The Suzuki PE thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by sidetrack one, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    My ice bike is a 80 GN400 (yeah, I know this is the 2-strokes forum) that has been converted to look like a flattrack bike. I have always wondered if the twin shock aluminum swingarm of the PE series would fit into the frame on the GN400. That would give me a lighter rear end and longer wheelbase. Plus it'd be a cool adaptation to the ol' GN. Anybody know the width of the aluminum swingarm at the front pivot on the PE series?
  2. philip kyhn

philip kyhn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 400cc is on its rims. Slooooooow progress. PE400.jpg
    Pezz_gs and sidetrack one like this.
  3. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    I have a 1979 PE250N frame

Looking at steering head bearings and trying to find the dimensions.

I know from removing the ball races the OD is 48mm

Anyone know the bearing ID on the steering stem?

I dont have the triple trees to measure

48mm is a bit of an odd size

Im fitting a GT200E twin engine for a project bike.

Tried the 175 frame but too many mods to make it all fit

[​IMG]
    sidetrack one likes this.
  4. pkboxer

pkboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since this thread woke back up, just asking.

Anyone with a PE (RS) 250 flywheel for 80-81 that they'd sell?

Full ad in the flea market.

Aware of the alternatives, but bike is running perfectly with buddies flywheel - But he wants it back :(
  5. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    OK, since this is a "PE" focused thread, here's this...

Dirtbike magazine did an expose on the PE 250, to experiment with various gasoline to oil ratios, to discover the most horsepower. They did this back in the late 1970's. Thinking that "less oil is better" for making power, I was WRONG.
    They went from a fat ratio of 16:1 to 50:1.
    What struck me is that the results were expressed as "almost a perfect bell curve." Turns out the best number they dyno'd was about 25:1. Above that= lose power. Below that= lose power. Odd as I thought, a cooler charge should result in more power. Up until that piece, I never considered the oil as a combustible that can be used to propel a vehicle via spark. Anyway, that all I got (altho, I did race an RM 125, back in 1980 (or so.)
  6. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    Hey PE dudes, I buy PE parts if anyone has leftover, WORKING or rebuildable stuff. Of course that includes bodywork as well. Thanks
  7. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 82 PE175 that is in reasonable shape.
    The rear shock doesn't have any dampening at all.
    Is dampening adjustable? I Havnt looked to see if there is a adjusting knob on it.
    It does have a remote gas canister thingy.
    Are these shocks rebuildable?
    Also needs the forward swing arm chain slider wear guide thingy. Top of it is missing and chain is rubbing on the swing arm up by pivot. Ebay?
    thanks, rj
  8. alpha.eightMG

alpha.eightMG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check with Works Enduro Rider, Drew Smith up there hooked me up with a PE shock a few years back. He may be able to rebuild them as well.
    CJBDRdude likes this.
  9. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    What are the stock number of teeth for the counter shaft and rear sprockets that came with a new 82 PE175z. Thanks
  10. divotdm

divotdm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rjmorel likes this.
  11. shoom

shoom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I'm hoping to buy a 81 400 from a friend. I'm pretty sure these are almost a 79 / '80 RM400 but for a few minor differences.
    The information on the web is very scant.. but that's why we're in to vintage motos, as we are sadomasochists through and through! on the race track and off
    I'm curious to know whether the engine is the same as the RM . I wonder if the cylinder barrel has different porting than the RM as if the PE has tamer port timing, than maybe the RM cylinder might be an easy upgrade! (that is if it fits) . I'm betting the stator / ignition assembly is different and runs a different advance curve. but that can be dealt with (hopefully) easily with bolt ons.
    I know the pipe is the same.
    I just want a cheap vintage mx machine like many
  12. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Any one know if the front plastic chain slide can be installed without removing the swingarm or does the swingarm need to come off on PEs and RMs? thanks
  13. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    Drew Smith set me up with these Ohlins
    DSCF1974.JPG
    these Ohlins
    sidetrack one, tommyg and rjmorel like this.
  14. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    I contacted Drew and he said he can rebuild them no problem. Oh yah.
    In the intern I bought a 2nd used shock off Ebay .
    And since one of my character faults is I like to take things apart to see how they work I'm attempting to clean this one up inside and out, change oil and install it w/o the reservoir just to hold rear end up reasonably.
    Have a 1/8" pipe plug in where the remote hose would go.
    Does anyone know how to remove the dust seal cap off the shock body . Pressed on or threaded? It has a pin on one side that looks like it keeps it from unthreading?
    I thought I would put the ebay shock on while the original one was being rebuilt so I can ride the bike and see what else needs attention.
    What weight oil goes in these? I was just going to put in some ATF to ride around on while fixing other things on bike.
    thanks
  15. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    fork2.jpg
    Anyone know what is the little 1/8" hole for in the top leg rib just above the axle hole? Seen it on 82,83 PE and RM so it must be from the factory. I can barely see it in the pic of the PE 2 posts above this one by the "T" in "motosport" sticker.
  16. Cowboy Don

Cowboy Don Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking for an old 2-stroke enduro to play around with, something to have some fun on dirt roads and trails, and that I don't have to fuss over too much. I've got a Norton commando, which keeps me busy enough, and a modern Gas Gas 300 for serious off-road performance, so I "needed" something to fill the gap.
    Originally I was hoping to find an early TS185, but every one I found was trashed, and then this 1981 PE175 popped up for sale. It was a bit out of the budget I'd set for myself but I had a chat with the guy and he brought the price down. Once I got it home I found it was in better condition than I expected, a quick inspection leads me to think it's mostly unmolested and had an easy life.
    These are road legal in Australia, so I just need to wire up some lights and go through the process of getting a license plate. Hopefully the wiring is straightforward. I've had an NOS Preston Petty headlight for 15 years waiting for a bike like this. Unfortunately the brake cable guides on the triples are in the way, but I'll see if I can work something out. All in all, I'm fairly happy with my acquisition!

61679666_10161829057915026_4012404034706079744_o.jpg
    sidetrack one, wfrpalm and CJBDRdude like this.
  17. srx6

srx6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a URL to referenced article on PE400 ignition rotor magnet polarities and locations? I recently acquired a machine with 2 of 3 magnets missing and both primary & lighting coils will need a re-wind. I'd rather not buy an aftermarket ignition system for $500+ so looking for rebuild tips and tricks.

I'd also like help cross-referencing compatible replacement parts (looking for magneto cover, rear axle, right-hand-side rear axle spacer, side stand). Perhaps these are uniquely 1980-81 PE250/PE400.....perhaps some parts were also used on other models/years? Thanks
  18. Cowboy Don

Cowboy Don Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi SRX6,

Not sure if what you is in here, but this link is about as comprehensive as it gets with PE’s
    https://onedrive.live.com/?id=407D7EF0965D3991!1086&cid=407D7EF0965D3991

19. srx6

srx6 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'll take a look at the link you provided
  20. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    1982 PE175 question? there is a black hose attached to the cases on left hand side between carb and reed valve area. Kinda like on the old CCI oil injected motors. is this just a crankcase vent or something else? Other end goes up under seat not connecting to anything. Thanks, Rob