The Shortypants Thread: We are short women and this is what we ride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Region Riley, Mar 18, 2011.

1. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get on the Wilburs catalog and see if they have shocks and springs. It won’t be cheap.
  2. steadfast

steadfast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking along the lines of kouba link and slide the forks. To go along the lines of wilbers I may end up looking for an xt225 instead.
  3. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a DRZ, I'm about 5'3" I used a lowering link and raised the forks. I'm sure there are links for the DR. The DR is supposed to be a good bike.
  4. Huck369

Huck369 Huckster

Oddometer:
    I've got a friend, that has her 2000 XT225 for sale, not sure where you're at, but I think she is just asking $1200 for it, it's in good shape, and low miles, I think she's misplaced the battery side cover, otherwise, all stock and there.
    (it's actually at my place, as she's having me install a new float valve, as it's been sticking on her)
  5. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    The "94 and later e-start Dr350se is a good bike. I had the #3 kouba link on mine but they didn't lower it any.... better geometry (?). Bike has good power and a great wide ratio transmission. Mine was 305 lbs ready to ride. "98 and "99 were the best models. I think you can get it low enough (fork and shock mods) but if she is new to riding something lighter might be more fun.
  7. *Cooper*

*Cooper* n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone. I just finished reading this incredible 84 page epic! I signed up to the forum today after hanging around for some time. I have been riding street for awhile and have always wanted to get myself a dual sport to be able to do some off road. It looks like this is the year. I had the extensive list of dual sports that would allow me to get my feet reasonably on the ground, but this thread has really helped me understand the pros and cons of a lot of those bikes. I am not terribly short for a woman at 5.5" with a 31" inseam in sock feet, and I'm realizing just how lucky I am to have inherited my Dad's long legs!

I currently ride a 2016 KTM 390 Duke that fits me with ease, and my partner has a DRZ 400 with sm tires that I ride on rare occasion on my very tip toes. This isn't a problem on the street but would be a problem trying to learn dirt. I am going to take a look at a 2003 XT225 this weekend and will pick it up if it is in reasonably good shape. Wish me luck! Thanks to everyone who added info and insight to this amazingly useful thread!
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Welcome to ADV and all the fun ahead. Be sure to pop in occasionally and let us know how you are doing with the dirt.
    Elle2Konsai likes this.
  9. *Cooper*

*Cooper* n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much Ladybug! I'll be sure to update with my findings ;) I also recently read all about your Itty-Bitty Bike Tour from 2008. Gotta have some motorcycle related entertainment while buried under ice and snow!
    Ladybug likes this.
  10. *Cooper*

*Cooper* n00b

Oddometer:
    So I grabbed the XT today! It looks like it's in great shape for a 2003 and I'm happy to have it. We still have a good few weeks of winter left here in NB (...like 8...) but I'll be sure to update once I get out on the road and in the dirt.

Send warming vibes my way ;)
    _anatic, mspgirl, wildknits and 4 others like this.
  11. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Hello from the warmer end of the country. I am a short old guy (5 foot six). The XT250 (gotta have fuel injection for the mountains) is on my Top Ten list for when I win the lottery.

The 390 Duke is also on my list. Even though I rode one of the first ones and the electrics got fried on a demo ride.

I was supposed to have been born in PEI but a church had other ideas. I want to go to that area of Canada if I win the lottery. I have no money because I SPENT it all on motorcycles and the rest I wasted.
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  12. *Cooper*

*Cooper* n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,

Yes, I read about your KTM demo ride and and the weird electrical experience! I wonder if that was just an anomaly or if it was a problem for a lot of people? I don't recall hearing about it being an issue, but my system has been alright so I guess no excuse to go looking.

PEI is such a magical little province! I hope you win the lottery very soon and make it to the Maritimes before you waste it all on motorcycles! :lol3
  13. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Anomaly, very early production model.
    *Cooper* likes this.
  14. nccowgirl

nccowgirl something shiny Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was wondering which winter riding pants you all like. Most of the ones seems to be very long unless you get the tiny sizes. I am a size 8. I like the Klim’s but the 6 is too small and 8 too baggy. Your opinions? Thanks
  15. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Short guy here, I wear my Olympia pants with 3 pair of long underwear.

First snow of the season on the local mountains.

If 3 pair don't work then I am in danger of frostbite. Don't forget the feet. Take the truck.

Yes that is snow behind my scooter in the avatar.

Baggy is good, insulating air. All of my pants are too long. Riding a motorcycle is not a fashion show.

But I am an old guy and I don't care what I look like. Stay warm.
    Huck369 likes this.
  16. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll jump in since my wife struggled with this too. Her solution was to jump into heated gear. Instead of layering up or wearing bulky pants, she just wears Gerbings liners under her normal pants. Less bulk, always warmer, and much more comfortable.
  17. nccowgirl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.
  18. nccowgirl

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your input, it is about warmth. I am a ATTGATT person so just trying to limit the bulk.
  19. Foreststranger

Foreststranger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My daughter -- Super G -- is 16 and has been riding for the past 4 years. She is 5 foot with a 26 inseam. She started on a TTR90 about 5 years ago, then moved up to a XR80. We sold that and she moved up to this Honda TLR200 which is plated! It runs great but is a bugger for her to kick over compared to my TW200 and her XR80. So we are selling that and cross shopping a TW or XT or plating a new KLX 140 or big wheel TTR125.
    This thread has given us a ton of great information. Thank you to all who contributed!
    IMG_20200627_161720.jpg
    wildknits, nvklr, sion and 4 others like this.
  20. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer: