The streettrackercafehotrod-Aermacchi/HD "ST"-250

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Quickv4, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>That's gotta be a blast to ride! Nice work.

<BR>
  2. Quickv4

Quickv4 Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer:
    Dickinson, Nort' Dakohtah- Orig. from Wiscowsin
    ARRRRGGGHH!

We got the tank decals put on last night, getting closer and closer to getting the thing on the road.

So I then get it fired up this morning to tune it even closer to perfection (still very slow rev'ing from off-idle) I play with the jetting on the idle circuit, the screws, what have you, it DOES NOT make a difference wheather I have a 60 or 55 in, 2 turns out, 0, or 6. It will still not idle properly below 1500, and the adjustments have no effect.

So I sit on it for the rest of the day, and I think TIMING, thats what it must be! Advancing it a smidge will help, since we are running 110 leaded. SO I pull off the lefthand engine cover (easy feat mind you).

I rotate the flywheel by hand to get the timing marks lined up....

and I notice ALOT of sideways play through the rotor!!! DAMMIT!!!! Our crank pin broke its welds loose!!

I bet that thing was just flopping around at idle, messing with the timing, which might explain why it was so un-tunable at low RPMS

We had the crank trued and welded (a few pin welds around) last spring. $75 down the tubes, and now we gotta figure out what to do next. We are pretty cash-strapped right now, so I guess she'll have to wait for our next move.

I guess now we can still get the poor bike's carcass complete, so that when we get the engine fixed up right again, we can just plop it right in and ride.
  3. DCopp

DCopp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that blows a goat dude. sorry to hear it.
  4. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    My word, has it been over a year! Time for an update...

We now had the money to follow through and get the darn thing properly repaired.

So I split the cases and pulled the crank out of the engine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For sure, the welds were broken on the one side!

So I boxed it up and sent it to Falicon

http://www.faliconcranks.com/index.html

A week later, we got the call from Raphael at Falicon. They could rebuild it! But, due to it running out of true for that time, the con rod big end was scored. The pin also rocked in the crankaft end, and would have to be bored through to a bigger straght pin (currently running a stepped crank pin)

Problem is, ALL of the parts sources for the MX 250 con rods are DRY. Nowhere to be found.

But a rumor was that a vintage CAN AM 370 rod has the same bearing sizes, and is only one mm longer! Due to the 370 being a rotax, parts are still available! Hot dog! Only mod to make it work in athe MX 250 engine is then a 1mm shim in between the cylinder and case.

So today I called up Tony Murphy in Cali, a vintage CAN AMparts supplier, He had a NEW can am 370 rod/bearing/pin/shim set IN STOCK. I told Tony to order that sucker up and send it to Falicon.

So it looks like we are heading in the right direction!
  5. nsu max

nsu max Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clapKeep it coming!!
  6. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:

i have a sherpa s setup street tracked - i had it setup for dirt with 18 and 21 - now it has ds tires on it - gotta swap the 19" front wheel back in and it'll be neato. it's wicked fast on the pipe. was planning on putting total loss lighting on it and terrorize the streets. or sell it :D
  7. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    Thanks bomber!

We actually know Sonny, all of us Aermacchi guys are pretty tight-knit. He does really good restorations! I have checked with all of the major parts suppliers stateside ( Moto Italia, Charleston Custom Cycle) and MX 250 internal engine parts are almost dried up. This engine was made really for only one year (1978).

I will be ordering a pile of misc. parts from Moto Italia soon though!:clap
  9. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    Buy it, you wont regret it! Our stock SS 250 has been rock solid reliable, just use blue loctite on everything! Dellorto Carburetors, Electronic ignition, Betor , Ceriani, or Marzocchi forks, Veglia gauges, whats not to like? 95% of wear items you can still get with ease/
  10. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    A little update, you guys need one

Still Waiting on the crank from Falicon. They got the CanAm conrod from Tony Murphey and have made some progress on it. Some factory racers have taken precedence over me, and they say they want to take their time with my crank, so its done right, since it is such an odd-ball, one-off job.

I have been getting many small things done while waiting for the crank. Finished the kickstand, so now the bike can stand on its own.

One moderate accomplishment, I made the subframe/tailsection to hold the rear of the seat up and mount the taillight too...

