The Southern Route - East

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by NorthernTraveler, Feb 26, 2017.

1. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a transcontinental Adventure and Dual Sport route from near San Diego California to Tybee Island Georgia. Ride at your own risk.

This segment goes from the eastern edge of Alabama where it come from 'The Southern Route - Midwest' to the eastern end of the route at Tybee Island GA.

The section to the west of here - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-southern-route-midwest.1070373/
    As far as I know all roads are legal Public roads - Forest Service, county, state,etc. Off pavement as much as possible.

SR east release V1-0.jpg

[​IMG]
    Here is the Garmin .gdb file - https://www.dropbox.com/s/b92sdgk7nnwtt0n/SR east release V1-0.gdb?dl=0

Here is a standard GPX file - https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1c5e2go9sr9wcz/SR east release V1-0.gpx?dl=0

Here is the documentation file - https://www.dropbox.com/s/oss080h4zeroeeb/SR east release V1-0.doc?dl=0

Note - the tracks are raw tracks containing LOTS of track points.
    You may well have to filter these tracks down for some units.
  2. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures of the main route, going west to east.

SR21AL2 - eastern AL to Dalton GA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SR22GA1 - Dalton GA to Dillard GA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SR23GA2 - Dillard GA to Augusta SC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SR24GA3 - Augusta SC to Tybee Island GA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    lnewqban likes this.
  3. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures of Alts -

SR22GA1d -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    lnewqban and blackseven like this.
  4. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    The Southern Route is now complete.
    Updates on sections will be as when I have time and when I determine as needed.
    There inevitably be temporary closures along the way - deal with it, it's an adventure!
    If you have suggestions for improvements, PM me and be able to supply tracks.
    blackseven and BlueLghtning like this.
  5. blackseven

blackseven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the old TET-South tracks still viable? I still have them and this looks like it's small part of the Georgia loop. Going to try to run from Virginia to Carrabelle to this spring.
  6. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this is part of TET-S.
    As far as I know, the old TET-S stuff is still good.
    Waiting for a reply from TreeMan to let me use his tracks in north Florida - then I'll be re-releasing TET-S.
    blackseven likes this.
  7. jnowako

jnowako jake

Oddometer:
    You sir are the man. Always putting down great rides. Thanks for sharing such great rides
  8. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the TET-S southern loop in October, circling from Lowndesville-Lowndesville,SC. I had no issues between Carrabelle and Helen, Ga. That section is still good, though there is one small area freshly blacktopped in Fla, but you'll have a lot of fun in Apachicola (Can you look for my iphone6p if I give you coordinates?). I didn't ride the stretch from NC - VA. Riding TET7 and 6 end of this month though.
    blackseven likes this.
  9. blackseven

blackseven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your hard work with mapping and posting these routes. From a guy that sits in an office all day, you have the best job in the world.
  10. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    The newly paved area is around Natural Bridge Park and just north of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    Dropbox changed things and broke my links to everything.
    I'm made new links to the DOC, GPX, and GDB files.
    Trying to figure out how to fix the pictures.
  12. molochnik

molochnik Desperately wants the blue pill

Oddometer:
    Hi Northern Traveler,
    New guy on the forum here and I was referred to your threads as I'm looking for an ADV ride east. I would ultimately be heading up to the Philly neck of the woods from LA. Your path looks like it would get me into the Deal's Gap area which I know pretty well. I'd either take the Blue Ridge/Skyline from there, or I believe there is some kind of ADV trail running up the west side of the Appalachians. Either way, I appreciate your work.
    I'm sort of a philistine in terms of GPS. Can you recommend a way I can plot what you've done on maps? I saw in your other threads that there were issues with inaccurate maps so I'll have to find a work-around for those instances.
    Thanks for any help you're willing to provide!
  13. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    1st step - download county road maps for each state you're going through - IF you can find them.
    2nd step - get Benchmark Atlases for states you are going through - if they make them for that state.
    3rd step - look at Garmin Topo or OSM topo maps you're going through - Garmin are easier to interpret, but OSM has some hidden gems
    4th step - plot on Garmin City Nav maps your proposed routes staying as much as possible on gravel roads, maximizing terrain changes and scenic areas while keeping in mind gas stops and overnight stops. In the east figure to go near gas every 50 miles or so, out west 100 miles if you can. Overall I figure 200 miles a day with each day ending at or near Gas, Food, Lodging, Camping.
    5th step - convert routes to tracks
    6th step - ride it to proof it and make changes on the fly - so good idea to have alts available through every section.
  14. molochnik

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pearls! It's starting to look like riding the bike is going to be easiest part of this game :-)
    I've begun to mess around with GPS gizmos (which is really just whatever my I-phone has).Took a ride this morning with the tracking app running.

I've got a question that seems important - In a nutshell, what is the difference between a GPS route and a GPS track? This difference was implied to be important in one of the threads I've read. I apologize for my ignorance; I've spent my time on road courses, and before that, my touring was done with an atlas back in the olden days.
  15. NorthernTraveler

Oddometer:
    I'll put it this way - a route is where you think you want to go, a track is where somebody has been. But this is not strictly true.

A route is a way to go somewhere by a desired path based upon the particular map it was created on. If you use that route on any other map, it may use a different path to get to the points you've selected along the way. The GPS can give you guidance for turns coming up while you are traversing a route.

A track is a way to go somewhere by a desired path that is independent of the map underneath - it's a fixed in place path. Generally, a GPS will not give you guidance for turns coming up, it will just show a a line on the GPS that you have to look at to determine which way to travel.
    earguy likes this.
  16. molochnik

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, truly. So far this has been the best group of people on a forum to get an answer to questions, especially newbie questions.

Thanks again!