The Sidehack Adventures of Rad 'n Doc...USA then the World

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Elefant 900 Rad, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Towards the end of February, it was time for our annual AMA Sanctioned Dualsport Ride put on by San Diego Adventure Riders. Since i was in town, I wanted to help my club organize the 14th Annual Anza Borrego Desert Dash. I started putting on this ride 14 years ago when our club was just starting out.

Here's our Friday night Taco King, Tracy ( Cosmo ) cooking up dinner for the volunteer crew, with the help of Deb ( DS Fox ).

[​IMG]

John ( Carguy ) with his pups.

[​IMG]

Action shots of riders out there on the ride....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guy on a little TW200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc on the lookout for riders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This rider on the GS1200 had some trouble in the sandy and rocky sections....but he made it through and was not complaining !

[​IMG]

Mike in the SDAR Support Vehicle....we always have at least a couple support trucks out on the ride, stocked with Gatorade and water to offer the riders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The February weather in the desert can range from warm to hot, or cold, wet, sometimes we've even had snow on the ride. This year it was warm...here, Doc is takin' a break in the shade.

[​IMG]

Butterfield Ranch RV Resort, where the ride starts and finishes. Our event is the biggest and brings them the most business in one weekend, every year. We like supporting local businesses !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the clubhouse for Saturday night dinner and raffle. The local shops in San Diego always donate lots of merchandise to raffle away for the riders on Saturday night after dinner.

[​IMG]

Scotty and Diedre Ricks have been doing an awesome job with the catering for the last few years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunday, out checking on the riders making sure everyone is OK and having a good time....

[​IMG]

It was another successful Desert Dash event.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and joenuclear like this.
  2. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    It was time to take Doc for his Therapy Dog test with Therapy Dogs International. I found a testing date not far from San Diego and figured he'd probably pass his test. We arrived at the animal shelter where they were holding the test.

The evaluators who put on the test and did the dog evaluations....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A big part of the test is if the dogs can handle socialization with other dogs well....I knew Doc would pass that part of the test with flying colors !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the other dogs at the test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc obeying commands.... "Sit" !

[​IMG]

Every dog that day passed their Canine Good Citizen and Therapy Dogs International test.

On the way home, Doc listening to me tell him I was proud of him passing his test.

[​IMG]

A few weeks later, Doc got his official paperwork in the mail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc will be following in the footsteps of my previous Therapy Dog, Cody the Codemeister.

[​IMG]

Our plan is to visit nursing homes, kid's homes, hospitals....anywhere Therapy Dog visits can be beneficial to people who love animals. The purpose of a Therapy Dog / Therapy Animal is to share their love with humans.

[​IMG]
  3. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey doc.....i met cody a few years back at your SDAR event at Butterfield.....just a great dog......had Clayton my golden for 13 years...best dog eva......Doc is a keeper also.....good luck to you and doc on your ADVENTURE!!
    Elefant 900 Rad likes this.
  4. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    A guy I've been communicating on Facebook with, Brad who rides his ass off all over the country, was rolling into San Diego from Delaware on his Harley, nicknamed the Mile Eater. His wife Lina flew in to meet him. We went out for fish tacos to my favorite place in Ocean Beach. In the last pic, his wife is waving goodbye....that was the first and last time she would wave to me, sadly she recently passed away unexpectedly. I am glad I got to meet her this one time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goodbye Lina, Godspeed....

[​IMG]
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Dan Diego like this.
  5. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Another night down in Ocean Beach, Doc had quite an audience as he was doing his tricks at the pizza joint....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend Tianne is the one who got Doc to start taking food from her lips....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc is always making people smile wherever we go !

[​IMG]
  6. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    BMW Airheads Tech Day in North County, San Diego. Always a fun time with my Airhead friends, many I've known for about 25 years....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend John is always helping people work on their bikes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next day, we got our new Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT tent, so it was time to set it up for the first time in the yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  7. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Few weeks later, it was time for yearly Tech Day at Stoner's house.

[​IMG]

A home made BMW Scrambler !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The man of the hour, Larry "Stoner" Stonestreet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rain didn't deter some riders from showing up, even from a couple hours away....cars ? We don't need no stinkin' cars !

[​IMG]

I was staying for a couple months with Stoner at his house, so I offered to help him out with the day and I manned the Brats on the grille.

[​IMG]

Doc waitin' for some Brats !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If all else fails, read the manual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fork rebuild !