[​IMG]

Showing it mating up with seatpan...

[​IMG]

I can remove the seat by undoing ONE bolt from the bottom near the end of the tail-section ( you may be able to see the hole) it taps into a OEM threaded boss in the seat pan.

Remember the fend/brace? Well, I lightend it even MORE and did the final welding...

[​IMG]

bottom showing lightend brace...

[​IMG]

welded up original holes, fender will be totally smooth!

[​IMG]

And finally, what the rolling frame looks like today....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fettled up many minor things. Installed a Italian-made twist throttle, polished the fork legs and wheels. Rigged up the front brake.

MANY little things to do while waiting for the crank.
  11. StreetTracker

StreetTracker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, Hello Everyone who has found this thread! This is QuickV4's father, "StreetTracker" , Mark. It is good to actually sit down and finish reading this thread my son had started over a year ago.

This bike is actually 27 years in the making. It had a long rest after the crank failed the first time in 1987. But it was so unique, I never gave up on it. Family life was more important for the past 20 years, but I guess my son has gained an appreciation for my my old bike, an incredible fact him being almost the same age I was in 1984! .

I originally was going to make it more traditional in looks, more like the real shorttracker (with tail section) or more like the "barebones" 83 XLX Sportster. But I like the way it is turning out, it is gaining its own character, week by week.

The update: crank is still not here, plenty of other things to work on. Holes, long planned, are being drilled, many in the same place I had thought of, or even in better places~! Purists need not worry. No immaculate stock parts are being mutilated. I have had plenty of beat-up duplicates that have gained a new life!

Please be patient (I have :) ), Jerry has other interests as well, and I have to work, lately, too much! We will try to post updates when we can!
  12. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    Got the rear brake lever lightened. There is something so satisfying about artfully drilling holes in metal!

Order- Stock, good condition w/ pad; Stock,Poor condition; Lightend "Competition" lever

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:evil
  13. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    UPDATE 10/21

Steady progress has been made in waiting for the crankshaft to be done, here is some updated pics from the past few weeks.

Front brake strut dilled and painted, rear brake lever painted and mounted.

Yes I know, the front brake strut looks like an Elsie Stick! :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    Here is the second part of the update. I have now started to work on the the footpegs. They are forged steel HD made, with some casting defects. I took some not-so-perfect examples from our parts bin and have been shaving them down and smoothing them for strength, much like a forged connecting rod. I have been taking metal off where I think is appropriate and safe, and dilling holes in the right places. Another few ounces here and there goes along way ( but of course I could just lose more weight myself) Drilling holes is so much fun!

Stock peg w/rubber

[​IMG]

Polished yoke

[​IMG]

polished and drilled peg

[​IMG]

The group ( not a very good pic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    Rear bake light mounted. Used rubber innertube for rubber-mounted interface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the rear Elsie Sti-----erm brake strut

[​IMG]
  16. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    BIG HONKIN' HAPPY SUPER

DUPER UPDATE

Raphael from Falicon Cranks called me up....

THE CRANK IS DONE AND IS SHIPPED, and should

be here next Wednesday!

A CanAM 370 connecting rod has been successfully grafted into my Aermacchi crankshaft halves.

The owner of Falicon himself did it, since my crank was such an oddball build ( they are more used to GSXR cranks and the like)

Price for crankshaft split, bore out for bigger pin, true and weld, $191 out the door! Pretty good deal, I was fearing more!
  17. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    Cleaning and preppring the cases...

[​IMG]
  18. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    Got the crankshaft! It looks pretty, have the video do the talking...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VvEEiZKrE2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j7l4ofQ3lAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    i been fahlohing this thread for awhIIIle nahoh. didn't nohtice where you were fruhm until i played the videoh. Say hi to my cousins for me wouldya?

oh, and nahoh we can finally see this thing come together, eh?
  20. Quickv4

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, took me a bit to understand what you were getting at Dorzok. :wink::lol3 I am a sconnie, thats for sure! We drink from bubblers, and throw pennies into water fountains here. LOL Yes, it is coming together, so excited. I know there are more lurkers on this thread judging by the view count.

Today, attempting to powdercoat some misc things, and build a blasting cabinet!