1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Shortypants Thread: We are short women and this is what we ride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Region Riley, Mar 18, 2011.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I want to have my nose surgically rebuilt so that my glasses have a place to rest. The second option is to have some kind of body jewelry put in place to attach the frame to it magnetically.

I was watching short women today and I really wanted to ask the ladies what their inseams were but would that be rude?
    ben2go likes this.
  2. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was lucky enough each time to get medical attention and set my nose. The packing sucks. Now I snore like a big gorilla. :rofl
  3. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently wearing a heart monitor. 12 more hours on it, then an echo Friday.
    At the doctors, what got those tests ordered?. I wanted a steroid shot in my shoulder. Dr, looked at my chart, said that's just arthritis. I said yes but it's bothering me. Waking me up at night from pain. Then I have to try and get comfortable and back to sleep.
    So yeah, I get a heart monitor and test .

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
  4. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    When she starts complaining about the bike not climbing well, you can put a 48-tooth rear sprocket on the bike and fix that. It does limit the top speed to 54-55 mph.

[​IMG]
  6. ThumperX

ThumperX Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    5'2" Old, fat, and tired riding a Beta 430RR-S lowered 2" with a low seat and fstway pegs lowered 3/4 "and back.

[​IMG]
  7. ThumperX

Oddometer:
    Awsome video!!! Megs IS amazing!! She and Melissa Bruce take away all of our excuses! lol
    Huck369 likes this.
  8. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    While not so good for off road unless easy dirt roads qualify, the old school hardtail harleys may work for some that are height challenged. I dont know what the actual seat height was, but even with the spring seat, its pretty low. For a scale, the rear rim is 16". My old GF was 5'3" 110-ish lbs and had no problems riding her bike. Standing up off the seat she would have quite a bit of clearance.

Not sure what the later swingarm bikes can be gotten down to, but the factory claims 26" seat height on some, and they usually have thicker seats than are available from aftermarket custom suppliers. The weight of the big twins (not the same as sportsters) has always seemed far less than book due to the very low center of gravity, nice for riding and nice if one has to pick it up.

We used to run about 18-20 lbs air pressure in the rear tire to soften the ride a bit on the hardtails.

PP 52 pan 1.jpg
    Ginger Beard and ThumperX like this.
  9. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those bikes are hard to find. Seem to be collector's items nowadays. I have a 2000 V Star 650 Classic. My GF is 4'11" with a 26 inch inseam. She can tip toe on my V Star. It has a pretty wide seat. It could be reworked to narrow and lower it a bit. I would say the seat height is about 26 inches. Not a good off-roader of course but not to bad on groomed gravel roads.
    Malamute likes this.
  10. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Intruder was about 26" with a wide seat. It sucked on gravel and worse in sand. Did alright on hard packed, and sucked again on anything tight.
    But its a street bike.
  11. ThumperX

Oddometer:
    One of my ALL TIME favorite bikes!!! My 2000 ATK 605 DS. We've travelled all over the sSierras and Baja together. My friend in the picture is 5'10" for comparison lol My friend Tammy once told me "G, it doesn't matter if you can touch the ground as long as your feet are firmly planted on the pegs" The most important skill to develop as a shorter rider is balance.

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard, Huck369 and Malamute like this.
  12. ThumperX

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    PlowHand and Huck369 like this.
  13. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they have gotten more expensive, though some people are putting later motors and drivelines in aftermarket hardtail frames or custom swing arm frames. The basic FX bikes, the stripped down version of the full dresser FLHs can still be pretty workable for shorter people with the right seat. You gain rear suspension and add perhaps 2 1/2-3" of seat height over what a hardtail could do with a narrow custom frame mounted seat like a LePera or similar. The FLHs have the same basic chassis and can be as low, but all the heavy stuff they attach to them doesnt interest me, nor the chunky front ends, big fenders, and crash guards and such. Stripped down, with lighter fenders and front end they end up being identical to the FX though.

Hard to believe the super glide/FX in front and the FLH type behind it are the same basic chassis. I poached the pic from the internet. Its a very nice super glide. Very clean and simple. Probably about 24 1/2 inch seat height.

76 FXE 2.jpeg

Edit: 1-11-19 Talked to a friend about bikes, she had a sportster for a while, but she felt it was too tall, high center of gravity and tippy feeling, she never felt secure riding it. She traded into the 77 Low Rider (the stripped down version of the full dresser) and instantly felt better. Despite the slighter greater weight, she felt much more secure handling it, it was easier to stand up off the side stand, and overall easier to ride.
    ThumperX likes this.
  14. XL500R

XL500R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great video posted on YouTube by Jennies Garage. The plans are to convert it to a dual sport.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    PlowHand and Huck369 like this.
  15. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey! My name is Natalee and I am 5' 0" with a 28.5" inseam. I just began riding in Sept. of 2018. We mostly dual sport. My hubby has a RE Himilayan that he let me drive a while back & here my thoughts on his bike:

PROS:
    Super comfy seat
    No lowering or seat adjustments necessary
    It has a center stand
    I can get the ball of one foot on the ground with a stock bike

CONS:
    Steering seems sluggish to me (Mind you I have only the Honda CRF250L that I drive to complare it to)
    would need shorter shifter
    It weighs in at over 400 pounds (compared to the 320ish of my Honda) - but it's Center of gravity is lower, too
    Parts are not as easy to find on a trip than my Honda

Bottom line, if I were shopping for a new bike today, I would certainly consider this bike.

Attached Files:

16. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    If you like the CRF250L, you will love the Yamaha XT250.
    Huck369, Pepperlady and dkayw like this.
  17. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Granted, I am shorter than your wife at 5'0" with a 28.5" inseam, but I learned on a Honda CRF250L. It weighs in at about 320 pounds, and it is liquid cooled. That works nicely for me when we are doing a long stretch of highway between trails. Mine has great suspension and lowering it was really easy with a Kubalink. I also got the seat concepts low seat, but if I had that to do over, I might skip the lowered seat. The seat concepts low seat for that bike has a textured cover & it makes sliding across the seat to get a foot down slower. I like the texture of the original seat cover better. Also, it is only shaved at the top of the seat, so the seat is wider. That is really not helpful when it makes the seat wider, thus farther to slide across to get your foot down, and you have to scoot over farther to get your leg at the same downward angle to hold the bike well that I was used to with the regular seat. For a while when I first got it, I had several instances where my leg was just too far from the bike when I stopped and it knocked me over :(

Hope it helps & happy riding!
    Huck369 likes this.
  18. dkayw

dkayw girlonbike

Oddometer:
    I just got a Yamaha XT250 and love it! It's low seat height ( I'm 5'4 ), lightweight and really nimble. I decided to get something smaller that I could take in tighter places after my F650 GS was stolen and I'm really happy with the XT!

Although I'll probably also get another GS down the road for longer trips.
    Pepperlady likes this.
  19. Pepperlady

Pepperlady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sat on one a couple of weeks ago and I do like the way it feels. Although, since I am used to the 3.1 L tank, it felt skinny!

But, I'm not in the market for a new bike, yet.:D
  20. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer: