The Sidehack Adventures of Rad 'n Doc...USA then the World

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Rad n Doc, great to know that you are still around. I’ll be watching for this thread to resume in 2020. Ride well. Be well.
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Ok Rad hers's a bit of unsolicited good advice. What gearing was in the custom 2 wd final drive ? If it wasn't 37/11 from an r 850 it was too high, the 1150gs's have an unusually high low gear and a overdrive 6th anyone using one of them gears way down. The R1100/50 and 850 all use the same crank and rods the engine can stand to spin a bit faster.
    You have a fine old tug but the r1150's are 80-82 hp tops you probably have a 16-1700 pound load give it a break. Good luck.

PS: Beware of sidecar salesman builders they always give you self serving advice. Those old final drives have used the same bearing as they did in 85 adding another wheel for it to drive is going to seriously challenge it's survival.:fpalm
    DRONE likes this.
  3. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I never posted the last few weeks of our travels in 2018 yet (I will do soon, I promise), many of you know we had some setbacks with more mods to the sidecar rig to get it right and I decided to postpone the trip and continue working to recoup some of my losses. Then, Doc had to have knee surgery to repair his torn CCL which was another unexpected expense and 6 months of rehab, so we delayed our departure another year.

Plan was and still is to move forward with our trip January of 2021 to continue to Mexico and South America.

Well, we just had another major setback, I almost lost Doc due to Spontaneous Pneumothorax, where his lungs had 2 "bulla" pop on his lung lobes and air leaked into his chest cavity and luckily I got him to emergency surgery with only a few minutes left to spare, he almost died on the way to VCA Animal Hospital in Kearny Mesa where they saved his life. We're still planning on leaving in January of 2021...here is what happened, and a couple of photos from the hospital where he is recovering from this life threatening incident...he is doing well and I hope to have him home tomorrow or Sunday....

Doc Holliday Update evening of 4/2 ...he continues on his way to recovery, all is well, the hospital staff all love him, I'm sure he is getting plenty of love.

4/2 UPDATE:
    Just talked to his surgeon, she’s happy with how Doc is doing, no air leakage today, he still has tubes in his chest to relieve air just in case, she hopes to take one of them out today, if all goes well she’ll take the other out tomorrow.
    He’s already walked outside to go pee, and she said he’s resting comfortably…and everyone loves him there.
    She’s going to reduce his pain meds a bit and try to get him to eat today.
    He’ll probably be there a minimum of 2 more nights, once they take the second tube out they have to monitor him to make sure he does well after that and has no more air leakage.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/1 UPDATE: Doc is out of surgery and surgeon found 2 "bulla" on his lung and had to remove them and staple the holes shut. His chest cavity pressure is now negative which means no more leakage from his lungs. Barring any further complications, prognosis is good, but next couple days are crucial.

I originally thought he was getting stomach bloat, which can also be deadly and has similar symptoms.

Please Google "Bulla in dog's lungs", and "Spontaneous Pneumothorax" and read the symptoms and possible causes and be aware, it might just save your pet's life (applies to cats too)...time is of the essence in diagnosis and treatment...it could even be caused by Grass awn migration and or foxtails...surgeon did not see that, biopsy MIGHT explain possible cause, but then again it sometimes just happens.
    Doc is gonna pull through this, everybody loves Doc.
    ‐‐----------------------------------------
    Original Post:
    Please send some positive energy, vibes, prayers, whatever it is you like to do...for Doc, he is in critical condition right now at the emergency vet, his lungs are leaking air into his chest cavity, they don't know why yet.
    He is currently stabilized, got him here just in time...more testing needed to find out what's wrong.
    UPDATE:
    CT scan done, they think he had a lung lobe pop which then causes the lung to leak, they can't see it in scan, so they have to open up his chest, pry open his ribs to try to find the leak, then remove piece of lung...hopefully they can find leak.

He's in surgery now, he's not out of the woods yet.

I almost lost him in the car ride from one vet to emergency, that was horrible seeing him like that, I kept telling him to hang on and he'd be getting help soon....got there in the nick of time to save him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. River Rat

River Rat Greybeard Supporter

Oddometer:
    hope all goes well with Doc, never good when the fur babies are in trouble!!!
    Snapper33 and Elefant 900 Rad like this.
  5. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Fantastic ride report and photographs of extraordinary places.
    And glad to hear that your bike and dog are on the mend.
    Unfortunately, I can't stop my self from asking why, in heaven's name are you riding around on that rig? With all the junk you have on it, it must weigh upwards of 1,600 lbs. loaded up. That's about the same weight as a small sports car.
    Why not get a used convertible, and just leave the top down all the time so that you can get rained on?
    A nice MGA comes to mind, or a Morgan Plus 4!
    [​IMG]
  6. Lucky Explorer

Lucky Explorer Traveled the world

Oddometer:
    Randy
    Good going on Doc, great to hear! If you need a Morgan call! LOL
    Allen
  7. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
  8. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    If I wanted to travel by car, I wouldn't be on ADv Rider !
  9. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Well, then how about the three-wheeled Morgan? It's considered a motorcycle in the states!:-)
    Your rig has three wheels, right? This rig even has an S&S motorcycle engine in it.
    [​IMG]
    roadcapDen likes this.
  10. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    It's not about what anyone else thinks...it's about what I want to ride and how I want to do my trip...it's as simple as that.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  11. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! And it's clear from your posts that you love traveling with your rig and dog. I'm totally jealous, especially right now, cooped up in New Jersey in my house, dodging the COVID-19 bullet. What a time. Thanks for the "escape" vicariously through your adventure.
    I love leaning my bike, but when my knees finally go "by by", I'll probably get a trike or sidecar rig as well.
    I still remember this fellow out at Sturgis running the curves with his rig up in the air on the left-hand turns. Amazing!
  12. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roll on Jan 2021, lets see the old guy and a the Frankenstein dog (After all the stitched) back on the road. It promises to to be one hell of a sorry and a great read. If he ever get to Thailand I know where they are both welcome. Also looking forward to the upgraded bike setup. Keep us posted.
  13. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Things are happening, preparing for launch to get back on the road in the next few months.
    Mexico and South America is next.
    I'll post a departure date as soon as we are ready to leave San Diego.
    steved57, Zubb, simmons1 and 4 others like this.
  14. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Let me be the first to say Woo-Hoo! I’m so glad to hear this news. Be well, travel well.
    Elefant 900 Rad likes this.
  15. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bring it.....met you at desert dash years ago....we drank a few IPA's!!
    Elefant 900 Rad likes this.
  16. Elefant 900 Rad

Oddometer:
    Last day of work - done !
    30 day notice to roommates- done.
    30 day notice to landlord- done.
    30 day notice to Doc Holliday - he says "let's roll" !
    EnterReturn, Animo, Steve H. and 10 others like this.