The Sidehack Adventures of Rad 'n Doc...USA then the World

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    We stayed in Key West another night so we could see what else Key West had to offer the next day.

Went to Ernest Hemingway's house, but we skipped the tour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have ridden the entire length of Highway 1 on the west coast in California....on this trip, we rode much of the east coast Highway 1. Here is where it ends in Key West.

[​IMG]

Went to check out some local watering holes and had a great time !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These roosters and chickens are famous in Key West....they rule the streets, wandering all over town, the bars and restaurants....pretty cool ! I had to keep Doc away from them, because he was thinking...."hmmm, chicken for dinner".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting people....that guy with the hat could pass for Ernest Hemingway....LOL.

[​IMG]

Lots of good music and bands playing.

[​IMG]

Doc also enjoyed socializing and meeting people and other dogs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After another fabulous day in Key West, it was time to visit the famous Mallory Square and watch the sunset from the docks. Lots of people gathered around there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just sittin' on the dock of the bay....

[​IMG]

Snoozing on the dock during sunset, after a busy, fun day.

[​IMG]

Next morning it was time to leave Key West....this is the view from the Ibis Bay Beach Resort where we stayed. Really nice staff at this place, reasonable price and great place to stay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We really loved our time in Key West. This place has a great relaxed, laid back vibe, friendly people, nice beaches. I've heard people sometimes go there and get sucked in and never end up leaving....I could see that happening, it's a very cool place !

After breakfast, we headed back up the Highway 1 bridges across the Keys, back to mainland Florida. Next stop would be the Everglades....it was getting later in the afternoon and wanted to spend time in the Everglades, so decided to go there the next day so we could enjoy the entire day there.

Doc passed out after another fantastic day of sidecar travel.

[​IMG]
  2. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Was really looking forward to riding to the end of the road in the Everglades.

On the way down, we went over a high pass....

[​IMG]

Then we went over an even higher mountain pass....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We went to explore some Tree Islands, called "Hammocks".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of the road in the Everglades....the Everglades continue south for many miles, but past this point you have to travel by boat, Airboat, canoe, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoying the cooler grass.

[​IMG]

After a nice relaxing break by the water, we turned around to head north again. Had to stop at a Marina to see if we could see any Gators out in the channels.....Oh Yeah, Baby !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Ranger named Timothy Taylor came walking up to the people watching the Gators and Crocs...he proceeded to give a talk on the wildlife and mainly crocodiles and alligators....."Croc Talk". He was a very cool guy and I learned a lot from him. Asked him since we were on the motorcycle, if we see any gators along the road, should we worry. He said no, just don't approach them and don't go in the water. He said on land, they pretty much don't attack anything bigger than them, and they avoid confrontation on land.

[​IMG]

He showed us the difference between alligators and crocodiles with these skulls and described their different habitats.

Do you know which skull is which ?

The one on the right is an Alligator and the one on left is a Crocodile.

[​IMG]

Snout shape: Alligators have wider, U-shaped snouts, while crocodile front ends are more pointed and V-shaped. Toothy grin: When their snouts are shut, crocodiles look like they're flashing a toothy grin, as the fourth tooth on each side of the lower jaw sticks up over the upper lip.

Also, Crocodiles tend to stay more in the salt water habitats, and Alligators more in the fresh water marshes and lakes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately all these photos of the Crocs came out blurry, but the Ranger said some of them were 12 and 14 foot long....big ones !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We saw some people who were working on some weather equipment....they saw us pull up and of course they wanted to meet Doc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There weren't many cars or people down here so it was really nice. We did see one other motorcyclist...we waved to each other, but i wanted to meet him, so turned around and he pulled over to meet us also. He had a big grin when he saw Doc in the sidecar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a great, relaxing, peaceful day....just enjoyed riding through the Everglades and taking our time all day.....tomorrow, we would head to "Alligator Alley".
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Shunka like this.
  3. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    We had heard of "Alligator Alley", a road that goes through the Great Cypress Swamp in South Florida, the Loop Road off of Highway 41. There are supposed to be a lot of Gators often sunning themselves along this road....well let me tell you, we were not disappointed.

There were signs that said the road was flooded...but we decided to go ahead anyway. There ended up being about 4 to 6 inches of water across many parts of the road.....not a problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Great Cypress Swamp was teaming with Wildlife...we saw lots of birds...and Gators !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc spots a Gator...and starts barking at it as we're cruising along....he wanted to git the gators !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was one of the larger ones....my guess at least 10 feet long or more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was really cool riding past these guys about 20 feet away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc on patrol, checking for gators and wildlife.

Doc and I were never in any danger...the gators would quickly dart into the water when they saw us, and when I let Doc out, I first made sure there were no gators close by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, that was one hell of an awesome little ride through the swamps.

Here are some videos...riding through the swamp, and Gators !

That was an intense feeling, being so close to these wild Gators.

It was time to go get gas, and start to head north. We met this nice couple who work in the Refuge, we chatted for awhile.

