The Supermotard Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Weirdo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    unfortunately i was not able to make the track yesterday. we are experiencing record heat and the temp last night @ 8pm was still over 100. i called the track and he reported track temps over over 130 and said nobody was racing. i decided to save my time effort and hydration for another time.

was able to build myself a set of sliders though. been frustrated trying to find a commercial set that would work and somewhere read about guys using skateboard wheels. so i rolled into the local skate shop, grabbed some bones, and made some sliders.

20160619_071609.jpg

same for the rear axle i just ended up about an inch short on my threaded rod to complete them. i'm going to go buy another today and finish it up.

also went out to my favorite little track this morning. got there around 5:45 and raced for about an hour. once again the only thing that minded was the little old ladies dog. as soon as i saw them i stopped and smiled. she waved and then kept on walking. think i'm actually starting to get the hang of the SM stuff, or at least i'm having so much fun i feel like i am. spent the morning really working on my corner angles and carrying my speed through the turns. this bike is so easy to get into a point and shoot mindset due to it's accel that you really have to focus on being smooth and not stop and go. by the looks of my front tire i am getting better though.

laters,

laramie :beer
    thebigman and Mobil1 like this.
  2. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need a new plunger for the front brake master of my 2010 Husqvarna SMR510 and I am having trouble finding one in the US.

The Husky part# is 8000A9350
    http://shop.italhusky.com/en/products/2012/txc-449-511-1/front-brake-255

AOMC has a page for it but says it is discontinued
    http://www.ktm-parts.com/8000A9350.html

But it is a Brembo brake. There must be 1000 other bikes that use the same part, if I could figure out which ones?

Same issue with the levers, I would like to get some shorty CNC levers. I expect it to be somewhat difficult since the front brake is a Brembo street setup while the clutch is a Magura thumper setup but I need to identify some more common bikes that used the same parts.
  3. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    Did you try Halls in Springfield IL ?
  4. Glenn141

Glenn141 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    heres my Mint 06 smc625[​IMG]
    joe cool, thebigman, jekaio and 3 others like this.
  5. Glenn141

Glenn141 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and another pic on the dragon![​IMG]
  6. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Glenn.

i had completely forgotten about this thread.

i actually had the Zero out at the track for real. this track was the host of the 2015 AMA SM Championships. the first time i was by myself and ran the track in one direction. this was my first time ever actually trying SM on a real track.

my best lap = 1.10.57 min

2 weeks later i went back and there were 4 others at the track and they wanted to run in the opposite direction. i couldn't do the dirt section due to my belt, so i kinda skewed things a bit. three of the riders were real racers, one a former AMA, the other a current AMA SM. they also had race slicks and tire warmers....

my telemetry as you can see in the video failed, but i know i was way faster.

also learned A LOT about the bike and its limitations. when i was cool (battery and motor), and fully charged i was quicker than all of them. they were just better racers. i quickly started running into temp issues though. the motor would limit due to temps on the straights after 4 laps. the batteries got so hot from discharge they didn't want to recharge, then when they did and went back in the bike, they were to hot again and limited again. if i had another 4 batteries i'd be golden. to bad that only a slim $10,000. i am working on a few ideas to help with cooling of the battery once off-the bike and charging (gotta pull them, in the bike there is not enough air) but that means i loose access to the on-board charger and instead will have to use speed chargers. i had 1 that i bought with the bike ($600), and then acquired another from someone you bought but never used. now i just need to build some cables to make it all work, get a large cooler, some dry ice, and ...... cross fingers. :photog

laters,

laramie :beer
  7. godzuki

godzuki live better speed more

Oddometer:
    I have a question on the tires people are using....yes I know tires are like opions and assholes everybody has one, but I picked up a 06 525 exc that also came with a SM set up and it has a old set of Michelin storms ultras I think. anyway im going to be using it on a off in super moto form but a lot of that will be in southern IN or the moutains further south, or way up north in MI where there are also decent twistys. as I know from reading these bikes do not but a hurting on their tires like a sport bike does. so give me like top 3 you would use on the street, there will be a off chance ill take it to a track day with my 1000 but I wont be pushing like im racing so anything you guys run on the street would work I do not need slicks or DOT race tires.
    just top 3 and why.
  8. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:

Nice bike, so clean!! The chain sure looks tight though, check the manual, you should be able to push it up to touch the swingarm!
  9. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    Pandora's box has been opened . Conti SM , Michelin Pilot Powers and Bridgestone BT003 . I sell a lot of those for motards . IMO , all will serve you well .
  10. Chris618

Chris618 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2006 with 1000 miles. Sad I don't have time to ride it. 20150525_184247.jpg
    strongbad and Glenn141 like this.
  11. Adventure Attack

Adventure Attack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Laramie

I had a Zero FXS for two weeks, great fun commuting to work but I also joined a supermoto race on a very hot day. Bad idea, it constantly overheated and I ended the day lowsiding into a curb on the street track(bit too much sand on the asphalt). If you live in the city it really is a fun bike.

[​IMG]
    Chris618 likes this.
  12. Glenn141

Glenn141 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Old school drool tool.[​IMG]
    Bitingdog, Chris618, WRW9751 and 3 others like this.
  13. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks evil. I will show it to my mate who has just about resurrected his PE400 X, he's just waiting for new reeds.. It's registered so it could go back on the road........... I'm keen to watch.
  14. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    I love me some SM.

FB_IMG_1485518372171.jpg FB_IMG_1485518381327.jpg FB_IMG_1485518394601.jpg
    pigjockey and Thumperama like this.
  15. cpr1

cpr1 Ouch!

Oddometer:
    IMG_0105.JPG
    JCool and thebigman like this.
  16. Brakelate

Brakelate Supermoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My two Supermotos over at the Willow Springs Kart Track a few years back now. '09 DRZ-SM & '05 KTM 525 SMR.

Currently slowly tinkering with my KTM 1290R Super Dukie. Seems to be slowly transforming into a BEASTLY Supermoto! WillowKart 003.jpg KIMG0243.jpg
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  17. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have thought a 1290R SuperDuke was beastly right out of the box?
    Race Ready likes this.
  18. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will let y'all decide how much emphasis to put on the super and tard of this...LOL chinese built 200cc tarded with ninja 250 rims, and tank swapped from a dr650 to make the range tolerable... 1 gallon tanks suck...
    [​IMG]
    Bucho and dsilver1007 like this.
  19. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're grinning, you're winning.
    Albie, Bucho and timeOday like this.
  20. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:

Cool man.
    10+ years ago I hated the idea of an electric bike. But the silent factor is just so cool. Im hoping later this year to get the OSET 20.0 for the wife and kid to ride. Im sure Ill be playing with it too!
    The only dirtbike in an HOA neighborhood that nobody has a problem with.