The Supermotard Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Weirdo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mikejohn

mikejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    But what a way to go
    thebigman, Mobil1 and STANIMAL like this.
  2. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    My 2 SMs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    thebigman, Thumperama and STANIMAL like this.
  3. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    ^^^ very nice !
  4. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^&

Yep , gotta say so myself .
  5. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    not your everyday SM. my new '16 Zero FX-S

FXS2.jpg

my new favorite thing is parking lot racing. i find a big, empty lot, hit it early in the am before anyone is awake, and turn as many laps as i want. no one cares, no one hears me, notta. it is sooooooooo nice. a little clip of me playing around on it. i will be taking it to the real race track this saturday night. can't wait!

laters,

laramie :beer
  6. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    Can't beat that kind of fun with a stick .:clap

Guess I'll have to look into something like that .

What we looking like $$$$$ wise to get into this ?
  7. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    this is their cheapest, lightest, slowest, least powerful bike they make. with that said....it still has 70ft/lbs of torque instantly, 49 HP, and weighs in @ 283 lbs.

the bike is also not cheap up front, but will make up for it due to lack of gas, oil, filters, plugs, clutches, hours of engine maintenance, ......and so on.

my total out the door for the 6.5 version (2 battery vs. 1 battery) with a speed charger, licence, set-up, and all that jazz came in @ $13,000. before you freak though, the Fed gov will give you 10% back on the bike, and 30% back on any charging equipment when you file your taxes. Zero also is giving a "fuel for life" incentive where they give you a gift card for $650-$1000 (depending on model) to cover the cost of charging the bike for it's life. so, if you add all that up it brings the total back down to about $10,500.

and yes, it is that much fun to ride. every person i have put on it, you can hear giggling like a schoolgirl as the fly down the street. they get back with a huge smile on their face and start talking about the acceleration. then i tell them it's in "custom" mode and i have purposely limited the power to 40% with the bluetooth app and their eyes get really big! if they are brave and i trust them enough, then i let them try eco and sport mode.

speaking of the bluetooth, i have all my current performance stats;

747 total miles
    26.0 kW Hours Used
    35 Avg. Watt hrs. per/ Mile
    $54 save on gas vs. typical bike @32 mpg
    $0.04 cost per mile
    469 lbs CO2 reduced vs Gas

laters,

Tarmac Kid, ACR and Earth Rider like this.
  8. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you want the range of 2 batteries instead of 1? Could you slide one out and ride it with just 1? I would have thought for a supermoto the lighter weight might be preferable. My supermoto only has a 1.5 gal tank.

EDIT: just googled and you only get half the HP out of the single-battery 3.3 model!
  9. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    yes, you only get half the HP but still get the 70ft/lbs at 40lbs lighter! :nod

as you now know, yes you can pull one battery. if off-road pull the front to lighten the front wheel for wheelies and crossings. if riding SM pull the back to keep weight on the front tire for the turns.

i spoke to our local track yesterday and they confirmed they do have access to power for charging. so today i am going to try and figure out how to source the electrical parts to build my own connector to charge the battery outside the bike. this would allow me to have one battery out, charging on my speed charger, while i was racing with the other.

zero makes one, but it costs $140

[​IMG]
    as for range....

depending upon how you ride it, the range can vary from 50-80 miles. i think i could get 100 if careful, but it would take some work. these bikes are the exact opposite of internal combustion engines. they do much better and stop and go and have a hard time with the full speed, long distance shots. at constant, high speeds you are draining the battery as quick as possible with no regenerative input back from the bike. in the stop and go, every time you let off the throttle or hit the brakes, the bike is making power to put back into the system. there are 2 stages of regen braking, stage 1 is off-throttle which imitates engine braking, stage 2 is actual braking. both of these can be controlled and modified with the app along with max torque, max power, and max speed. if you use the regen wisely they say you can add almost 20% to your ride. like i said, i run a "custom" mode that has me @ 40% max torque and HP, top speed limited to 60mph, and both Regen's set to 100%. this still allows me to get through traffic with ease but also makes a huge difference when just cruising and not needing all that power. if you find you need it, just push the mode button once and you're in sport.

as for re-charging; with the on board charger you can go from 0 - 100% in about 8 hrs. with the addition of 1 speed charger it drops to 3.5hrs. you can hook up to 4 external speed chargers at a time dropping the charge time to 1hr if you had the money. dream would be to have 2 sets of batteries, but that would cost another $5000.

laters,

Tarmac Kid likes this.
  10. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just pay the $140! It's electricity! It's mysterious! I wish I were kidding.
  11. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    ya, but it's money and the only thing mysterious about that is how quickly it disappears.

