1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Suzuki PE thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by sidetrack one, Jan 18, 2013.

1. chArj_Himalayan

chArj_Himalayan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    howdy all, question to you PE nerds.

I am thinking about getting one, and I know absolutely nothing about these. I would like to use this bike from technical tight riding to flat-tracking. I am new to the Suzuki world and don't know if this would be a good buy for me. My main concerns are around the availability of parts for the bike since I intend on using it for standard trail riding, plus flat-tracking.... things will break, will I be able to find, cranks, bearings, pistons, reed valves etc... ? I do not necessarily want to have to to wait around for something to show up on Ebay/Craigslist in case I break something and need it fixed in a week...

Appreciate your insight on this! I am oddly attracted to these bikes and am trying to decide between this or a good ol XR250R. (Should have never sold my XR.. )
  2. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Anchor point for safety wire?
  3. Spikester300

Spikester300 Roll Tide!

Oddometer:
    The PE400 engine is not a RM400 engine at all, check the piston bore diameters to see the differences.
  4. Chuck77

Chuck77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FYI
    There is a Suzuki PE Internet Discussion Group and email list on the Yahoo Groups website,and it is filled with a huge wealth of PE information, both discussions, and uploaded files, manuals, etc.
    Yahoo just announced that as of October 28th, no more Yahoo Groups information will be saved to their servers, and in December, all of the information will be forever deleted....

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PEmotorcycles/

Yahoo Groups Demise announcement:
    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN31010.html

I'm not sure if anyone who is a member of the PE Yahoo Group has any web hosting background, but it would be a shame for all of the files there and all of the archived discussion information to be lost forever.

If anyone here has any ideas to help transplant that information somewhere else to preserve it, please speak up!

Sincerely,

Chuck Lambert
    '77 Suzuki PE250B resto-mod
  5. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    Chuck, we have a huge FB page with most of the Yahoo group members. Enduro Suzuki PE. I'm one of the administrators . Much of the info will be transferred and we have ongoing input and info being added on our FB page. Almost 2000 members as well. You're welcome to join.
  6. Chuck77

Chuck77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy $#!+, 2000 members?!?
    I quit Facebook a long time ago but thought about rejoining again just for Facebook marketplace access, since craigslist is in decline due to FB marketplace.

The sad thing is however, that Facebook is sooooo drastically inferior in functionality over a website+forum format, & also FB marketplace is soooo drastically inferior to Craigslist and Craigslist-specific search engines.

The only thing good about Facebook for these uses is it's traffic volume and readership. Facebook's engineers design it to ve a compulsory addictive thing, and have succeeded, so everyone (except for a large faction of young hip people nowadays) and their brother and mother and grandmother even have facebook...

Facebook for a group like a vintage motorcycle discussion forum is so vastly inferior to even a yahoo group in terms of information format and accessibility, but just gets the nod today due to "convenience" since everyone is already socially glued to it anyway.

A lot of the core members of the PE Yahoo Group are helping to create what should have happened a decade ago, a dedicated PE Forum. The posts and files will all be migrated to this eventually, abd it will be easily searchable for all archived content, instead of the facebook method of "it's not in the current feed of the past 100 messages, so I'll just ask the same question again for the 199th time and see if anyone is watching that has an answer" typical facebook tactic...

Yeah I'm not a big fan if FB bit I will probably reactivate my account at some point soon due to everyone abandoning the higher degree of functionality previously used in favor of the convenience of their social networking app for info thats better archived in a forum format...

Hopefully people will realize this at some point before Facebook dies like MySpace, and starts putting all of this wealth of knowledge back into the forums or a better alternative...

Sorry to highlight the negatives so much, but due to the addictive convenience built-in to FB, the barebones Facebook Group and Marketplace formats are not going to take any hit in popularity from just this... I'm hoping that people who are seeking better information sources will realize eventually that Forums are much more beneficial than a Facebook fan page format, & start posting their info back into the easily referenceable/searchable forum format once again.
    You may see me on the FB PE page at some point anyway... Tough to fight the numbers...but I'll be trying to stick to the superior forum format regardless... Works better for everything else.

Thanks for the invite regardless.

Sincerely,

Chuck in Columbus, OH USA
  7. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, all,

I'm working on what I believe is an '83 PE175 for my brother. It seems to have spark at high RPMs (turning motor over with a drill via countershaft sprocket) but not at low RPMs. So, I'm thinking that the low RPM circuit within the CDI has failed. I haven't yet tested the CDI per the manual, but will be this weekend.

For now, I'm doing a bit of digging for replacement CDIs and have a question: are the earlier models (77-81) interchangeable with the 82/83/84s? They look different externally, but looking at the wiring diagrams from the Clymer manual (earlier) and Suzuki manual (later), they seem to have all the same connections and wire colors.

Anyone got any comments? Sources?

Thanks,

Kirk

IMG_4352.JPG
    sidetrack one and Bowler like this.
  8. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I've done quite a bit more.

I don't know where I heard the bit about "high rpm" vs. "low rpm" - it looks (from Internet learning) like the stator windings are just the usual "trigger coil" and "charging coil" setup. The one coil "charges" the CDI, the other coil "triggers" the CDI when to discharge into the ignition coil for spark.

The stock CDI box tests 'bad' according to the Suzuki test table in the manual. Some opens where there should be continuity, some continuity where there should be opens, etc. With it hooked up and spinning the motor with a drill, I get zero spark.

Picked up a generic Chinese 6-pin CDI box, just for grins. Wired up with jumpers (trigger, charging, output to ignition coil, ground) and I get spark, but only at pretty high rpms. Low rpms (as in, with the kick starter) gets nothing.

Stator winding resistances are not 'exactly' what the Suzuki book says: both coils read ~230 ohms, instead of one being 200~260 ohms and the other being 20~30 ohms. Each of them puts out ~75-80 volts AC when spinning the motor with the drill, so I'm thinking they're OK, but I cannot find any output spec, just the resistance spec.

I cannot get the damn flywheel off. Puller and huge slide hammer and it just will not budge! Maybe I'm just too much of a wuss. :D Also, it looks like there isn't a key in the key slot, so I'm thinking something's wrong there...

Thoughts / comments?

Thanks,

Kirk
  9. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Bowler

Bowler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want some good info on CDI ignition, I suggest Rex Speedshop, in this link they have a few guides on how to test ignition. They helped me with my Yamaha SR500 ignition (also CDI), which had a faulty high speed pick-up and a low speed source coil.
    (I am not affiliated with them, but the owner, Marcus Rex, is very active on the SR500 forum and is very helpful :) )

They don't list PE CDI's at the moment, but I think they can make them for you.
  11. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    I've been doing a sympathetic resto on my '77. Tires, all bearings, chain, plastic resto, carb, cables, fork rebuild etc. I know, thats a 78 front number guard...

Just waiting on seat cover to get custom foam (cant find 77 foam) and rear fender. Would like to find original fender as the repops (like the side panels) dont seem to match color well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chuck Roll, sidetrack one and Bowler like this.
  12. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    I am considering getting a PE.

Trying to decide between a 250 or 175. The 175'es seem to be the most common. What is the difference like?
  13. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    My third motorcyle was a 1978 PE250, bought it new while in college. I made it street legal and rode it everywhere. My brother in law had a Honda 250 2 stroke, we would ride those bikes through the woods from UT to ID, get some fuel at Bear Lake, dump in some 2 stroke oil at the gas station and ride back over the mtns.

I still remember the dead fall in the spring, that we would wheelie over on the trails. I found the value of a plastic tank, when the bike and I slid on the skid plate side ways down a tree that was across the trail. I smacked the tank so hard on the next tree that the tank was dented in about 3 inches. Pushed the plastic out and the tank never leaked a drop, try that with the old metal tanks!

It was a blast, I rode it for years trouble free. Moved to AZ for graduate school and the bike was stolen from my frt porch during the night.

I have often thought about the light weight trouble free miles I put on that bike and still miss it today.

I keep telling my boys that a good 250 is a nice sized bike to learn to ride on. My first two bikes were road bikes and I can't say I was that great of a rider until the PE 250 and I took to the hills and learned a few things together!
    Chuck Roll, aptbldr and Cowboy Don like this.
  14. robbC

robbC n00b

Oddometer:
    love my 78 175 PE , I do a bit of flat tracking with it and a lot of enduro riding .
    Im in Australia and parts rant too bad for engine rebuilds but some parts are definetly chicken lips in the body and frame sections .
    Its great for enduros but just not quite pokey enough for flat tracing , Im chasing a 250 to flat track with doesn't have to be pretty just stops , starts and goes left.
    Im fortunate to be able to road register it here in Oz too which is great to get too and from the bush.
    Much fun bikes , easy to work on , can be a bit temperamental at times , but that goes with two strokes I suppose , my 4 stroke flat tracker is far easier to set up and rides the same all day the PE can have its moments
  15. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    1982 PE175 with full floater suspension. Anyone ever lowered one? I'm 5'6" 62yo with degenerative disk disease in my back. I want to lower bike by shortening the rear struts and moving forks up triple clamps. Maybe shaving seat also. At my age I will probably never use half the suspension travel it has and to be able to get a foot on the ground would be way more usable to me just putsing around. thanks
  16. cdahl383

cdahl383 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love this thread, lots of great info in here! Here's a couple pics of my 78 Suzuki PE250... Top one is from this fall and the bottom one is from about 10 years ago. Bought it in 2008, sold it in 2009, and bought it back from the same guy I sold it to last year in 2019 haha!

4C82BA91-E595-4288-8D2B-2DAC9CE1E99B.JPG

IMG_8340.JPG
    sidetrack one likes this.
  17. cdahl383

cdahl383 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found some good parts for my bike over the past month or so, mostly on Ebay. New kickstarter gear, stock airbox with all the hardware (lid, snap ring, filter cage, etc), clutch assembly, odometer and bracket, front number plate, and a few misc carb parts.

Bike is currently in the shop getting new main bearings and crank seals. The top end is in good shape. Looking forward to riding it this spring!

IMG_8816.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

IMG_8847.JPG

IMG_8848.JPG
  18. cdahl383

cdahl383 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a set of reproduction side plastics as I thought the originals were shot. I tried sanding them down and they turned out decent, but they're still kind of rough. I can't seem to get any shine back in them, just a small sheen. Maybe I need to wet sand them more with a higher grit like 1000-1500 grit and then buff out more with a wheel or something?

IMG_8810.jpg

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg IMG_8814.JPG IMG_8815.JPG
  19. cdahl383

cdahl383 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up my engine from the bike shop. All new bottom and top end. Crank no longer has any play, all new bearings and seals. Going to paint everything up and bring it back to him for final assembly. Also found an odometer and number plate that I'll install on the bike once I get it back home.

Got a new front tire to put on, going to put some new brakes on it and get the lights wired up and working again.

Coming together nicely!

IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg
    mrsdnf likes this.
  20. cdahl383

cdahl383 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the engine painted up this weekend! Going back to the shop later this week...

IMG_9321.JPG

IMG_9323.JPG

IMG_9291.JPG

IMG_9300.jpg

IMG_9338.JPG
    Cowboy Don, Bowler and mrsdnf like this.