The Successes and Failures of a Wanna Be Endurance Rider.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NewYorkLuke, Nov 26, 2018.

1. NewYorkLuke

NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where to begin. . . Where to begin. . .

My name is Luke, I'm 32 years old and live in upstate New York.

I started riding motorcycle about 14 years ago. I was going to community college living the pretty average broke college kid life. First day, of my first summer break my two roommates, Chris and Matt, showed up with motorcycles. I knew I had to have one.

So began the process of talking my dad into co-signing a loan. My father was. . . we'll say frugal my entire adolescent and early adult life. Talking him into risking his perfect credit score on me was no easy feet. But for some reason he eventually folded and the shopping began.

I knew I had to have a street bike, because girls dig street bikes. and I knew I had to have a Honda, because Chris rode a Honda and he was the group motor head.

After a short time searching I found a 2004 Honda F4i, yellow and black. With some help from my dad I negotiated a price that lefty me enough money for a new rear tire when the time came.

Shortly there after most of our close friends got motorcycles and a group of 5 or 6 of us would meet at Hess on Main Street to go for rides. Those rides quickly became to short for me and the time spent waiting at Hess to long for me.

Chris and I broke off from the group to do longer rides. 200 miles in a day, 300 miles in a day 500 miles in a day. For rain gear we would slip on a dollar store poncho and put a belt around out waists to help stop the flapping.

The 2nd season came and now even Chris didn't want to ride as much as I did. I was riding in the rain just for the change of pace.

Several years go by, 10's of thousands of miles pass. A bunch of tires, gallons and gallons of gas and even a couple crashed bikes.

I start feeling a need to go further, see more ride more miles, more roads I have never seen. I stumble across ADVRider.com. Now the times, I cant spend riding, I spend reading about riding. The obsession grows. The need to see more, do more and ride more takes hold. I start taking multi day trips. Sorting and sifting through riding gear, helmets, boots , gloves until I find what works.

Now here I am 14 years later about 200,000 miles under my belt and a new obsession had taken hold. The idea of riding a saddle sore has appealed to me since the first time I heard about it. But just recently I came to the realization that I was to ride dozens of saddle sores, attempt many other certified rides and compete in rallies.

So I started searching the internet, advrider and the IBA forum. I signed up for the Big Money Rally and have several others I plan on attending this summer. I also plan on taking my 15000 miles a year habit to at least 30000 miles in 2019.

This thread is for my sake, to keep me honest and on track. There are few motivators as good as public knowledge. I started by telling people at work my plans. But mos of this dreams are lost on people who have never ridden a motorcycle.

Sooo. . . here it all is, or will be. Laid out in front of a group of true motorcyclist. Some of who are already greats in the endurance riding world. For anyone who cares to follow along, offer advice, meet me along the way, cheer me on or even shame me.

Up next my bikes.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck. Ride safe and far. Enjoy.
    bobw likes this.
  3. doppler94

doppler94 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You surely got the spirit! Go for it, enjoy and always keep safe.
  4. MileEater4ever

MileEater4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hook up with the IBA group / organized rides - that's the most fun way to do it IMO.

Just finished the Great Lakes series of SS1000 rides this year. (Individual rides around Huron, Michigan, Superior and the Lower GL - Erie and Ontario together) Also did the Yooper Madness SS1000 (all in Michigan, most on the U.P.) But the one I enjoyed the most was the Great Lakes Challenge - around all 5 Great Lakes in 4 days - at 750-ish miles per day, it allows for some "flower-sniffing" time along the way. Enjoy your passion - there's nothing like it!
  5. peejayess

peejayess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm coming with you ...
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I like where this is going! I've been riding for 51 years and I am still learning and changing. Here's a cheer to your future rides and I'll be following along to learn a thing or two. :lurk
    bobw likes this.
  7. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Big +1 to all the above!

In!
    :lurk
    JB2 likes this.
  8. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all the support !! I will be getting to the bike post very soon.
  9. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    First up, my 2018 Harley Road Glide Special. I know this site isn't exactly crawling with Harley lovers, and it wouldn't be my first choice for an endurance motorcycle, buy my girlfriend loves it and loves to travel so it gives me more excuses to ride. All stock except the tour pack to keep her comfortable and the RDL saddle that's in the mail.

View attachment 1443868

View attachment 1443871
  10. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the insanity that is LD riding! I've got 3 Saddle Sore rides under my belt in the past 4 years and even though I've been riding for over 30 years the long distance stuff is sort of new to me. Look into Tour of Honor and consider participating in it. Great event that gives you the opportunity to do some IBA rides combined with aspects of rallying and a list of destinations to visit. My g/f and I just submitted the photos and paperwork for the IBA Pressed Penny Insanity Challenge and are planning to try their National Parks Tour next year. My personal mileage has gone up almost every year for the past 4 or 5 years and I'm currently at 23k so far year to date. I ride every day and am currently on day 619 consecutive ride of 10 miles or more on the street without fail.
    bobw likes this.
  11. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    This all sounds great. I have been reading up in the pressed penny challenge and the National parks tour a lot. I am hoping to complete a national parks tour in 2019 as well as participate in a bunch of rallies. Maybe I’ll see you at one of the!
  12. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    I just saw on one of the Iron Butt Facebook groups that today is the last day the parks service has the passport books on sale for 35% off so if you're considering that tour, grab a book today!

I've done the Mason-Dixon 20/20 and Void rallies for the last several years and have a ride report or two posted here.
  13. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:

I will buy a book right now, thank you. I plan on doing the void rally and if I can manage to get the time off work I will do the Mason-dixon as well.
  14. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Glad to be of help! If there's anything I can do to help you out or if I can answer any questions please feel free to PM me. I've found that to be one of the coolest things with IBA riders and ralliers is the willingness to share information, offer assistance, and just generally allow you to learn from their mistakes to help you avoid making your own. LOL. Believe me when you do your first rally you'll make mistakes of your own!

BTW, rallying and IBA rides on a Harley? There are more than you'd think! I'm friends with Chris Comly a 2 time IBR finisher who does the rally on a Sportster that now has 240k miles on it.

Pressed Penny Challenge is a blast! Probably the toughest part of that ride is getting pennies from 5 states west of the Mississippi River. We combined that with a planned FJR forum meet being held in Spearfish, SD in June. Took a northerly route out getting pennies in MN, SD, and WY then came home a more southern route to pick up NE, and IA. 5013 miles in just over 12 days, 2 up. We picked up 44 pennies and 21 TOH memorials on that vacation.
    NewYorkLuke likes this.
  15. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    I signed up for TOH today its gunna be a blast and also a major plus that they help some really great charities.
    BkerChuck likes this.
  16. BkerChuck

Oddometer:
    Good for you signing up for TOH! My g/f and I are flags 188 and 189 for 2019. Maybe we can coordinate a site visit and meet up?
  17. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    Yes we should plan a meet up for sure !
  18. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    All signed up for heart of Texas rally !
  19. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    I am flag 197!
  20. NewYorkLuke

Oddometer:
    So far my 2019 riding season calendar (will update as I sign up for things)

Results
    January 1, 2019 Start of Big Money Rally TBD
    April 1, 2019 Start of Tour of Honor TBD
    May 4, 2019 Heart of Texas 12 hour Rally TBD