[​IMG]

To be continued...
  4. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Twenty years ago I canoed through the Everglades with 5 other guys. What an experience that was. Those damn gators give me the willies. Crocodile, even worse. I saw some of those in Costa Rica. Scary critters for sure.
    Elefant 900 Rad likes this.
  5. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    It was time to head north towards Holopaw, Florida....to check out the Holopaw Ural Rally that my friend Stan Mcghee invited us to....we made a stop along the way for a short break at the Kissimmee State Reserve. I saw a sign for this and decided to take a few mile detour off the main road to check it out. I love finding places like this....a dry prairie ecosystem sanctuary...one of the largest dry prairies of this type in the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a nice break, we continued north and all of a sudden I felt a thumping coming from the rear end of the bike....I quickly pulled over onto the shoulder. Once I stopped, I felt the rear differential and it was very hot....I figured the custom rear differential for the 2 wheel drive system failed. I called Triple A and luckily, after awhile a flatbed tow truck showed up to pick us up. Many cars and motorcycles went by for over an hour, and only ONE local stopped to see if we needed any help. I was surprised to see so many bikers ride by and not one of them stopped.

The flatbed truck loaded us up and took us about 70 miles north to Holopaw, where the Ural Rally took place.

The tow truck driver John Applebee was really cool and we had a great conversation during the drive, we instantly became friends.

[​IMG]

John Applebee getting ready to winch the bike onto the flatbed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got to Holopaw Ural, one of the first Ural Dealers in the USA....

[​IMG]

Unloading the bike....

[​IMG]

Saying goodbye to John Applebee, the tow truck driver...we still stay in touch nowadays on Facebook.

[​IMG]

It was time to pitch my tent in the big field in the back behind the Ural Shop, where everyone was camping for the Ural Rally.

[​IMG]

Most people were out riding for the day, so we waited in anticipation for them to get back, to meet some new people and meet our friends Stan and Heidi Mcghee, who we knew only from Facebook.

More to come....
  6. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to see you posting again Randy!! Great update, will be following along for sure!! Cheers to you and Doc!
  7. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, it is official I am concerned ? What has happened to you, even Ducati never mind Ural take this long to get spare parts, are you both OK ? Anyone know what is the situation.
    Snapper33 and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  8. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Same here, wondering where you are Rad n Doc. Hope all is well.
  9. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take is no update, does anyone know this guy other than the site. I would like to know if he is OK, seems odd to just leave everyone hanging, if he had had enough is one thing but not to say he was going home for a rest seems unlikely ? Maybe not I don't know but I would like to. Maybe someone local could call this Ural place if you know of it ?
  10. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Last activity on his site by "KTMrad" was "5 hours ago". Assuming it's the same person.
  11. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, I never thought that one out, I will go look. In that case I was worried for nothing the asshole.
  12. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats not this guy, this guy has not been active since April 7 according to this site and the forum site this guy is Elefant 900 Rad
  13. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
  14. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, thank you for clearing that up, odd behavior don't you think. I know this is wrong to say but what the hell, I would not have him pegged as a one time KTM rider as the tag would suggest, too old and a bit on the portly side much more BMW. .
  15. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Hey All, sorry for not posting any updates, my bad....thanks for the concern. For some reason, I don't get notifications when someone responds to my posts
    Brief summary of what happened....January of 2018 we were in Tombstone AZ, preparing to head to Mexico and continue to South America.
    While in Tombstone, I went off-roading with some friends. We did some fairly gnarly jeep trails near Sonoita and I ended up frying the Touratech ceramic clutch. I realized I was not happy with my original build, it didn't have enough ground clearance. So I made a decision to truck the rig to Pennsylvania to have it modified by Freedom Sidecars. I knew that would take awhile, so after dropping it off in PA, I went to work for a company I used to work for on Eastern Long Island 26 years ago. I was there 5 months, the rig would not be ready for awhile and in the meantime had a better job offer back home in San Diego at another company I worked for 13 years ago, so we drove our car back to San Diego while the rig modifications were completed later. Finally got the rig back in May of 2019.

The plan was to work thru December of 2019 and then get back on the road in January 2020.

Well, recently another wrench was thrown in the works...my traveling buddy Doc Holliday just tore his CCL (knee ligament) and had surgery. He will require at least 4 months of quality rehab to be back to normal, so our departure is delayed once again.

So, we will continue our trip sometime in 2020, just not sure when we'll leave.
    Foiler, bobw, Dan Diego and 3 others like this.
  16. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    A one time KTM rider ?
    Much more like a BMW rider ?
    Ha !

Search for some of my previous trip reports here...yeah, I have ridden 40,000 + miles on a 950 Adventure in the past and had a KTM 640 LC4 for 16 years.
    shuswap1, bobw and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  17. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    You fried a ceramic clutch? Wow. Have you ever weighed the rig with you and Doc and all your gear?
  18. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Much more like a BMW rider ?

Yes but regardless of coincidence or not it appears to have gotten a reaction, we now know you are still breathing. I am therefor vindicated. Good to know you are still around and sorry to hear about the dog, hope he recovers 100%.
  19. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Thanks,,, I really do appreciate your concern and that someone actually cared enough to say something. ...thank you !
  20. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You my friend are a master at these posts, looking forward to you restarting the journey again, all the best until then.