The slow ride home - Canada to Australia on a pair of CT110 Honda Postie Bikes

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by tncpowell, Jan 24, 2016.

1. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well what a day. After an amazing breakfast by the Murray, Chantelle and I headed off towards our destination of Renmark. We need to collect some copies of our rego papers for the bikes in order to get our carnets. Mabel is a Victorian and Rosie is a NSW bike. We figured if we get to Mildura we can get one there and one just over the border in NSW. Easy!

[​IMG]

It was a gorgeous day for riding. Clear blue skies, not too hot and not too cold. I set the GPS for Renmark via the backroads. We ended up on wide gravel roads with no traffic. We also came across a huge flat screen tv. Mabel and Rosie wanted to watch a movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were eventually spat out onto the highway of death, full of big trucks and speeding cars until we managed to get off at Berrima for a lunch of ham, tomato, cheese and spinach sandwhiches by a lake!

[​IMG]

After that we passed through Renmark and pointed our little bikes towards Mildura. We ended up following the old Mail Route Rd through the Murray Sunset National Park. WOW. WOW. WOW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stunning fun riding on a wildly bumpy and corrugated road. The surface changed from hard pack gravel to hard clay to sand to marbles and everything in between. We were having a blast.

[​IMG]

Until…..

I saw a massive cloud of dust in my mirror. I knew instantly that Chantelle was off. She had hit a ridge of gravel and after a big snakey and a tank slapper she went down. Hard. Rosie was twisted, her headlight pushed in, front rack snapped off, broken bolts on her horn mount, front guard twisted against the wheel and her steering stop sheared clean off.
    Chantelle was laying face down, her leg under the bike. But she was more worried about Rosie than herself. So that was a good sign. I dusted them both off and straightend Rosie up as best I could.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Rosie reasonably straightened out we made the last 40kms to our camp on the Murray near Mildura. Tomorrow hopefully we can get the process started for our Carnets. Might even go to a Mad Max museum. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    SmilinJoe, Dirt Road Cowboy and USA1 like this.
  2. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    The obvious benefits would be more HP and the oil cooler. Beyond initial cost, you went with 125cc and not the 140cc because it has lower maintenance, better gas mileage, more available parts? You're carrying a lot of gear, how often do you change oil? Here assuming you're getting 70'ish mpg and cruising at 45-48mph. Fascinated by the whole Go Small, Go Long mindset.

Still too cool for Anchorage, but you might enjoy our American SW -- Utah, Texas Big Bend area, Colorado, NM, AZ are scenically stunning. Early Spring and Fall are ideal.
    tncpowell likes this.
  3. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    We slept in until 9 this morning! We had planned to get up early, but hey! After a breakfast of rock melon and tea we set about doing an oil change on Mabel. Rosie gets one tomorrow. Bikes are both running really well at the moment!

After that we packed up camp and headed off into Mildura to pick up a copy of Mabel's rego papers. The lady at Vic roads was extremely friendly and we had a great old chat.

[​IMG]

Chantelle waited outside with the bikes and met a lovely couple from a local Honda motorcycle club. They took a few pics of Mabel and Rosie and we swapped phone numbers. A really lovely couple and we wish we had of gotten their names!

[​IMG]

From there it was time to head over the border and into NSW to get Rosie's rego sorted out. However as we couldn't prove that Rosie would be garaged in NSW, because she wont be, we were turned away with no rego and told to present proof that we were going to keep Rosie at a NSW address. Luckily we have a good friend in Yass!

[​IMG]

By this time it was past lunch o'clock so we found a patch of grass down by the river and had some cheese and mushroom sandwhiches. Nom nom!

[​IMG]

After lunch it was time to head towards Broken Hill some 260 km's away. We set the GPS for a free camp about halfway there. No need to rush these things.

[​IMG]

The road was flat and mostly straight as we headed into the NSW outback. Beautiful in its own right! Also plenty of wild life on offer. Emu's, roo's, goats, feral sheep, and a pair of wedge tailed eagles. Pretty cool!

[​IMG]

As our asses both started to hurt we were really looking forward to camp today. We had a bum break about 40 km's from camp and then pushed on.

[​IMG]

Nice little camp tonight. It overlooks a dried up lake bed and is lovely and quiet, oh apart from the Holden Commodore pulling out after a toilet stop and attempting to do a "burnout". Buy a Ford mate, it will do a better skid!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We watched the sun go down and spread its colorful fingers across the sky, while behind us was a spectacular moonrise. Bliss!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are getting around 78 mpg pretty consistently. Oil changes every 1000kms to 1200k's max. We try to sit on between 65 and 70 km/hr. Seems to suit the bikes and doesnt make them work too hard. Yep 125's are much less maintenance, apparently super reliable, and parts are easy to get. Also some internals are Honda part compatible!
    x32792 likes this.
  5. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:

Dont run out off fuel around Chantelle.....
    Turps, Dirt Road Cowboy and motopoet like this.
  6. USA1

USA1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great video, I'm happy to hear that both Rosie and Chantelle are doing well after their tank slapper get off. If I haven't told you before now, you take brilliant photos mate. They really support your story line within your post. I do really feel as I'm there with you. I have seen a lot of OZ through your RRs. Have a safe journey and I'll continue riding along with you through your reports. With great respect, Carl
    tncpowell likes this.
  7. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to have you along with us Carl! I have a passion for phototgraphy and enjoy taking heaps of pics. Glad your enjoying them!
  8. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a late getaway today. The little postie bikes attract a lot of attention and we were chatting to many people this morning about them. Its great how we get to connect with others on the road simply because of Rosie and Mabel's scrawny red necks! We had a lot of cool ant holes around the tent this morning.

[​IMG]

After we packed up camp we were warned about many squashed roo's on the highway. It seems that the trucks last night may have cleaned a few up.

[​IMG]

Once we were under way the weather actually cooled off a little. It was a little overcast and there were occasional spits of rain as the heavens tried to drop some moisture onto this dry barren bit of land. Boy is it dry out here. There isnt much in the way of greenery poking up through the sands and in the small patches that are green, the goats are mowing it down.

[​IMG]

We zipped along today at a steady 65km/hr. We had a nice tail wind and the little bikes were just purring. Both of us are longing for some bloody hills though! The only bumps we saw were the carcasses of last nights road kill. There must have been 30 plus freshly dead roo's out there.

[​IMG]

We stopped for a quick bum break at a tree full of bra's. Mabel didn't leave one there though, as she doesn't wear undies.Tart!

[​IMG]

From there we powered on until Rosie's exhaust dropped a header bolt and started making enough bloody rack to be waking up even the dead roo's. It was a quick and easy fix, and had us moving again within minutes. While looking over Mabel at the time, I noticed her tread is starting to come apart on her cheap rear tyre. Hopefully I can get another in Broken Hill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We soon saw structures on the horizon that meant we were approaching the city of Broken Hill. We setup camp and then decided that because it was such a hard day we should treat our selves to beer and pizza.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we shall head off to look at Silverton and the Mad Max museum before spending another night in Broken Hill.There may even be a Mabel and Rosie Road Warrior (Mad Max) tribute video in the making......

Did you know BHP Biliton got its name from Broken Hill? Broken Hill Propriety.
  9. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    I'm in, you guys are funny. Great trip :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    USA1 likes this.
  10. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report so far! Good on ya to pick yourself up, dust off, and keep going after that wanker in a cage smacked you down the first day! True grit, that!!
  11. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    So after being abandoned I had to fend for myself. I had no fuel and no food.... this is what happened next

12. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today was a day for being a tourist. Chantelle decided to have a quiet day at camp while I went to Silverton to check out the Mad Max 2 Museum. I am a big fan of the Mad Max movies so I was pretty excited!

[​IMG]

After a quick splash of fuel I rode Mabel the 30 odd km's to silverton. It was nice and cool and finally there was some hills!

We made a stop at the famous Silverton Hotel and admired the old VW Beetle with a super charger hanging out of its bonnet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there I spied the Mad Max Museum and I was off like a frog in a sock!

[​IMG]

I ggrabbed a few pics from outside and then had a nice little chat with one of the owners. After a long wander around inside, looking at all the photos and props from the movie, I went out the back to where the real treasures were. The cars!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not one but 2 Black on Black Interceptors. They are so beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I finished there I had a quick look around the town site and then headed out to see the Mundi Mundi Plains. It is so flat out there that you can see the curvature of the earth Pretty spectacular. Also its the filming location for Mad Max 2!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I was most of the way there I pushed on and had a look at the Broken Hill reservoir. It was bone dry with just damp sand in the bottom of it. Very dry out here and the whole area is on strict water restrictions.

