1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

The struggle for Canadians to race internationally.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CDN Rick, Feb 8, 2021.

1. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    If you follow any sort of competition motorcycling in Canada, you've probably asked why it's so disjointed. It doesn't take much searching to figure out what has been going on (or the lack thereof) for decades now.

The MCC is gaining steam to take over as the affiliate organization to the FIM, but a recent ruling (due to abstaining members) by the FIM has been a setback.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Here is the link to a recent press release by the MCC to help explain their position.

https://www.motorcycling.ca/media-r...LxEEPtSPBQXfZw-tlnqIGq5jvAOgBVLfKWV8j6fiG5TRE
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  2. cedric

cedric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the CMA thinking here? Don't really get it...
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe @Hollyr can shed some light on the situation? I’m pretty sure she’s the CEO of CMA....

I had contact with MCC during my time as a Board Member for NSORRA. They seem to have the best interests of the industry and riders in mind.
  4. EightTwentySix

EightTwentySix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the local off-road race series ended their affiliation with the CMA for 2021 and now uses the licensing and insurance of the larger series in the province (which dumped the CMRC a few years ago in favour of their own licensing and insurance). Not sure what their motivation was but after reading that article, it makes sense to do so.

I have heard a lot of things about the CMA’s conduct in the past from others but have no direct experience outside of using their license to race. Oddly enough, I did not receive any renewal information from them last year.
  5. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Ontario's Offroad community dumped the CMA for the most part a few years ago.
    We've seen nothing but increases in riders, races, and more riding area's being opened.
    From new trails, new rider friendly laws, increases in bike sales, and more races and rides than ever.

As an Ontario based offroad rider. I can't say I've seen any positive affects of the CMA's doing in our area. I'm personally working with the government to work on the "under 150cc" insurance issues we're having. Where is the CMA on that? From what I can find they haven't even contacted the Ontario government about it.

I'd love to hear from someone at the CMA who can set me straight and tell me what they're doing for us as riders, But it appears whoever it was you tagged doesn't want to post here either. There profile says they've been online a recent as 10 minutes ago as of this post, but no response to this issue.

Hopefully your dealings with the MCC would be indicative of their work if they can manage to take things over with the FIM.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  6. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Announcement from the CMA today.
    http://www.directmotocross.com/mari...M7hhnEQEuIJzLKqnEtwS5s5T_5HKDd2O_drvReUsgy0Dg

"Marilynn Bastedo who has been at the top of the Canadian Motorcycle Association‘s (CMA) board since just about anyone can remember has retired from her position.

From the CMA:

It is with mixed emotions that we announce that Marilynn Bastedo has retired from her position as CEO of the Canadian Motorcycle Association.

A full biography will follow, but as most of you know, Marilynn has dedicated her life to improving conditions for motorcyclists in Canada. Her many awards attest to the impact she has had on both the motorcycling and the wider community.

We wish Marilynn a long and happy retirement. Cards can be sent to the office. Best Wishes can be sent to any of the emails on our website or to our Facebook page and they will be passed along to Marilynn.

Recently, positions have changed at the CMA offices:

In addition, the Board Officers have changed as follows:

• President: Hugh Lim
    • Vice President: Derek Thomas
    • Treasurer: Vera Godsall
    The role of Secretary continues to be incorporated in the duties of the CEO. The acting CEO for 2021 is Holly Ralph."