[​IMG]

Doc tuckered out after a busy day with the Airheads Beemer Club.

[​IMG]

A Lone Wolf left after Tech Day....OH NO, it's an Oilhead !!

[​IMG]
  8. jettech01

jettech01 Why be cleaning when you should be leaning.

Oddometer:
    Just read your RR from front to back and have enjoyed very much. If you are traveling thru Houston Tx on your way south, you and Doc have a place to crash for a few days
    and work on scoot (if needed) and relax.....Have a safe and happy journey.
    Randy
    (go figure...:-) )
  9. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks ! We are going to Houston, I lived there for 5 years during college, so will definitely get together ! Probably be around end of November, beginning of December.
  10. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    (Time to start catching up on this trip report)......

Before leaving San Diego, I got in touch with the SD Chapter of Therapy Dogs International. They did not have a picnic / get together in awhile, so I told them we were leaving and I had a new Therapy Dog. So, we organized a little picnic in Santee for the local chapter....these are all Certified Therapy Dogs who's job is to visit people in need at nursing homes, hospitals, children's homes, hospice, etc., and share their love....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Some time in June of 2017, Arnie Fry (Afry) and his wife Christy invited me to his Real Estate Office, San Vicente Realty, for Cruise Night in Ramona. We had a blast, there were a bunch of locals at Arnie's place on main street and we got to watch the show as bikes and cars drove by during cruise night. There was lots of great food too. The dinosaur build in the photos, was made by a local just for fun...pretty cool !

I'm so glad I went to see Arnie this time....because I'm very sad to say, Afry passed away a couple months later from a heart attack while he was flat track racing. The smile on his face here exemplifies his personality....all the pictures I've seen of him, he has this big sh$# eating grin....he loved life and enjoyed it everyday to the fullest !

RIP Arnie Fry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Since I was leaving San Diego for good, I wanted to see my old roomate Kato (from SDAR) and his lovely daughters, who met Doc when I first adopted him, and hung out with him everytime they stayed at our house. So we met in Ocean Beach at Dog Beach, then went out for pizza.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sophie letting Doc take some chicken right from her lips....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Double high fives for Sophie...

[​IMG]

Doc with Sophie and Mimi....

[​IMG]

My buddy Kato with his girls...

[​IMG]

Sophie, Mimi and I....

[​IMG]
  13. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Time for a little catch up....Summer 2017.

Since the guy doing the 2 wheel drive mods on our rig was not done and I wanted to go to the BMW MOA Rally in Salt Lake, we drove up in the rental car...a bonsai run with only a couple short naps on the way. We got there and pitched our tent with the Airheads Beemer Club, many of my friends were there.

During the weekend, we attended some classes, seminars and presentations. Here's my friend Randy Owens, doing a presentation on traveling with a sidecar.

[​IMG]

Another sidecar rig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were over 4,000 attendees at the rally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another sidehack for a dog....

[​IMG]

Airhead Central.

[​IMG]

My friends Gene and Chaco the Canyon Commander showed up also....Chaco and Doc are best buds from Tombstone....they recognized each other right away and were happy to see each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Late night party central at the Airheads tent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc tuckered out after a long, hot day....it was too damn hot in our tent, so I slept outside on the couch under the Airheads canopy and Doc slept in the grass.

[​IMG]

Doc was a rock star at the rally...here, he's posing with the Touratech folks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend Phil, owner of Motoquest and Alaska Rider Tours....I rented a V-Strom from him in 2006 on my Alaska trip.

[​IMG]

Doc crashed out on the way home in the car, after a long Rally weekend.

[​IMG]

Back home in San Diego, we continued to be delayed by the guy working on the 2 wheel drive setup. So, we continued enjoying our final weeks in San Diego.

[​IMG]

Doc loves the ladies....and his beer ! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one final San Diego Adventure Riders Tech Day before we left....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it was finally time to leave San Diego, so our last time to Dog Beach, Doc's favorite place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prepping the 950 and Harley XR1200 for long term storage....

[​IMG]
  14. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    August 2017.

I'm not going into the details, but the guy working on the 2 wheel drive mods ended up taking way too long, 7 months for what should've taken 2 months maximum....I lost all faith and trust in him that it was going to work and that he did a good job. He finally had it ready for a test ride, but it failed the first 2 test rides. He had to do more mods and he completely hacked up the body and linear actuator mounts. He wanted full payment for an incomplete job before I took it for a third test ride. I said no way. I ended up taking my rig off his property and fired him.

