The Suzuki PE thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by sidetrack one, Jan 18, 2013.

1. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    bump
  2. LC4nicator

LC4nicator Certified Wino

Oddometer:
    G'day Guys,
    just found this thread through a friend of mine.
    I am currently restoring a 1981 PE 400 I bought for $150 late last year.
    It was pretty well abused but I managed to get it running.
    Have done a fair bit so far including fitting some later model RM125 forks & triples onto the original PE head stem....this also gives me the advantage of a front disk brake to compliment the 43mm dia forks.
    Will post up pictures when I get some time but in the meantime here's what she looked like before starting the resto.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a vid of her running after some carb cleaning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Eby9oNs6s&list=UUQBj8vjqJZthpGQswt1tVPQ&feature=c4-overview
  3. CJBDRdude

Oddometer:
    lookin good LC4n.. keep the photos coming:D
  4. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Solid hit to that rear rim!:eek1
  5. CJBDRdude

Oddometer:
    Is that kick lever stuck down?
  6. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, i know a fair bit about the PE's , mostly 80-82 250 and 400'S as they are the models i have

www.motoduro.co.uk
    http://www.anchakandsons.com/peparts.html

have a fair few parts for the PE

also someone asked about ignitions earlier

you can get new modern ones here

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7227/7227dcmain.htm

I am helping Motoduro reproduce some plastic parts and so far helped by supplying a front plate to copy which worked out well. We want to make the plastic chain guard in a better black plastic but are struggling to find a good sample.

Another friend and i also want to get the rubber chain flap made i urethane too.

Good to see you discovereed Lukes skydrive

Also i help manage this group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PEmotorcycles/info

you are all welcome to join. The layout is not so good since yahoo updated but its still a good place to meet other PE owners and find out more info
  7. CJBDRdude

Oddometer:
    If you're reproducing plastic parts, the 82-84 correct front fender could be an item to do. It was unique to these models and the 85 DR250. A bit different from the 84 and up RMs and 81 and down PEs. Its a sought after, but very hard to locate part. Even the Suzuki parts warehouses have it listed as discontinued. DC plastics has a weird, smaller version that looks like it belongs on an 80cc bike and the color is way off too.
  8. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok i will metion that to Motoduro. He wants to do the TX rear fender too but is still looking for good sample. The colour he has had the headlight parts done in is very, very good and matches current production PE plastics still made pretty much 99% perfect. It also matches some NOS plastics from 80's i have very well too. far , far better than DC plastics pop riveted thing and the fit and finish on these parts is very good. the old RM/PE plastics did vary slightly from year to year and they are not all the same shade but this repro stuff is a good overall match for all of theml It is slightly transparent though and passes more light than original stuff. We would like to try and fix it before much larger items like fenders are done though but it might not be possible and this may have to be a small compromise Its not so much an issue on headlight shells though but might be on fenders. It was really hard just to get the colour as good as it is now though and it took several goes,

Half my post is missing from above so i tried to fix it up
  9. CJBDRdude

Oddometer:
    If any of the rear fenders from 1981 up (T through Z models) were reproduced I'm sure it would be a big win with PE owners. I've purchased many aftermarket plastics for my bikes and I'm surprised that there's not a lot of good repro stuff available. Like I mentioned, the front fenders for the full floater model 175s. The only copy around is DC plastics and its not that close to the original. Looks like Motoduro sells DC stuff too. DC is good, but not if you want a real oem looking copy. I'm reproducing PE graphics and may try some other items as well. :D
  10. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes motoduro has been selling some DC stuff and fibreglass stuff from a guy in Belgium. He does not exactly endorse or recommend the DC stuff though and simply has it to offer an option for people who don't care what the fit and finish is like. He even told me that the DC front plate looks like the arch has been cut out by a 5yr old kid with with scisors or something. The repro he has now thats was injection molded from one of my original plates is miles better and even has the part numbers molded in.

I am still waiting on a chain guard to arrive from a friend to see if it will be good enough to take a mold from.
  11. CJBDRdude

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for an NOS front fender for a 82-84 PE 175 and a front numberplate for a 77 PE 250. Anybody????
  12. CJBDRdude

Oddometer:
    nothing new on the PE thread here. :cry
  13. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    I picked up another 250 T on the weekend:clap, will post pics when I get a chance. May be doing the resto on this one:evil
  14. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    This old dunger was at a local bike show on Sun day
    [​IMG]
    Certainly nothing to look at, but it did sport the ultra rare original multi tool, well half of it!
    [​IMG]
  15. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    would that bike happen to have the original chain tensioner on it if possible id like to see what it looks like mines compactly missing
  16. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1980 never had a tensioner. Only had a guide.
    you can see what it looks like on alpha-sports.com or any other websites with suzuki online parts. Also if you have joined the yahoo group, there are CAD drawings of the chain guide plates that one of our members did, all done so you can make new plates from aluminium. 80 model has 2 rollers, 81 has 1 roller 1 nylon block and 82 has all nylon blocks. There should be plenty of photos in the gallery section on the Yahoo group site. Don't forget to check out th FAQ page. Most answers can be obtained there. Looked at some of my chain guides the otherday, they are all totally trashed from chain rubbing so i think i am going to have to make some from alloy too.

I had one of those PE tools comming a few months ago but the damn thing got lost in the mail from USA. Had wrong post code on it. Could not believe it. It had the 12mm spanner bit the plug socket was broken off but i could have welded it back on. So i am still looking too.
  17. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    Refer post #33, I have pics of chainguide there:deal
  18. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  19. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i found the schematics for the tensoner online but it dosent make scence to me to many parts... i may just make a guide for it that is once i figure out why no spark now that i put it back together lol, here it sits so far [​IMG] its been a part a long time but new crank seals and bearings and it rolles over much nicer now,
  20. sidetrack one

Oddometer: