1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Shortypants Thread: We are short women and this is what we ride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Region Riley, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Forget about KTMs - the ergos won't work without destroying the suspension/travel. Try a Yamaha XT250 - 31.9" seat height and bike's engine can go through anything - I have 38K miles on mine now and I lead a 200 person D/S group with it. While not a KTM - it will fit which will make all the difference in the world for a rider just getting into D/S. 291 lb weight but you can't feel it - at least she'll be able to get solid footing which will mean more than the extra lbs. I've been training female riders for years - putting them on something too tall wrecks their confidence and causes most to leave the sport prematurely. Once she gets the hang of the off-road thing, she can then move up to taller/higher hp machine.
  2. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is street legal needed?
    If not CRF150F or a Kawasaki KLX140.
    If street legal
    Perhaps a Grom with dirt mods I'm not sure of their weight.
    Perhaps an older XT225.
    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
  3. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The maximum lowering for KTM w/ the PDS suspension system is going to be right at 2" seat drop.
    This max. amount will still allow you to use KTM coil springs, and the internal valving will still be within the allowable stroke distance to dampen firmer as the suspension nears end of travel (ie, rising rate).

Any lower, and you will need to find a shorter overall length coil spring, oftentimes something custom, which will be prohibitively expensive. Plus, you will no longer have ample suspension stroke to maintain that rising rate.
  4. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at any of the AJP bikes? Low seat hight true off road bike. I did the dirt bike school in Alpharetta with my GF. it was good because I can't teach her.

AJP PR3 can be taken down to 30inches seat hight and leave 8 inches of quality suspention travel. Thats with out cutting seat foam. Bike weight is 215lbs wet, air cooled 20hp.
    Huck369 likes this.
  5. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    I love my PR4, Great Trail Bike, not super fast, but handles great, especially on tight trails
  6. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kicking is a good thing. Motivation not to stall.
  7. Scratch n Dent

Scratch n Dent Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So..I’m a 5’3” (with big boots on) female rider. I sat on the XT250 and was just fine. Lower the seat or get a lowering link and she will touch easy and it is light. However, if she has never ridden before and you are playing in dirt only, then get something as small as you can knowing that you will be swapping it out for another soon if she takes to it. If she hasn’t ridden before suspension would not be my primary concern; any jumps she does shouldn’t be significant. The combination of weight and height is nasty for beginners especially starting as an adult when, unlike kids, you know you are breakable :) Good luck. I just bought a DR650 but used to have a GSXR750 and don’t mind the occasional dirt nap we take as I get the handle of the heavy bush pig.
    nacho squatcho likes this.
  8. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Paper chaser Supporter

Oddometer:
    We grabbed a KTM 390 Duke - I'm solid on the balls of my feet on it and I have a 28" inseam. Also have an XT225 and am flat footed almost on it (it's a tad older so the suspension has been broken in/softened up)
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    First Post!

I spent about 20 miles demo riding the Royal Enfield Himalayan and think she would make a great MC for this thread.

If you are really short and light and are kind of athletic, the Himi is worth a demo ride.

I'm 160lbs without gear and what not, and she pulls from 50-70mph ok.
    Top speed is 83mph. Some have reached 87mph.
    I'm 5-10" or so.

I have so many good things to post, that I'll just put down the negatives.
    Short service intervals
    Compass is hard to calibrate
    Ambiant temp gauge is next to motor. Dumb.
    Could use 5-10 more horses. Makes about 26hp or so and is 411cc and is over 400lbs wet.

Reasons she is good for short riders.
    1. Low COG
    2. Great turning radius
    3. Great standing Eros
    4. Great low down pull
    5. 31.5" seat height. Seat is kind of wide and comfortable. I could barley flat foot.
    6. Buy and ride ADV TOURING MC. Just add bark busters.
  11. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    What is your inseam length? The seat sounds way too wide for the inseam impaired crew. Also, the manufacturer does not have an excellent reputation for product reliability.

I'll stick with my Honda CRF230L: air-cooled, 271 pounds curb weight (pretty easy to get out from under), and it climbs most anything after changing the rear sprocket from 39 to 48 teeth. 15K trail-riding miles without any problems (other that re-welding the subframe after it broke from too many jumps carrying a 20# tool bag).
    MightyMouseNM likes this.
  12. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those that watch Everride he did a "ghostride" actually liked it

13. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Himilayian will be hard to ride for anyone with a 30-inch inseam or under. I have a 27-inch inseam and 5'8". I can't get a toe down even if I slide off the seat.
  14. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. nocalbruin

nocalbruin No matter where you go, there you are

Oddometer:
    IMAG0631.jpg P1010697.JPG I've had my 2014 CSC RX-3 for over 3 years now and it is an affordable, reliable, and versatile bike for shortys like me. I'm 5'4", short legs at 28" inseam. I ordered the bike with factory lowered dog-bones then had the seat foam shaped and cut-down. I can easily flat-foot in my Bates boots. I've taken it all over northern California, up the coast to Eureka, and into Yosemite. Not much top end at 70MPH max so don't expect to do interstates all day long, but definitely a great option for the vertically challenged.
  16. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    MightyMouseNM and Dualsport Chic like this.
  17. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    It's more dirt riding than adventure riding, but I'm amazed at the way Megs Braap very rarely has issues with short legs. Even in hard terrain if she needs to put a foot down she slides half off the bike to just get the tip of her boot on the ground, then she's off again. :D

N8 and Huck369 like this.
  18. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah but she's young and fit. I'm old and not fit..
    My GPX TSE250R, removed preload from rear shock. Raised fork tubes as much as possible. Shaved the seat and used a vinyl -slippery seat cover. The seat cover is actually my TW's "new replacement". But I needed it for my TSE
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Huck369 and N8 like this.
  19. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Sucks to be old & short, old people don't bend that way anymore, no muscle & more weight, really sucks. Not all old people but some of us. Sorry not everyone can be an expert so deal with it. Short people have a shorter distance to fall. But old bones take longer to heal. I want a refund or a do over. Pain sucks, but drugs are the answer. Canada has better drugs.
    Adanac rider, ben2go and Padilen like this.
  20. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am slipping into that description. I have a condition (spinal stenosis) that if not monitored properly cause the ground to smack me in the face, HARD! I have broken my hands, feet, fractured a collarbone and a few ribs. But nothing hurts worse than breaking your nose four times in four years. Feck! That's the worst pain. It seems like each one hurt worse than the last, and I was a youngster.