1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Supermotard Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Weirdo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Brakelate

Brakelate Supermoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One would think... but it really is quite a PussyCat, especially with all the various electronic "Nannies" up and running. Other than lofting the front wheel in every gear (I went -1T on the C/S Sprocket as well) it is absolutely up to the rider as to how it reacts. Somewhat like owning a Gun. It's not the bike that pulls the trigger.

But, by 'Beastly' and making it more Supermoto Oriented, I was thinking of something like the one set up for Ice Racing pictured below. OK, maybe just with some 'Racing Rain' GP tires on it rather than full block knobbies with studs, but by adding some Acerbis Handguards, seeing if the belly skid plate from the 1290 Super Adventure could be fabbed to fit, and gritting my teeth enough to let it get dirty and hit some smooth packed dirt sections with it. And maybe some nice rolling Table Tops like at Adams Kart Track in SoCal where I used to frequent before moving. But, out here, there are so many miles and miles of nice 'State Routes' and such that would be fun to ride on with it. As most really (in the right times of the year) could be ridden without a "Real" Dirt, Dual Sport or ADV bike. Most are run up and down by little rental cars - until it rains.

SDRKnobbies.jpg SDRKnobbies2.png SDRKobbies1.jpg
    woods wizard and Bitingdog like this.
  2. Brakelate

Oddometer:
    And to keep the thread headed in the right direction; A shot taken of me a couple years back at the race at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.

Qualcomm4.jpg
    Tarmac Kid, Bitingdog, Navin and 4 others like this.
  3. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is not a rhetorical question and I ask because you are considering dirtying up your 1290R... are there situations when a 150-180 HP 'hyperbike' is more fun than a thumper on dirt? I have an FE570 and don't remember ever being short of power to spin the rear wheel on dirt. I took it up to 97 mph on a dirt road on a 10psi trials tire once and don't need to again.

My son is outgrowing riding on the back for long trips and I am considering consolidating my R1200GS/DL650/640A/FE570/SM510R into fewer bikes. Maybe even just the V-Strom for commuting plus a 500EXC for all dirt. I enjoy carving fast paved canyon roads but I realized I don't want to die.
  4. Zach440

Zach440 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may be putting up for sale my mrdssw exhaust for my 2009 drz400sm. Quiet baffle, spark arrestor included. Garage kept ,like new condition . just under 2000 miles on pipe. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm. I figured people on the supermotard thread would be trying to squeeze every bit of power out of there drz' so this would be a good place to start .
  5. YamaLink

YamaLink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a 1290 owner (-1 c/s as well) and longtime firearm owner/competitor, I resemble your remark! Great post!!
    Bitingdog and Brakelate like this.
  6. Brakelate

Oddometer:
    In reality, for a sane person? NO. It is absolutely a Stupid idea. Completely wasteful and over the top for any Rational purpose. The evil motive behind it would be strictly the pleasure of foolish overkill. And kill it likely would. It would rank right up there with the guys who put Liter Bike and Hayabusa engines in their little shifter karts. A properly set up 125cc two stroke Kart would run circles around it at a proper track. But imagine the fun. Think Challenger Hellcat on two wheels, or when I would ride my CR500's on MX tracks rather than my dialed in KX125 back in the day.

The only semi-logical excuse I would have by making it 'Groomed Dirt' or 'Fire Road' Friendly would be to have some fun running the many dirt roads out here whenever the urge struck, doing the occasional Supermoto Track day with the dirt section open and blasting the paved sections. Or, just to have something crazy, unique and fun to play with that is a bit outside the box of traditional thinking. Plus it would be a legal way to really exercise the engine for all it is worth, somewhere other than on the few local Highways that the State Troopers, DPS, BLM, ADOT and the other various Sheriff or Police heavily patrol here.

I would be the first to admit it would be a very costly, illogical and risky thing to do. But isn't that the motivation behind a large number of folks on two wheels?

Another shameless Supermoto photo - just to keep the Admins from sniffing me out for derailing a thread.

SoCal1.jpg
    Bitingdog, timeOday and thebigman like this.
  7. Brakelate

Oddometer:
    Yamalink: "It was all I could do NOT to put a deposit for the '17 Husky 701 supermoto when buying the 701 Enduro."

Oh man, no kidding! But when I went looking for one, (perhaps fortunately) I couldn't find a single one out here. Not even in Vegas, Phoenix, or Los Angeles!
    Even their site shows the model, but the only information states "Unavailable".

That would be the perfect replacement for the DRZ-SM in my eyes. Sure, a KTM 690 Duke comes close, but it is just too street oriented to let my inner Hooligan shine.

And if I cannot even find a bike, how the hell would I fare attempting to find someone to do Warranty work on it, or purchase factory parts? I guess I should have just kept my KTM 525 SMR and plated it. AZ wouldn't care, but at the time, when I was in CA. it would have been a total nightmare.

050711.jpg
    Bitingdog likes this.
  8. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    20170205_155822.jpg
    Had my sumo set up on yesterday. I have no speedo on this set up.

Any cheap good speedo set ups? I would like to capture all of my milage between the set ups.

Attached Files:

Bitingdog, mr. coffee and Brakelate like this.
  9. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone using the trail tech enduro 2 and switching wheels?
  10. Guoseph

Guoseph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Trailtech Vapor and it worked well. Not sure how sturdy it is cuz I didn't own that particular bike for long.
  11. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you switch between 17 and 21 inch rims?
  12. Brakelate

Oddometer:
    I have seen plenty of Vapors on Supermotos as well as Desert Race bikes that have been beat to hell. No failures of the unit ever reported.

IMG_2276.jpg
  13. Guoseph

Guoseph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not but there is a function to do so on the Vapors.
  14. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:

For future reference, the front brake master piston for my 2010 Husqvarna SM510R is 13mm Brembo and the piston from most any KTM dirtbike rear brake master will fit. The rubber boot is a bit different so I used the old one which luckily came out without ripping. (The kit I used was actually a rear brake master piston for a Husaberg FE570 since I have that bike so I could use it if it didn't fit the Husky but I'm pretty sure the KTM are the same kit).

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The 13mm rear master piston is the right diameter, but too long. It fits in but won't retract far enough, so after you squeeze the brake it can't equalize the pressure and can't release the front brake! (Ended up limping into turn lane and loosening the bleed nipple to release the brake so I could get home). I couldn't find a match for sale so I cut the too-long piston in half, ground it down by a couple mm to match the old part in length, and glued the halves together with JB Weld. Not proud of it but all the force on the part is compression so I think it will hold. So far it works fine. Boy does this bike have strong brakes!
  15. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Then i must be the first .
    I have on one Bike a Vapor , the 3rd one already depend the first 2 fail plus every year that stupid batterie change .
    On two other bikes a Koso DB02 and a DB03 , Install and done . Look better too .
  16. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Is your 17 laced to a stock XR hub?

I I run the Baja Designs Analog on my XR600R it's calibrated for a 21" front wheel though. I've had it on my XRR for a few years now, it was so easy to install. You use the existing XR odometer drive cable and just one of existing bolts for the old odometer in the triple tree. It's been on there for 2000 miles of hard offroad riding and have had zero issues. Dime City has a similar one that might be closer in accuarcy for a 21" front wheel. I ran 17's on an XR650L for a few years, I can't remember what the difference is but if you're tracking mileage it's pretty simple math once you know the difference, I remember finding the % difference on SMJ years ago.

There were guys on Supermotojunkie.com doing bicycle speedometers years ago to get accurate speed and miles. If you're looking for real cheap and as accurate as possible.
  17. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the baja in the 21 set up. It is not a stock hub on the 17. I want to record all milage as well.
  18. blahwas

blahwas flow control

Oddometer:
    greasyfatman, why not use a bicycle speedo? Does not get cheaper than that...
  19. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one going to do some rigging cant get magnet close enough right now. If the enduro can record over all milage it would be worth it.
  20. mbfj40

mbfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone try the Dunlop Mutant tires on their street legal SMoto? I can't find a source here in the states without paying around $90 ea for shipping from the UK.