashes very well.... Im a beginner to trail riding, and have done some pretty challenging stuff on this bike, and it does everything I ask. I also firmly believe that offroad experience will make you a better street rider. Its a different ball game when the ground isnt completely solid underneath you, and knowing what to do when that happens on the street is so important. I wish I started sooner!

Dual sports in general are a bit taller, but there are ways to lower pretty easily and for little money, as people mentioned (lower seats, sliding the forks up in the triple, dogbones) or you can go a bit crazier by getting smaller wheels (I never did this because this would affect offroad clearance). One of the biggest challenges to learning to ride is getting your clutching and braking down. When I teach I emphasize SMOOTH in everything you do. Maybe not being able to flat foot isnt the most ideal for new riders who are a bit nervous about the whole thing (its all in your head!), but not having that security kind of forces you to be smoother in your starts and stops - and that will ultimately make you a better rider no matter what bike you are on, and help your confidence. Smooth = fast later on.

Just remember, eyes up!! I tell my students look where you want to go...And you dont want to go down :D

Also, RE: Grom. Its low compared to a lot of street bikes, but I was surprised the first time I sat on it. Definitely not as low as I was expecting from what others had told me. #shortypantsproblems
    Cyber;Bird likes this.
  12. mangeldbug

mangeldbug YSRacer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha this is my husband falcn's favorite response when I complain about a bike being too tall for me...
    "Snap snap streeetch!" Just rude. :flip
  13. kudzub

kudzub n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, after kicking some tires at dealerships over the last week or so I've decided a few things:
    1. No Grom. It's just not the right bike for me. It simply doesn't seem appropriate for off road riding. I think I'd spend too much time with those little wheels bogged down in mud or it's low undercarriage stuck on roots. Not to mention the problem of needing different handlebars to get the levers closer to me. Also, I think just shaving the seat wouldn't be enough. It's still need lowering, making off-roading even less of a reasonable expectation.
    2. No TW or VanVan either. Too bulky to be picking up over and over again. And that bulk seems like too much for me on trails, at least for now.
    3. Most of the bikes I tried had pegs arranged exactly where my feet would be going down. Meaning, to get my feet down I had to have my legs either farther out, away from the bike or farther back, behind the pegs. It was quite frustrating though also interesting. I have no memory of this being a problem on the little dirt bikes or cruisers I've ridden. It's already hard enough to keep a bike upright on slick surfaces without having my legs as strange angles, especially considering the bike would already be leaning just to get my toes in contact with the ground.
    4. I'd never be able to push any of these bikes forward or backwards while sitting on them. See #3.
    5. I need Frankenstein boots. Actually, I've already purchased some though meant for a different type of riding. My new Ariats add almost 2 inches of height. That should help.
    6. Am signing up the MFS dirt bike course.

Jet said:
    "Off-road, we don't have wide open desert in GA. We do have an abundance of tight woods, undulating terrain, ditches, hills, clay, logs, mud holes, and underbrush. Being able to not just reach the ground for a corrective dab, but to do so at enough of a leverage angle to do any good, is critical."​

Exactly! If these were just dirt trails I wouldn't have had such a problem. It was also interesting when I was talking to BF about all the hills. It seems he hadn't considered that his own height combined with the extra height of his bike gave him a real advantage over short me on a shorter bike. He got, what seemed to me like, a few crucial seconds of advanced notice of what awaited us over each rise. What would it be, deep ruts leading down to a mud puddle? Slimy clay-covered roots just before a sharp turn? Oh, the suspense. :lol Then again, I'll always have the advantage if there are low hanging branches. :D

Oh, we are West of Durhamtown, but East of Atlanta. Should probably do that MFS dirt bike course first to make it less likely I'll have to buy a bike from you after I bust it. ;) But if you are serious about letting us have a little go with trials bikes, I'd LOVE to take you up on that.

mangeldbug, putting smaller wheels on an XT would bring the clearance down to that of the CRF125 I rode & liked. Perhaps less than ideal, but to me it sounds like a good option. That plus shaving the seat should get me 3 inches. Add in the extra reach gained by the new boots & it could be workable. Depending on how wide it is & how it fit me, like where the pegs are, that might be enough to let me have fun while learning not to fall. Actually, the smaller wheels would shave a little weight & get the center of gravity down lower as well. That all sounds good to me, at least for now. I've already fallen off of two wheels, human powered version, and broken my pelvis. It wasn't a bad break, but am not eager to repeat the experience. Still, I do want to ride. (Hmmm, one might question my sanity.)
    mangeldbug likes this.
  14. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you have a plan. I do have a concern with "boots that give you extra height". I'd think the risk of twisting an ankle would be greater. But I have had a broken ankle and leg bone now ankle is fused. So I'm overly cautious. I also find it hard to push my bike forward or rearward while on it. One of many things that I have to adapt around with my body issues. This year I've spent some money on my TW, buying another front wheel so I can mount a different front tire. So now I have an easy swap from an aggressive tread to a mild. Since I'm still alive I'm still playing.
  15. redrock88

redrock88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    Decently built ankle support negates the worry about, well, ankle support no matter what the height of the sole. Most MX boot would qualify and are designed to break the leg bone rather than the delicate ankle bones in a severe twist situation...the sole is really a meaningless variable.
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am a short old guy and I took a Honda CRF250 Rally out for a test ride today. I need to practice my ass sliding to the side to get a foot down. Sometimes just the toe nails is not enough.

I slid over to one side to do something and then had to slide over to the other side to do something else. I bet it looked funny from behind.
  18. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    The short leg
  19. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    CouchRider likes this.
  20. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer: