The Suzuki PE thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by sidetrack one, Jan 18, 2013.

1. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow that is alot of good info, i may try to make the guide and a multi tool after i figure out why i dont have spark
  2. CJBDRdude

CJBDRdude Ridin'offroadCJ

Oddometer:
    New dilemma with my 79 175. The side stand and center stand work together, but I can't install the bash plate with the center stand on. :cry
  3. kaws3

kaws3 n00b

Oddometer:
    :puke1i picked up a pretty rough pe 250 cheep would like to get it going. is the fly wheel key supposed tobe offset , or is mine sheered? . it runs terrible and kicks back sometimes when starting. and what triggers the cdi. i dont see any interupt in the magnets inside the flywheel. thanks for any help!!
  4. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have you had the flywheel off? mine has 4 large magnents in it that make up the whole inside of the flywheel? and my key was solind not ofsett
  5. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We went over that on the PE forum a few years ago. Its all done by the magnets and the polarity ins which way they are postioned. Its sort of complicated but you can get an idea by positioning a directional compass near the magnets. From memory thers on magnet thats reversed and thats gives the trigger point. I would not try to worry about how it works. If it works it works, just ride it!
  6. Tibbetsni

Tibbetsni n00b

Oddometer:
    I have an 80 PE 400 with a stator that disintegrated. One of the coils fell off and wrecked havok. The magnets on the fly wheel are tore up. I read somewhere, that the powerdynamo PE250 one will bolt up. http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/7227/7227acmain.htm Is that true?

I just want to get this bike back on the trail, so if anyone has an old stator I could buy, that would be great. None of the bike yards around here have any.

-Nick
  7. LWC3077

LWC3077 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes
  8. CJBDRdude

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any DG parts for PEs?
  9. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about a PE400 Swingarm?
  10. Mr. Carts

Oddometer:
    Could someone measure the length from the PE400 Alloy swing arm from the swingarm pivot to the stock shock mount and also to the center of the axle hole?

Thanks
  11. Mr. Carts

Oddometer:
    Anyone Have a PE400 swingarm they want to sell.
  12. george37

george37 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, a picture of my new old bike PE 175

[​IMG]
  13. george37

george37 n00b

Oddometer:
  14. george37

george37 n00b

Oddometer:
    A lot of restore work
    [​IMG]
  15. george37

george37 n00b

Oddometer:
  16. custmmc

custmmc Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I plan to race one of my 1980 PE400 at the Barber Vintage Festival this weekend. I will probably race the one with the blue seat. It has some of the factory race parts, and I don't want to risk damage to other bike which is unrestored and looks like new old stock.

Both bikes will be available for sale at location K3 in swap meet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Mr. Carts

Oddometer:
    Would you have an extra PE400 swing arm that you would like to sell?

If so please PM me.
    Thanks
  18. custmmc

custmmc Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I don't have an extra PE400 swingarm. Most of the extra parts I had were used to restore the two bikes in preparation for racing. Racing a PE400 has been a goal that was delayed for a three years, but I am about ready to move on to another project and sell the PE400s.

They did not sell at the Barber Vintage Festival this past weekend, but my advertisement was limited to the swap meet area, so everyone just wanted parts off the bikes.

I may end up parting one of them out, but not ready to do that yet. Just got everything together, so may ride them for a while so it doesn't feel like I wasted my time on the rebuild.

I got stranded trying to get to the race course ran out of time. I never made it through tech inspection and was still sorting things out when my race started. I did not get to race, but was asked to do a sweep lap. The Cross Country race course was a fun trail to ride, and the PE400 felt great on the somewhat tight and technical trail. This was really my first time to ride a PE400 on any trail and it was very informative. The engine produced huge power at low rpm and liked to be shifted early. Seemed like it would be easy to ride for a long time because it will not wear you out fighting an abrupt power delivery. The chassis and handling felt great with sharp turning on tight trails and predictable slides on the faster open parts of the trail. Plenty of power to wheelie over obstacles and climb hills. Felt like a great woods racer.

I hope to do lots more riding over the next few weeks.
  19. CJBDRdude

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a 77 PE 250 front number plate. Its unique to this model only. Anyone have one to sell?
  20. 9mm

9mm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah the good old days. About 1982 or 83. I used to ride a pe250. Did not have a trailer. I used to put it in the trunk of my Cutlass. Bike on tall metal milk crate. Drain gas tank. Remove front and rear tires. Remove fork tubes. Pick up what was left and put it in the trunk. Sleep in the backseat of the car.