[​IMG]

On the way back to camp I spied a lizard, bearded dragon?, sitting in the middle of the busy road. So I gently nudged him off the road and out of harms way. I don't think he appreciated it too much.....

[​IMG]

One more night here in Broken Hill. Tomorrow we shall head for Cobar, after I try to find a new rear tyre for Mabel.
  13. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a breakfast consisting of a cup of tea, Chantelle and I packed up camp. We were keen to be back on the road after two days of being in the one spot. We feel its important to have a day off the bikes occasionally and we always look forward to getting back on them.

[​IMG]

First up today was to go and get a tyre for Mabel. Her rear one is so worn now that I am waiting for it to fall apart. Being the Easter long weekend I didn't think I would have much luck. But one quick phone call to a local motorcycle mechanic and for $20 I had a slightly second hand one! Yay!

From there we had to go shopping. We pretty well carry enough dry goods to last us a week so we do occasionally buy some fresh stuff just to keep the menu exciting. Tonight its going to be mash potato, peas, sausages and gravy and white bread! YUMMMO!

[​IMG]

Once we had packed all the shopping away we scurried out of town down the Barrier Highway, heading towards Cobar in NSW.

[​IMG]

It was a lot of flat long bitumen stretches with some amazing views and gorgeous little valleys.

[​IMG]

We stopped at a town called Topa and had some soup for lunch before continuing onto our fuel stop of Wilcania.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a dodgey feeling town that was. Buildings were boarded up, one looked like it had been destroyed in a fire and there were massive steel bars on the old pub. It just had a weird vibe about it. We grabbed some very expensive fuel and raced out of there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our camp was a further 60 odd ks up the road at a truck stop, with a fenced of kids playground, in the middle of no where, full of feral goats. Bizzare.

[​IMG]

We setup camp inside the playground fencing to keep away from the ever hungry goats, cooked up a feast under a spectacular star filled sky and climbed into bed. A good day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow Cobar and beyond!
  14. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woke up nice and early this morning. Before the sun even peeked over the horizon. Partly thanks to the truck parked near us with his engine running while he slept!

[​IMG]

It was a good excuse to get up and get Mabel's new tyre on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chantelle made us breakfast while I did the tyre change. We had a cup of coffee from Chantelle's fancy Aero Press. It was a strong coffee. To strong for this black duck, and I ended up tipping it out.

As we packed up camp we drew an unusual crowd. About 10 goats all turned up and followed us back and forth as we packed the bikes up. One got a little cocky and started climbing on the table amongst our gear. We quickly shooed him away! The rest just stood there and stared at us. Weirdo's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once packed up, we got on the road. The air was quite cool and I soon had Mabel's heated grips turned on full! Yes I am bloody soft!

[​IMG]

Lots of road kill today. We just plodded along. Swerving between carcasses. The Barrier Highways seemingly stretching into forever. The scenery was still pretty though and we watched as it changed from bare ground to scrub and bright red dirt and finally farmland.

[​IMG]

We passed through Cobar where we had a break for lunch and some photos. From there we decided to push on to Nyngan which was near to our chosen camp for the night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And what a nice camp it is! We are the only ones here, which is surprising as its the Easter weekend. Mr Plod kindly waved us down as we came into town for a breathalyser test and we ended up chatting to him about postie bikes for a while. Nice fella!

[​IMG]

The Easter bunny came for us! Chantelle got an Aero bar, her favourite, and I got a block of Cadbury's. YUMMMMMM. We ate the lot instantly!

Tomorrow we will take a back road and knock a chunk of the 390kms left to Bathurst, on the head.
  15. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were up with the sun today, and it was glorious! I think I had the best sleep last night that I have had in a long time. Felt so refreshed and ready to take on the road again!