The plan now was to truck the rig up to my original sidecar builder in Northern California to go thru the entire 2 wheel drive setup to see what the guy did. I rented a Penske Box Van and headed to Chico. I had 5 days to get there, so I figured we'd enjoy the drive up and see friends along the way. First night, Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, we slept a couple hours in the back of the van with the door rolled up and woke up to awesome views !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mt. Whitney

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc's a great traveler and buddy, whether it's a truck or in the sidecar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped to see my friend Dale and his wife Ann in Bishop....met him about 11 years ago...he's know in his 80's and still riding ! We hung out and talked for quite awhile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That night we slept in the back of the van again, up at about 11,000 feet where it was much cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where the town Bishop got it's name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That evening, made it to Lake Tahoe and stopped to see my friend Kevin and his wife who happened to be staying at his wife's dad's place as we were passing thru...met Kevin in 2006 on my Alaska Trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc enjoying the lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next night, I went to see a childhood friend I had not seen in 20 years, we grew up on the same block and hung out as kids. I recently found him on Facebook and we reconnected. Was great to see Andrew, stayed at his house in Reno.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    On the way across the Sierra, went to Donner State Park and the Pioneer Monument.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we went up over the historic Donner Pass....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the history of this area....

[​IMG]

We had time to kill, so I really wanted to do a good hike. We found a trail going up Mt. Judah to a summit at 8300 feet. Met this guy who was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail from start to finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of wildflowers and great views along the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc hadn't seen snow in awhile, he loves it and goes crazy !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we were getting close to the summit at around 8,000 feet, I realized how out of shape I was and was getting exhausted. Had to take a break, then another break 100 yards later...wondering if I was going to make it to the top. I got my second wind and continued on and we made it to the summit at 8,300 feet...was well worth it ! Spectacular views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My reward for making it to the summit.

[​IMG]

Doc resting in the shade of some rocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mission accomplished....5 mile round trip hike from 5,000 feet to 8,300 feet. Doc had no problems....me, well not bad for being out of shape.
  16. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Got up to my sidecar builder's shop in Chico, CA.....Chris Canterbury of Boxer Metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was now time to take the rig out for it's first real test ride with the 2 wheel drive engaged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris telling me to put it thru it's paces....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, the rig survived about a 10 mile test ride to start. But later, when we got back to the shop and started checking things out, we started finding a bunch of problems. For the next few weeks we would take the 2 wheel drive completely apart and go thru it with a fine tooth comb.

To be continued....
  17. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Continued from September 2017....time to catch up on my trip report....

I won't go into the details of what we found wrong with the 2 wheel drive build, but as we went thru everything with a fine toothed comb, I realized the way it was built and problems we found, it would have failed in a couple of hundred miles on the road. We spent 4 weeks trying to fix everything. The last thing we found was both the long axle and the Jeep locking hub stub-axle were not straight and true. We would have to send them out to be straightened but I didn't have time to wait for the axles to be repaired. At this point, I needed to get on the road to head to Oveland Expo East in North Carolina because we entered the "Cool Ride Contest" at the Expo.

Here are some photos of places I explored while the rig was being worked on in Chico, CA.

A local stream where we went swimming in the 100 + degree weather....

Doc dragging an 8 foot log out of the stream....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While in Chico, I met a friend of Chris's and she mentioned she's a teacher at a class for kids with special needs. I asked her if they I could bring Doc to visit as a therapy dog (Doc is a Certified Therapy Dog, and we plan to do therapy dog visits in other countries as we travel the world).

She said yes, so a few days later we went to the school and Doc did his first visit as an official Therapy Dog....the kids loved him, and he did lots of high fives for treats !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While at Boxer Metal, this couple Andrew McLeod and his wife were visiting from Australia, riding around the western states on their BMW. We quickly made friends, and I found out they were also headed to Overland Expo, so I knew we'd see them there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc saying goodbye to Andrew and his wife.

[​IMG]

We found another local river with a great place for Doc to swim and have fun...the Honey Run Bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had to go check out the town called "Helltown".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice scenery is this gorge, that was carved out by the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc loves sticks....the bigger, the better !

[​IMG]

He saw this "stick" out in the river....which was actually a tree, so he figured he'd try to go fetch it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We finally got the sidecar rig back together, working on it until midnight one Friday, and I had to be in North Carolina by the following Tuesday for the "Cool Ride Party" at Overland Expo East...attendance at the party was mandatory if you were entered in the contest. There was no way I could ride the rig out with Doc and make it there in 3 days, that would be too many hours in the sidecar for Doc, I wouldn't put him thru that.