unfortunately i struck out today at the electrical supply store. usually elliots electronics has just about everything you could want, but this was a no go. the clerk left me message to call him back though, so i hope that means there may be other options. everyone of the tech's about shit their pants when i walked in the door with one of the batteries. everyone one of them you could tell instantly wanted to be a part of solving this problem. they loved looking at the bike and hearing about it. i love seeing/enabling the geeky guys to get in on some POWER! makes them happy and they are a wonderful resource to have.

i was able to find 1 side i needed just by google, it priced at about $12. that would be 1/2 of the unit, if i can get the other half for under $20, then get it wired, i might just start selling them. but that is another day...

good news was today was my longest foray out on the bike. i still can't believe the "range anxiety" i get. i knew full well i had been over half the way before on previous rides and barely used 20% so i don't know why i was sweating it so much. something i am slowly getting over. anyways, i rode the entire way in my custom mode and on my return i was still well over 50% S.O.C. (state of charge) as i was approaching the parking lot track i posted in the video. i decided why not burn a few laps while i'm here. it was now 11am and all the business were open and busy. didn't matter though, no one noticed, no one cared. i entered the lot with 52% SOC and burnt about 15 hot laps in sport mode. as i rolled out i was still at 48% so said wtf, and sport mode-ed it the last few miles home having a blast.

as i rolled into my garage i was @ 42% SOC and plugged in the on board charger and the speed charger. with just the on board it predicted a full SOC in 4hr. 40 min, when i plugged the speed charged in, it dropped to 2hr. 15 min. bike is now sitting in the garage fully charged and ready to go again.

total trip was 40 miles

next time i will talk about, the bliss of silence....and the wonders it allows. :rilla

laters,

ps- go to the Zero website, do a dealer search. there aren't many but if there is one near you, you would be a fool to not go for a test ride. all you need is a moto endorsed driver's licence and an insurance card. they will let you ride ANY bike they got. the dealers typically have 3 -4 models available, usually the hot ones, SR and DS-R, and an FXS. i personally have ridden every bike in their 2016 lineup including the Police bike, i'm only missing the MMX. that one is not available to the public for sale and instead is what SEAL teams ride out the back of airplanes w/ parachutes for silent insertions.
  12. Mobil1

Mobil1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

View attachment 555650

There's a LOT of virgin rubber on the sides of those tires. :fpalm Maybe you ladies should be riding Harleys. :imaposer
  13. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Thats pretty interesting Laramie.
    My kid has one of the little electric OSET bikes. I specifically bought it for him bc of the lack of noise. Lets us get away riding in places where we would normally have trouble riding a dirtbike.
    Makes me think about getting some sort of adult sized version. There are so many local places I could probably get away with riding.
    Without having to haul my normal dirtbike 1.5 hours away.
  14. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Maybe Suzuki’s Electric “Grom Killer”

[​IMG]
    When the Honda Grom debuted in 2013, the other Japanese manufacturers took note. The first copycat was Kawasaki, which earlier this year debuted the Kawasaki Z125 Pro, but we shouldn’t forget the fact that Suzuki brought out its EXTRIGGER concept at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show, as well.
    Listening to our calls, the Suzuki EXTRIGGER coming to market seems to be getting more likely now, as Suzuki has filed for patents in the China, Europe, and the United States for the plucky electric machine. Just in time, to battle with the freshly updated Honda Grom.
    With the Honda Grom showing great sales success and the Kawasaki Z125 Pro debuting to favorable reviews, there appears to be a demand for small unassuming motorcycles in markets that are normally dominated by big-displacement machines.
    Suzuki’s choice of an electric power plant suits the intended uses of the EXTRIGGER, with short in-town trips, pit-bike duties, and general tomfoolery do not require the massive battery packs that most street machines will need in order to be competent machines.
    Judging by the timing of the patent applications, we could see the Suzuki EXTRIGGER as a production model as early as this Fall/Winter, as a 2017 model. Stay tuned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...r/#more-114447
  15. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a question if anyone knows, what is the life expectancy of the batterys? Will they need to be replaced at say 10k or 20K miles at a cost of five large? Will they slowly loose charging capability like my cell phone or lap top and reduce range? Not trolling but serious questions, electric bikes, and cars interest me.
  16. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    battery will last 200,000 miles with over 80% efficiency. they are guaranteed for 5 yrs. 100,000 miles by Zero and can be upgraded in the future if you choose. in 5 yrs, if you decide you want new batteries, buy them. they will be lighter, more powerful, last longer, and charge quicker. it would be an instant performance upgrade to your bike.

i would like to see some specs on that little suzuki. looks fun but i doubt it has the power or range.

laters,

17. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thank you.
  18. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of those is definitely on my list. It will probably take me a year or two to gather the $ but the e-bike advantages for shorter trips, playing around, and a little racing are too great to ignore. Along with the Zero I am tempted by the new kid on the block. http://www.altamotors.co/machine/redshift-sm/

