The Stand: Breaking out of the outbreak

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AJxr, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not only an independent, but successful!!! Retired at 50. Have worked part time at my brothers beef operations since ( motos as we all know much more expensive than golf). Being an independent gave opportunity to do ( things ) that made stopping at 50 possible . Also being a rider put me in position to know people. If you ever come to my Far East corner of Canada do let me know a month in advance. Dirt riding in pei is limited, but north half of neighboring New Brunswick has excellent forestry roads. Bring a few Amigos we could use my weee toy wagon as a base of operations. Fridge and stove and all that.
    AJxr likes this.
  2. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    that is super succesful. hard to imagine being in a position to retire by 50 with what im currently doing. congrats to you. pei is definitely on my list! ive never been to that part of the map and id love to check it out. especially with a tour guide/home base. someday soon hopefully.

124.jpg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    My wife’s very well paying job as a business banker was helpful with early retirement. Spent yesterday (Saturday) getting toy wagon ready, bike and gear loaded, all orther stuff loaded. Of to north New Brunswick tomorrow am and back Friday evening. Take Care Petepilot
    AJxr likes this.
  4. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    8/4/2020
    Day 10
    Kalispell to Canada to Kalispell
    229 miles

up at 2am again. definitely not falling back asleep. screw around in the hotel until around 4:45am. walk down the road to the 24/7 Cenex for some coffee.

125.jpg
    coffee no. 1

once the sun comes up i load my bike. its chilly.

hit the road at 6:45am aimed at columbia falls. slab all the way. cool view of the sun rising and lighting up whatever mountains are to my east. i wish it was rising faster to warm me up some.

roll into Columbia falls with a chill and an empty stomach. time for another coffee.

126.jpg
    coffee no. 2

cowgirl coffee with the killer banana bread.

gas up in columbia falls. head north toward glacier national park. eventually turns to a dirt road. kind of dusty again. every now and than i run into a car/rv. nowhere near as bad as the teton park was.

scenery noticeably different than that of where i started my trip. i think ive covered every type of terrain on this trip. mountains, desert, forest, mud, sand, dust, water crossings, snow, single track, double track, wide open slab.

127.jpg
    glacier np

so about 45 miles into glacier park i come to a sign. road closed ahead. Carol fucking Baskin

havent had cell service for the last hour. the one park ranger i find seems to be extra scared of covid to the point i can barely get any info out of him. he just wants to be left alone. this must have been the spot those guys i met in montana were talking about. i believe the road that was closed was called "north fork"

i figure that i have 2 options.

1. ride ahead and go through the road block.

2. backtrack and find a different route.

i dont want to offroad in a national park so option 1 quickly goes out the window.

left with option 2 i backtrack. constantly watching my miles and my gas tank to make sure i dont run out. about 15 miles later i find the only other road north. zoom my gps to see how far i am from the "CDR"

it took awhile. i want to say 20-30 miles or so but around Polebridge i got back on "the route." start seeing cyclists again. felt relieved. if i had known how minor of a detour this was i would have taken the time to ride "going to the sun road." heading through Flathead national forest now. every few miles there are signs saying "no entry to canada."

eventually get on another forest road riding heading west this time. see a big group of cyclists heading in the other direction. they gave me a big cheer so i guess by the look of me they could tell what i was doing. i think there were 50 miles or so left until the border. i wonder if they just started their journey?

this forest road had some good riding. i think on the western end i entered Kootenai National Forest.

128.jpg

129.jpg

there was one full size pickup dusting me out. took a few miles to find a passing spot. i dont know why people wont let motorcycles by.

i eventually come to route 93. its pavement from here to canada. i follow the CDR route via my gps and it takes me on backroads all the way to Roosville.

get to the border. its a dang ghost town. look around for someone waiting to tell me i cant get close enough to take a picture. no one shows up.

130.jpg

so after 10 days on the bike, and 2213 miles since colorado springs, i finally made to the canadian border. during a pandemic on a bike that was brought back from the dead. man that felt good. i did what i came to do.

i used electrical tape to hang my phone from the fence to take that pic :lol3

i spend some time sending that picture to my friends and family before heading south on 93. stopped in eureka for lunch and fuel.

131.png
    thwarted by covid this time... some day i will see what the fuss is about :imaposer

as i am leaving eureka i see a group of jeeps heading north on 93.... drivers and passengers are waving at me.... holy shit its that overland convoy i passed back in the wyoming desert! how fucking cool. i wish we hit the border at the same time. it was only an hour or so since i had left it.

continue to slab it on 93 until i get to whitefish. needing a break from the drone of pavement pounding i start looking for a souvenir store or something to visit and kill some time. spot the "cowboy cabin" old west antiques and decor.

lets check it out.

132.jpg

133.jpg

wtf? is this real. shop owner was a cool dude. very talkative. very pissed about to covid lockdown. i agree with him. said he had to close his shop for almost 5 months. tries to sell me everything you can imagine. crazy expensive things. i opted to buy a buffalo tooth for $10... :roflhe must not have seen my motorcycle.

back on the bike and southbound back to kalispell. my home for the night again. staying in the same room as last night. get back, unload my bike, wash up. walk across the street to "charlie wong saigon garden" and get some mongolian beef. a celebratory meal and it was good.

134.jpg

at this point the ride wasnt over but it felt like the adventure was. i didnt want to be heading home yet though. i had been really digging this lifestyle... who doesnt though? i had ridden more in the last 10 days than i have in the last 2 years combined. livin the dream.

day 10 over.
  5. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    AJ. Thanks for all that, very well done. Bout 12 years ago myself and a good friend ( him owner local international dealer ship) and with help of a toy wagon did pei to Alaska during 6 weeks. Made bunch of stops to do day rides. One stop was Horseshoe Lake Montana. Did 2 day rides from there. One ride was Glacier Park and surrounding area. Remember the Polebridge Bakery. We Stopped twice that day. Excellent cinnamon buns!!!!! Seems like you didn’t stop there. But did you notice? Was it open? Is it still generator powered ? Do you wander alone with a sos device? I’ll be using a Delorme Inreach in North New Brunswick this week. Although it is annoying bugger to operate . Had it bout 4 years, still learning its features. Again I have enjoyed the ride along. Do take care Petepilot
    AJxr likes this.
  6. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    @Pete Pilot

pei to alaska must have been an incredible ride. i missed the bakery in polebridge. it must be good because someone else asked me the same. no sos device for me... yet. looked into a spot tracker before this trip but didnt get it. might get one next time around depending on what trip is next.
  7. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    We pulled up to Polebrige Bakery. With helmets still on we commenting on what’s the noise? Generator. We used my toy wagon and Willy’s dodge diesel as the tractor for the Alaska trip. To many day trips to list. We did do both the Haul rd to Pruedoe bay and the road up to Inuvik. Each oh those was one day north and one day south. Doing either in 2 days is a bit difficult. 3 would be much easier. Sitting on PB front veranda eating an excellent plate size cinnamon bun with generator out back purring. Not much better.
    AJxr likes this.
  8. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    8/5/2020
    Day 11
    Kalispell to Missoula
    134 miles

up at 430 am. walk over to that same cenex for some hot bean juice.

last day on the bike. ill be riding to missoula where i have a rental car reserved at the airport. the plan is to take the xr apart enough to fit it in the rental and then i will be driving back to colorado springs to get my personal vehicle.

load my gear. on the road around 8am. southbound. route 93 all the way.

135.jpg

coffee 2. that place had good coffee and the food was killer. staff was kind of snooty. not my kind of place.

136.jpg
    amphibious war unit.

i get into missoula fairly early. around noon or so. i cant pick up my rental car until tomorrow so i book a hotel for the night. will be a great staging area for my xr disassembly. after checking in a decide to call the rental place and see if i can get the car early. worth a shot eh? sure enough the guy says no problem and i can probably get the car around 4pm.

4pm rolls around and i head to alamo to get my car. DENIED. turns out my visa debit card that i reserved the vehicle with isnt good for actually renting. wtf. every other place runs it as a credit card without issues but not alamo. plead with the guy but he claims he cant do anything. how lame. i reserved this thing 2 months in advance.

i dont have a credit card and other than a mortgage i dont have any debt. thats why i dont get one. :lol3 hasnt been an issue until this.

so now im stressing. its thursday and i have to be at work on monday. on the other side of the country. im in missoula montana 1000 miles from my vehicle in colorado springs. my bike does about 50mph and honestly im not sure it would last at max speed for 1000 more miles. if i had the time id ride trail all the way back.

i call every rental car place in missoula. i find one place with a pickup truck. sounds promising until i mention that i will be using it on a one way trip to colorado. denied again.

start thinking of finding a motorcycle shop and try to buy a smaller rear sprocket so i can run the xr at highway speeds.

finally i decide its time to make things a little easy. lay down my cheapskate sword. call up uhaul. best they can do is a 10ft box truck for $600.... its 5 miles away, i wont have to take the bike apart, and i can pay with my debit. i hit up advance auto for some ratchet straps and pick up my shiny new $600 gas guzzler. of course it doesnt have a ramp. muscle the xr up into the truck. as i strapped the old boy down i could feel a sigh of relief come out of it. its job was over. it got me where i needed to go. i promise you that this bike made the trip 100x more enjoyable. it is a simple machine and i didnt need it to be anything else.

2432 miles on the bike in 11 days on this trip.

137.jpg
    ya done good old boy

so back to my hotel... this place was cheap and definitely the kind of place where you can take your bike apart in the parking lot. now i dont have to do that luckily :clap

this place had character. when i checked in the guy warned me. he said something like... our rooms arent nice but they are clean. he even had me inspect the room before checking me in.

in my head im thinking... you should be worried about me. ive been wearing the same clothes for the last 2 weeks.

im not gonna name the place but you gotta check this out

138.jpg

139.jpg

the lock didnt work but its not a bad neighborhood. felt better with the old chair technique. better than nothing. the toilet ran all night. i tried to screw with the plunger but no luck. the water valve was a little too crusty to shut off. i didnt want to break it and flood the room. fuck it.

so that concludes day 11. i plan to do one more post about the ride home and what i would do different for the next ride.

as short as it was... that was the best ride i have ever taken. im glad i got to share it with you guys and i really appreciate the positive feedback.

ive been home for a month and i have been using the XR to commute on. it still has that montana mud on it. guess the old hog deserves a good bath sometime soon.

time to start planning the next one.... :beer
  9. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    Would the chain have managed a sprocket 2 bigger? One learns from their expeditions. I try to avoid all motel- hotels but not always possible. Been in some rooms like that, although most been in Mexico. My favourite place to ride. It is large equipment that you relocate?
  10. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    When I did the 1 bigger on the front I pretty much used up all my chain slack. And the sprocket was big enough I couldn’t put the chain guard back on. I didn’t know that was an issue with the xr250r. Next time around I will keep the 13t front and go with a smaller rear sprocket.

D919A306-1F79-4A14-B2E7-DDD80A641977.jpeg

My old truck. In a tandem tractor now. You can see my dog in the green coat for scale. I am also a Pete pilot
    liv2day, waylongway and yakawars59 like this.
  11. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    You be you be moving few lbs there. My last 10 years driving a Chinese Chow Chow rode with me. A Xmas gift for my wife when he 6 weeks. Year later he started riding with me. He was in charge of security. Damn good at it, 50 lbs of teeth. I always try to go bigger with either sprocket, always good to increase distance from swing arm.
    I am wondering where all the other riders went that where following along here???? Looking forward to your conclusion and thoughts on your ride. Can’t make out your puppy very well, what breed?
  12. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    He’s a Jack Russell. Got him at 8 weeks and he grew up in the cab. When he got around 2 years old he became kind of yappy as most JR do. He would bark a lot when there were people outside the truck so that made DOT stops a nightmare. He stays home these days but I am a local driver and home every night so it’s all good. What kind of hauling did you do as an independent?
  13. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    Chinese Chows don’t bark. Growl if that don’t work then they snarl if fool slow to move white froth starts to accompany the snarl. NA was my office. Ran reefer trailers. I was probably among the better payed drivers. But that fact had little to do with what the truck was making. More to do with what I was willing to do. It has always made me sad that a group of people do work that has such potential for danger are so poorly payed. Ever wonder how many truck drivers are needed to build one pick up truck? Likely hundreds I think. By Statistics Canada our federal governments office for all things Statistics. More truck drivers die on the job than fire fighters, police officers and military personnel combined EVERY YEAR. Likely similar numbers in your country. I seen way to many blue tarps covering the 3 windows of highway tractors. Apologize for high jacking this, didn’t intend too. Petepilot
  14. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    No worries about the hijack I am enjoying it.
  15. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    @AJxr if you're looking for the Tim Horton's coffee experience, when you manage to make it north of the 45th parallel hit up a McDonald's. A number of years ago, Timmy's changed up their coffee bean/roast/supplier and it's turned into battery acid. McDonald's Canada saw an opportunity and snagged their old roast and supplier. It's still not what you call high class coffee but at least it's drinkable without a ton of sugar and cream. Can't do much about the baked goods though. They are all made in a factory and frozen and reconstituted at the store. Everything used to be made on site.

I also hear you on the not using credit. My wife and I also only have the mortgage on a not overly expensive house after just paying off the car (no I don't want the loan for 6 years no more than four!) Car rental is one of the two problems I ran into. The other was that the Gov'mt of Canada office could take a Visa card or a debit card to pay for my passport renewal. Not a Visa/debit. Been a couple years now so that might have changed. No we don't have as many toys as the neighbors, but they won't all disappear if one or both of us loose our jobs and have to start slinging hash. We do get the occasional odd look when we trot out "sorry we don't use credit." We may still be odd bit no longer unique!
    AJxr likes this.
  16. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    @Possibly Certifiable

bummer about the hortons. I can say McDonald’s coffee down here in the states can also be described as battery acid.

I’m right there with ya on the credit. My thoughts exactly. Seems much easier to go through life that way. I enjoy the extra work with not having the best toys and fixing everything on my own. It’s rewarding.
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    This RR has been so solid, I'm both happy that it was successful and sad to see it end ! Looking forward to that next trip!
    AJxr and waylongway like this.
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just catching up on days 8 & 9 and wanted to quote this as it's simple and profound at the same time. I hear and feel ya; took the longest vacation of my working career in '18 with close to 22 days off...2600+ miles in Baja and easily the best trip of my life (on many fronts). The balance between getting out on rides like this and balancing family, house, job, and everything else is tough...think we as Americans have our collective priorities a bit fubard from the corporate side - the rat race and all that.

In any event, this report is fantastic and I appreciate the tenacity of you making it happen on a bike that's older than the millennials :lol2 :lol2. Haven't made it to page 4 yet, look forward to checking it out shortly :thumb
    AJxr and waylongway like this.
  19. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very much enjoyed your spirit and off the cuff roll on...:thumb

The bike was a bonus...:queenie
    No debt,12k left on the homestead....:beer
    AJxr likes this.
  20. mikerthebiker

mikerthebiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent some time OTR as well. I remember a few times where lot lizards were kicking and scratching at my door, trying to get out!
    AJxr likes this.