The sidecar car thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Doonie, May 2, 2018.

1. SidecarLeigh

SidecarLeigh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden plenty of sand in the past, have had no great problems, will be interesting to see how my KLR 650/sidecar unit goes (it's progressing slowly) I think some guys over-think it??? Time will tell
    WILL_S, 3legs and TouringDave like this.
  2. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to agree, even though I have only used the winch a few times.
    Once ,by running the cable under the sidecar .To pull in reverse.
    The remote control is very handy.
    20210726_131720.jpg
    nevgriff64, WILL_S and tripodtiger like this.
  3. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the dollars don't scare you, the new Ural is available with 2WD on demand

Have to be a good thing in a pinch

Dakar Dan, chicky, TheBigMuff and 2 others like this.
  4. Farmer Roy

Farmer Roy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want one

but the dollars do scare me . . .
    Ducksbane, numbat and pops like this.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crazy dollars really ...
  6. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:

Gawd, he’s got fat ! !
  7. TenereMark

TenereMark Where are we????????

Oddometer:
    There was one for sale at Paynes Find(A one horse community in WA) a while back. Don't know why it was abandoned there. Looked OK and well set up in the photos.
  8. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    He'd be the only one.
    LeglessOne likes this.
  9. stormsearcher

stormsearcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently the 2wd sucks in sand but great in slush
  10. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    2wd only gets you into further trouble. They are not the be all and end all as some people make them out to be. Check the guys in the USA that have them. They say that all the time.

Plus it's just more things to go wrong. I know, I know I'm an old fart and what would I know but I've managed to punt my K1100 outfit through sand many times without the need to use my winch ( ok once I did ).

Speed my son, speed will get you through sand most times unless your name is Pops who deliberately looks for sand just so he can see how far he can go before he gets bogged or put it on it's side :lol3:lol3:lol3

Hi Ian :wave

I reckon a KLR650 with a very lightweight sidecar would be excellent for sand and outback dirt roads but the big problem is the getting to those roads via the bitumen. I couldn't handle sitting on 100kph hour after hour.

That's why I have the K1100 outfit . Solves that problem :D
    tripodtiger and pops like this.
  11. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    That slow, huh?
  12. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
    pops likes this.
  13. Eaglebeak

Oddometer:
    And yet, punt any sidecar regularly over 100kph and watch your fuel disappear.
    9-10kms per litre is what most outfits get.

Mine was great fun for awhile, fantastic for power sliding around right hand gravel corners but once I no longer needed it for the kid, I got rid of it. (GSX 1400 outfit.)
    I could not/would not, justify that level of consumption.

Solos get me to all the places my skill level can accept and if I really need to carry a barbecue, camp bed, three cartons of beer, 12 volt fridge, frozen chickens, vegetables, etc, etc, my Subaru Forester will do the job, and be cheaper on overall running costs.

But, to those that have ‘em and still love ‘em, more power to you !
    I still like seeing them around, cool looking things.
    pops likes this.
  14. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:

You're pretty much on the ball mate. 11kms /ltr was about the best I saw with the 14 on the Kimberley trip and that was on a good day. Most of the time it was about 10.
    But the mate on the GSA was getting the same figures most of the time so it wasn't an issue. If you choose an outfit to do a trip like that you just have to accept it.

The forester is turning into a great alternative. Enjoying it a lot:-)
    nevgriff64, moffit virtue and pops like this.
  15. duc104

duc104 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys obviously use your right wrist far too much for other activities & have very strong wrist muscles. Fully loaded, (barbecue, camp bed, three cartons of beer, 12 volt fridge, frozen chickens, vegetables, etc, etc,) 1400 chair travels 320km per tank, 24lt. Save you the mental agony, equals 13.33km/lt or if you prefer, as I do, 7.5 ltr/100km. This figure is easily repeated time and time again. Yes, over 110km/hr the economy drop significantly as happens on a fully loaded GSA or Africa Twin. The ability to light the rear wheel on gravel at any time, in any gear, at any speed under 80km/hr is addictive. The roast chicken & cold beer at the end of the day is a bonus
    Barbara Kay, 3legs, pops and 3 others like this.
  16. Eaglebeak

Oddometer:
    The best my 1400 with chair ever got was 13.5kms per litre, on the Nullarbor with a slight tailwind and sitting on about 90 kph.
    But if I wanted to sit on 110 kph in all conditions and have any chance of keeping up with my solo riding friends, it dropped to 10kms/litre or less. And I did NOT carry a lot of stuff. Certainly no fridge, just a very small eski with food and I don’t drink beer, just Scotch.
    It was stock air intake, stock muffler but I ran a car tyre on the rear (stock Suzuki) rim same profile but 205mm instead of 190 which from memory was the stock rear width (?)

Sitting on 90 kph on a long tar sections ?
    I can’t do that.

Mine, front left, on the way to Waanarring.

15EFAF63-A006-4F29-8435-9F8D6374EF9F.jpeg
    nevgriff64, Nudie, Diggar and 3 others like this.
  17. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My sidecar uses more fuel than my Isuzu D Max, it now spends most of it’s life sitting in the garage, moving several vehicles to get it out to use it as a commuter is rediculous.

It will shortly be on the market as the fourby and caravan has become my favourite camping method. I have gone back to shooting so the swag, awning and stretcher get used a lot.
    OzCRU, Barbara Kay and pops like this.
  18. Rockman

Rockman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best I got from my 1150GS rig was 16.2 km/l and the worst 14.9 travelling at semi-legal speeds. Usually mid 15's. 850 rear diff and car tyre on a 1200C rear wheel. But, as Bully points out they take up a lot of space and juggling other vehicles to get a sidecar out of the shed wears thin so it got moved on.
    pops likes this.
  19. TenereMark

TenereMark Where are we????????

Oddometer:
    Average around 13km/l on the Blackbird. Cruise 110, pass trucks about 130. Smooth dirt 90-100. With passenger and all our camp gear.
    pops likes this.
  20. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    More map research required. Why ride 100 boring km when you can make it 150 interesting km?

I keep seeing the farm machinery tracks along the sides of roads and often wonder how many km I could do along those. There is a risk, one of my recent rides along a railway line had me miss a sleeper, laying in the grass, by a couple of centimeters. I was basically past it as I saw it. And you can always be cruising along, ride across a farm entry track and find the machinery track is gone. That's exciting too.

My Tiger 900 gets around the same as my XS11 did. About 10km/l on the highway. Better on gravel roads as it's not on the main jets as often.
    pops likes this.