[​IMG]

It will take a few test drives to see where my moto-lust takes me. I think I might find myself in Missoula later this summer.
  19. laramie LC4

Oddometer:
    ya, those ALTA's are pretty cool, but you think my bike was expensive....

i do like the "lift the front wheel whenever you want" statement though. i guess my only complaint about my bike is they have fiddled with the electronics enough to keep idiots from ham fistting the throttle and killing themselves, that it takes some work to wheelie. it can do it, it just isn't as easy as just hammering the throttle.

now to the bliss of silence....

to this day it still kills me as i am sitting at the stop light waiting, everyone in there cars are around are doing what they do, engines running, stereo playing, all the traffic noise, then your silence. just sitting there like a pocket of air. you catch people looking at you with a puzzled look. they can tell something's different about you and the bike, but they can't place it. they just kinda stare. then the one's that figure it out, they get this light bulb look on their face and start smiling. they usually give me a thumbs up or a big nod of the head as we take off.

i used to ride my 990R to work every morning. i leave for work around 5:45 monday-friday. i used to go through sooooo much effort to try and sneak that fucking bike out of the neighborhood. i could barely warm it up due to it's twin CF rally pipes and open intake, even at idle it's not quiet. i always felt bad for the old guy next door. now i roll out the door with no need to "warm up the engine" and can hear the birds chirping as i roll down the street without a soul in the world being upset by my motorcycle. this i think is one of the things i LOVE most about this bike.

so quickly burn my 7 miles ride to work, open the doors to the building, and then ride my bike down the hallway to my room. at the end of the day, with the building now full of people, i roll it out into the hallway, close my door, get on and ride it back out the building saying hi to everyone as i go by, most people go out of there way to hold open the few doors for me. then smile and say "have a nice day." don't even get me started on what the kids who see this think....

i double-dog dare you to don that on any other bike.

now to the demo day. like i mentioned i was the lead rider and was being followed every 20mins by another 4 people. the course was roughly 7 miles in length and included a freeway frontage road, local town roads, and a small rural stretch. we started at 9am and road until 2pm without changing the route. i'm not going to admit to breaking the law, but let's say we took a liberal interpretation of the speed limit signs. not once did we get any comments from anyone or any looks, or anything. all we got were positive comments from people at lights that could not believe how quick they were, or how cool they were, or how quiet they were. all day long, not a policeman was seen, not a ticket was given.

20160402_090639.jpg

by now you are well aware of my new love of parking lot racing. if you have never done it, i highly recommend if you can. i use google earth to search the local area, when i find something, i then switch to google pedometer and and map out and distance the track. i have 4 current tracks built, each a little different, with different asphalt surfaces to provide some variety. i usually hit them first thing in the morning when it is quiet and not many people are out. it's also not 100 degrees which is nice as well. the only person so far who has said anything was a little lady walking her dog. i came around a turn and saw them standing at the edge of where i was heading. i quickly stopped and apologized. she said no problem, he just doesn't like that weird electrical sound you're making, he doesn't know what it is. i smiled and waited as she and the dog walked away, then went back to racing.

noise exhaustion is a thing incase you don't know. i have experienced it many times on long days on the 990. add that to the vibrations of a bike and it can really kick you in the head. now with my neck injury, vibrations are a death kill. this is one thing i will never worry about with this bike. not only is it almost silent, it also has NO vibrations. one guy described it like sliding your butt down a sheet of ice it was so smooth. granted with the limited range, you're probably never gonna have a long day like that but it's still good to know. the bike does make some noise, don't get me wrong, but the wind is louder than any noise the bike makes over 30mph. i cannot even hear the bike when i let people ride it until it is within 20 yrd. and then it's just a little electrical "whirl."

now to the down point which i'm guessing some may have already considered, being silent makes it even harder for people to see you. i have had many close calls with people not seeing me. everything from honking my horn and yelling, to kicking the side of a car. you have to be very aware of this and the nature of the bike. it wants to go fast, it can't help that it's silent, it just wants to go and as soon as you get on it, so do you. it is very easy to get sucked into shooting gaps, and riding aggressively in traffic. please be careful...

still going to try and hit the track tomorrow night. will report back when i do.

laters,

MacMan and thebigman like this.
  20. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to think motorcycles were expensive but then I helped my son with college. $5,000, $20,000, $90,000 used to seem like a lot of $. Not so much anymore. It changes your perspective and that of the CFO which can be a benefit when shopping for a new bike.

These e-bikes are not gonna save any lives but they've not gonna piss people off either. Being invisible works two ways. Cars may not notice you as readily (not that they ever have) but you've got all the playgrounds like parking lots to play and nobody notices you.