The Shortypants Thread: We are short women and this is what we ride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Region Riley, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  2. rpmk4

rpmk4 n00b

Oddometer:
    great thread :thumbup i'm glad to know my short wife has options once she gets comfortable on her ttr125le. i think she would love the option to have a street legal bike. she doesn't get real aggressive off road anyway.
    her ride via iphail:
    [​IMG]
  3. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    I like it! :freaky Interesting to me because my wife started riding just a couple of years ago. She's been through a few bikes now, and lowering them has been a constant theme. I'll send her this link and get her to tell her story. :D
  4. Kelly_O

Kelly_O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread since it's start. I don't have shortypants. I'm 6'8" with a 39" inseam. They don't make bikes tall enough for me. Really! I haven't found a bike that I can ride standing up. I would need ape hangers on my Yamaha TT600 to stand and ride.
    Back to the subject at hand. My wife Tracy is 5'2" with a 29" inseam. We don't have any doubt that she should have a dirt bike of her own. It's really hard, as you've all pointed out, to find a bike for a RFS person. It seems the correct way to purchase one is to wait for another RFS person to trade up to a bigger bike, and buy their "hand me down" bike. I've been watching for a small bike in the ads.
    I came across this today. It appears to be a liquidation of new bikes and ATVs. Not much notice, I know.
    http://www.unitedauctioneers.net/upcoming.html
    Keep up the good work! Kelly.
  5. Cloud9

Cloud9 I was HERE?

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Really excellent and informative thread.
  6. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    My new and improved stable. :wings

[​IMG]

On the left, my new 400xc-w with my special shorty seat and lowered 1/2inch. I'm going to try and ride it as is for the first time today. :D

On the right, is my old 250xcf-w with new plastic and graphics.

Let's ride. :ricky
  7. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Was the auction for the TTR225? if so, I'd reccomend the TTR-125L. The 225 as far as I remember felt a tad larger than the XT225 (could just be riding experience between the 2)... but for an offroad only bike, you cant beat the 125... it's a LOT smaller and lighter than the 225... She'd probably have a lot more fun on that than trying to wrestle around with the bigger bike. JMHO
  8. underkill

Oddometer:
    JEALOUS!!!! :eek1 Can I come ride with you!? :evil
  9. JingJing

JingJing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, how did I not see this thread until now? Anyway, I'm 5' 1" with a 28.5" inseam and am on my fourth bike in four years - see a pattern? I also only started riding motorcycles four years ago but before that I rode road and mountain bikes for years and suffered from RFS syndrome there too.

My first motorcycle was a Kawasaki 125cc Eliminator which was good to learn on as it had a 26 inch seat height. But, the foot forward controls didn't work for me and I couldn't stand up while launching over bumps. So the next bike was a 2006 Ninja 250 (older style). Great bike until I decided that I wanted to be able to ride off-road a bit. So next came the DRZ400SM which I had a 2" lowering link and then also had the suspension lowered to get the seat height down to 32.5". But, that bike was top-heavy and while riding on the street was fine, I had problems riding it on narrow streets or crowded parking lots as I still couldn't get both feet on the ground (basically was one-footing it all of the time and it's really hard to back up with only one toe on the ground).

Finally, I happened to spy a left-over KLX250SF at the dealer. It was only 20 lbs lighter but it rode like it was 50 lbs lighter. I used a 1.75" lowering link until recently but I finally decided to go whole hog and get the suspension redone. Why, because I'm only 108 lbs and when I sat on bike, I didn't hardly sag and I felt like I was riding one of my unsuspended mountain bikes.

So I had the forks and shock sent to David at FastBikesIndustries for respringing, lowering, revalving, etc... When I finally got to ride it, I was totally amazed at the transformation of my little KLX. It's worth the bucks folks! I think David charged me around $380 - very reasonable and a superb job. I can now get the balls of both feet on the ground and parking lot maneuvers have gotten a heck of lot easier and the handling is awesome. It's now a point-and-shoot bike whereas before I always felt like the bike was fighting me.

Here's a pic of me on my beloved KLX although it's not lowered in this photo:
    [​IMG]
  10. Region Riley

Oddometer:
    Nice! :thumb
  11. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    :clap The white plastics looks really good on the 250, Kelly!!! Nice!

Have a good time today! I can't wait to hear about how the 400 is!
  12. Kelly_O

Kelly_O Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Underkill, The auction contains about a half dozen 125s and that's what I'm planning on getting for her. I probably won't be involved in this auction. Tracy is going to Oregon in 2 weeks. I'm hoping to surprise her with a bike on her return. The auction is streaming LIVE as we speak. I'm sort of keeping an eye on it as it progresses. If the prices brought are low enough, I MAY bid. We'll see. Thanks for taking an interest, Kelly.
  13. underkill

Oddometer:
    oh nice! when i pulled it up the link went right to a TTR 225... darn internets!!! :rofl btw, I find good used TTRs on craigslist all day long for very cheap... Might be worth looking into if the auction ones don't work out... btw, the KLX 140L and CRF150 are also a pretty nice machines and pretty much the same. (the black Monster edition KLX really wants to follow me home...)
  14. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear :ddog
  15. Bonnie Abbzug

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  16. Region Riley

Oddometer:
    Well, I tried to ride it. :rofl

Please excuse the shakey videos, my videographer was more concerned with the prospect of having to catch me. :lol3

<object width="640" height="360" ><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2011030702.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9MTIyOTY1NjU4NyZrPUNtWXZGJmE9MTYzNDUxNDFfTVlHUmYmdT1jdmVzdGFs" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2011030702.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9MTIyOTY1NjU4NyZrPUNtWXZGJmE9MTYzNDUxNDFfTVlHUmYmdT1jdmVzdGFs" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

It's hard to see, but I cheated a little on my first attempt. I was in a little bit of a rut and I was able to get one toe down.

<object width="640" height="360" ><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2011030702.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9MTIyOTY1MTIyNiZrPVpRcTZiJmE9MTYzNDUxNDFfTVlHUmYmdT1jdmVzdGFs" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2011030702.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9MTIyOTY1MTIyNiZrPVpRcTZiJmE9MTYzNDUxNDFfTVlHUmYmdT1jdmVzdGFs" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Getting off in the rut was not so bad. :dunno

Then I tried starting and stopping on even ground. The takeoff went pretty well, but unfortunately it didn't get filmed. The dismount was a big FAIL. My boot got caught on the brand new sharp foot peg. :cry

<object width="640" height="360" ><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2011030702.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9MTIyOTY2NTU4MyZrPWNmcGRFJmE9MTYzNDUxNDFfTVlHUmYmdT1jdmVzdGFs" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2011030702.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9MTIyOTY2NTU4MyZrPWNmcGRFJmE9MTYzNDUxNDFfTVlHUmYmdT1jdmVzdGFs" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
  17. Bonnie Abbzug

Oddometer:
    :clap

Welll, you rode it anyway!

Does it have some awesome power?
  18. Region Riley

Oddometer:
    I didn't really flog it too much, but it is super smooth for a thumper.
  19. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am so proud she tried it. :clap

Plan is to try my 530 suspension on the 400. We parked the 530 next to the 400. The fresh new 400 is almost 2" taller than the 530. :wink:
  20. Bonnie Abbzug

Oddometer:
    Nice! Are you going to go ahead and put the other forks on it, or continue to ride it tall?