So on Saturday, we rented a Penske box van and got on the road for Asheville, North Carolina. Luckily we actually chose to drive, because we hit a snowstorm in the mountains of Wyoming and lots of cold weather and more snow going cross country.

[​IMG]

More to come....stay tuned.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Suncoaster like this.
  18. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    After a 3 day drive cross country in the box van with the rig in the back, We arrived in Asheville, North Carolina to the brewery where they were having the "Cool Ride Contest Party". We had a great time meeting new people, showing off our rig and checking out the other vehicles. Then the next day, it was time for Overland Expo East 2017 !!! Yeehaw !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc and our rig were a big attraction at the Expo....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday night they announced the "Cool Ride Contest" winner....We won the contest !! $500 in expo money to spend on some much needed items for our trip. We were the first motorcycle and/or sidecar rig to win the contest, we were happy boys ! Thanks to everyone who voted for us !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw lots of friend, and made many new ones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The infamous world traveler and author Sam Manicom and I.

[​IMG]

Simon and Lisa Thomas, and Ted Simon....infamous world travelers at the campfire.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone is friendly here, doesn't matter whether you're on motorcycles or 4 wheel overland rigs...we made the rounds to have fun at different campfires...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc gettin' some lovin' from Lisa Thomas.

[​IMG]

with Simon and Lisa Thomas.

[​IMG]

As I was riding around the field, I heard someone yell, "Randy, is that you" ? I turned around and saw my friend and World Traveler, Daniel Rintz. I hosted him and his girl Josephine Flohr at my house a few years ago, when they came to the U.S.A. to start part of their motorcycle journey to South America.

[​IMG]

Daniel Rintz doing one of his presentations on world travel.

[​IMG]

Friends Cyan Samone and Azure O'Neil

[​IMG]

Took a winching class, to learn more tips since our rig has a winch on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc got tons of lovin' from people at the Expo....everybody loves Doc !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The face of a boy who had an action packed, fun filled weekend.

[​IMG]
  19. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    After an awesome 5 days at Overland Expo East 2017, I was invited to stay with Mike and Sharon Maxwell who have a ranch outside of Asheville. They had hosted about 8 different people at their home during Overland Expo. We had a great time staying with them, we ended up there for a few days since I had a few minor things to do to our rig.

Here, from left to right...Greg and Melanie Turp, Mike Maxwell, Dan Wilson and Sam Manicom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a real pleasure staying with Mike and Sharon and these other world travelers and we all became good friends.

[​IMG]

Greg and Melanie's bike.

[​IMG]

Dan Wilson's home away from home....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, Doc being the friendly guy he is, made friends with the other dogs on the ranch.

[​IMG]

The Maxwell's have a few horses....at first, Doc went out in the field to bark at them, but by the third day he went nose to nose with them and made friends...then he went out in the field and didn't worry about the horses anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One morning on the ranch, woke up and was treated to the sight of these beautiful animals playing in the field.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After finishing up a few things on the sidecar rig, it was time to say our goodbyes to Mike and Sharon....what generous hosts and great people they are !

[​IMG]

Mike had every tool imaginable in case I needed to use any of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left the Asheville area after thanking my hosts, and next stop was my cousin's house in Virginia....only a few hours away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The park right across the street from my cousin's house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc had more buddies to play with....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was great seeing my family, who I hadn't seen in a few years. After 3 days, I thanked them for their generosity and once again it was time to get on the road....next stop, my best friend's place in Virginia on the coast, just a few hours away.
  20. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    My best friend Joe, who I've known for 52 years since kindergarten, has a place on the Virginia coast in a tiny village of Willis Wharf, population about 300. A beautiful area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc on a dock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG],

What a quiet, peaceful little fishing town....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]tu

They are doing shellfish aquaculture here now....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many of the little buildings/homes in this area, were removed from nearby Hog Island and brought by boat back to the mainland. These are 2 little out-buildings on my friend's property.

[​IMG]

While we were there, we saw on Facebook that our friends from California, Larry and Sue Langley were traveling the country in the motor home. They happened to be coming thru the area at the same time, so we met for lunch at a local restaurant...that was really great and what a coincidence !

[​IMG]

Stayed with my friend Joe and his girlfriend for 3 days, and then it was time to get on our rig and continue to Baltimore, Maryland.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Muscongus like this.