[​IMG][​IMG]

We have both had enough of the highways for now so we set the GPS for Bathurst via all the back roads only. We had been told of a nice way through a few small towns by a guy on Facebook. So we assumed this is where the GPS would

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We followed the Bogan River on Bogan Way all morning, stopping in Tullamore for lunch and continuing on until we ended up in a town called Bogan Gate. Where I guess all the bogan's are? For those who don't know what a bogan is, its an Aussie version of a redneck. Bogan's are all about cars, burnouts and booze, a bit like us really! Then we were back onto a small quiet highway which we followed all the way through to a town called Manildra. Finally we are back into some hills! Mabel is not happy about that!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This was our camp stop today and as we got here quite early we spent a bit of time doing some bike maintenance. Then it was dinner and time to get into the tent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to doing a lap of Bathurst tomorrow! Woohoo! Thats the bogan in us getting all excited! Hope you are all enjoying the ride with us! Let us know if you want to see more or less or have any questions!
    Dirt Road Cowboy and USA1 like this.
  16. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  17. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    For years we have been fans of the V8 Supercar racing here in Australia. If you haven't seen it and you like motorsport, then check it out! To us the only race tha is a must see every race season is the Bathurst 1000. Generally full of changing weather and awesome crashes as these 600hp monsters charge around a street circuit built on a mountain called Mount Panorama. Today two little CT110 POsties were going to have crack!

[​IMG]

Not long after we packed up camp and got underway, rain drops started to hit our helmet visors. Hmm...not what we were hoping for. By the time we got to the town of Orange we were getting prepared to put our wet weather gear on.

[​IMG]

Orange in NSW is a gorgeous little town with an amazing park that we decided to take a stroll through. I have to say, it must be the best park I have ever been in. Simply stunning!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After a short break in Orange we rolled towards Bathurst. Unfortunately for us we ended up on the highway for a while. The traffic though was well behaved and we had plenty of room to pull over onto the shoulder to let people pass.

Once we got into Bathurst the rain started up a little heavier. We put on the wet weather gear reluctantly and then went in search of Mount Panorama.

We did a hot lap of the circuit and we were both amazed at the steepness of the track! Also the corners are quite sharp and after having watched the speed at which the racing car drivers took those bends...well we had a new found respect for them and the size of their goolies!

[​IMG]

Once we got the Bogan stuff out of our systems we went shopping and then made a bee line for a camp around 60kms out of town.It was a gorgeous little spot set in a valley on the Abercrombie river. Here we had a few glasses of red wine in front of a camp fire and watched the sun go down. A good fun day even with a bit of rain hanging around.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  18. tncpowell

tncpowell Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a gorgeous morning! After the grey rainy day of yesterday, it was nice to poke my head out of tent and see blue sky in every direction. The air was crisp and fresh and had that little burn when it hit your lungs upon inhaling deeply. I love mornings like this!

[​IMG]

We sat down and had a breakfast of boiled eggs and tea and coffee when a ute pulled up in front of us. An older man hopped out with his coffee mug in hand and came chatted to us. He was a very interesting fella who lived off the land as much as he could and hunted his own meat in the form of wild pigs and goats from the area. Also, it turns out he used to race flat track speedway and has ridden bikes all his life. He had some cool stories! Nice to have met you Old Fossil!

[​IMG]

After we packed up our gear we wandered off towards Yass where we are going to stay with a good friend of Chantelle's. The riding was sublime and we rode through some spectacular scenery up over rolling hills and down into meandering valleys. I stopped and explored some old convict built culverts along the way. It was brilliant!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We took our time as we only had a short distance to ride today, and enjoyed a long lunch break in the sun. We were quite chilly today as we have hit 1000mts above sea level a few times and there has been a cutting cold wind.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Eventually we arrived in Yass after a short highway stint. The house we are staying in was originally built as an inn called The Spotted Dog in the 1800's and is simply stunning.I quizzed the owner on its history and rifled through all her old photos of the place. I'm fascinated with places such as this.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We were treated to a home cooked dinner and fresh baked bread after a heap of cheese and crackers. All washed down with beer and wine and a dessert of chocolate. WOW. It was amazing.

This place is going up on Air BnB so as soon as I get a link for it I will post it up. Definately check it out if your looking for somewhere to stay in Yass.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    SmilinJoe and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  19. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the report and great pics - keep it up
    tncpowell likes this.
  20. hyrumfoink

hyrumfoink real gone~

Oddometer:
    hey tnc.....thanks for the stories! you're vids are great as well....funny!
    tncpowell likes this.