The Shortypants Thread: We are short women and this is what we ride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Region Riley, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started riding young. First mini bike then a TS90. I could only touch with one foot when I got it. I also had "dad's" RV125. Then a DT250, I could tippy toe it. Then IT's. I touched only air. Then street, now back to where I started with dual. To old and broken to have much higher than a TW now.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    pigmywolf likes this.
  2. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    A Giant just pointed me toward this thread. Literally, I call him The Giant. Thats his nick name or at least my nickname for him. So glad to have found thread. Recovering from a "slight" meeting with an RV while out on an extended roam. Bike survived and so did I (sorta). Reading still problamatic but lots of catching up to do on this thread eventually. Lots of mistakes making a bike fit. Certainly not true off road but does a bit of everything. Like the distance riding which is how I set the bike up. Compromises all over the place but its a hoot to ride. As soon as I am able, trip back on. More sunsets needed! 20170628_210149.jpg
    Huck369 and Dualsport Chic like this.
  3. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. massholejim

massholejim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Years ago my wife went from an rm 80 to yz 125 she is 5.2 shaved seat and lowered the sub frame 10 mm.It was still tall so we sent the suspension out to be lowered 1 inch it was never right after being lowered.Her next bike was a 2003 wr250f I did the seat and the subframe she sent her boots to sole performance in California they added an inch and a half to the sole she loved them just had to move shifter up a little just an alternative if anybody decides to move up on bikes.My wife still has the wr a dr650 and an older triumph 955 sprint now she uses regular motor boots off-road and slides off recluse helps.
  5. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Too bad about the YZ, sounds like you got a bad tuner. BTDT. I lowered mine 2" and aside from the loss of ground clearance it's a total improvement. I did it as much for the lower CG as for height, and couldn't be happier. I'll share the recipe if anyone wants.
    massholejim likes this.
  6. massholejim

Oddometer:
    Won’t mention name but I offered to drive 4 hours to let him watch my wife ride so he could redo suspension and his answer was to return to stock. Haven’t sent any suspension out since rebuild with u tube and have local shop recharge nitrogen on shocks.
  7. massholejim

Oddometer:
    Glad it worked out for you I was suprised by the shops arrogance maybe he had bad day but he has saved me a lot of money since then.
    Luke and Padilen like this.
  8. flybynite

flybynite So far so good

Oddometer:
    My SO who is 5'3" in her boots rode a TW200 for 2 years as a novice/intermediate rider. It took her some time to get used to its quirky nature but after a short learning curve she absolutely loved it. It is a great bike to learn how to manage a 'full' size bike without feeling overwhelmed. You just need to give yourself enough saddle time to get confident. Don't judge it too quickly.

If you buy a good used one you will always recoup most of your money if you really don't gel with it. It's worth the gamble IMHO.

This pic taken in the Baviaanskloof, Eastern Cape - one of the many water crossings.

IMG_2768-HDR.jpg
  9. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Opps. Wrong thread. :shog
  10. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Cornered the local market for GS500Es? Stay awhile. This thread has been mighty slow over the winter.
  11. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have a few. :D
  12. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    If it's any help to anyone my wife is 5'0" with a 28" inseam and she's found the new G310GS to be perfect for her height.
    SMIFFXC and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  13. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am a short guy, 5 foot 6, and my inseam is 28 inches. You might want to re-measure hers. Although I once knew a short lady who had a very short torso and long legs.

I sat on a G310GS with a low seat at a motorcycle show. The dip in the seat and the tank made such a small area that my package had no room. Mind you female anatomy is a little different but it was a tight space.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  14. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    This may come as a big shock to you but not everyone has the same proportions as you. I'm 5'7" and my inseam is only an inch longer than hers. And after spending quite a lot of time working out bicycles, motorcycles, moto gear, and skis to fit each of us I've got a pretty good idea of exactly what both of our inseams are both with or without boots.
  15. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am always amazed at the shapes and sizes of humans. I sometimes wonder if we really are all the same species.

I was looking at two women yesterday that were about 200 pounds apart but the same height and probably almost the same skeleton underneath.

Ride on and enjoy life.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I look at the women on Fox News and I often think they are extraterrestrial.
    PlowHand and ben2go like this.
  17. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    They appear to be in disguise but they aren't doing a good job of being incognito.
    PlowHand likes this.
  18. Belgradian

Belgradian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a lowered XT225 for sale in the Flea Market, Go Race modified the suspension, 29 1/2" seat height.
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  19. SMIFFXC

SMIFFXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife is short as well and sat on one of these a couple weeks ago. She wasn't flat foot but certainly would be doable. My 15 year old really, really, really wanted us to buy it. You know...for "her". :)
  20. nacho squatcho

nacho squatcho Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been looking into getting a first bike for my wife (5’3”, 130 lbs, 27”-28” inseam). I have a KTM 350 EXC-F and I’ve been looking into whether it would be possible to lower it enough for her to learn to ride on, but I’m not sure if it’s possible to lower it that much. Whether it’s that or we buy her a different motorcycle, I’d like to get something with some decent suspension for trail riding and light weight (under or around 250 lbs). Any suggestions much appreciated.