The SWM RS650R It's finally here owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blackSP, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Huh, what, SWM 650 Enduro?

1. Yes, I want one of those, 630 lives!

137 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Not for me, no no no

25 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Geez Bigdiggity...patience, patience...It's not like there's zillions of SWM 650 owners out there and constantly on this forum to instantly answer your questions.
    :y0!
    Worth keeping in mind there's plenty of TE630 owners who've logged plenty of kms on them and since its the same engine as the SWM you can look for their common problems as a resource.
    Or as you said just go and buy a 690.
    :thumb
    Good detailed response by Mr Fielding too. Looked like an epic trip.
    Here's a fun TE 630 clip for you...
  2. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    I too had a left radiator leak and replaced under warranty. I wonder if they are a poor design as I have heard of a few cases of it happening.
  3. BigDiggity

BigDiggity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lee, I really appreciate your in depth reply and review!

It certainly sounds as if your adventure put the RS650R through its paces and a grueling test.

It says a lot, that after a 5000km trip like that and even after some niggles, that you wouldn't change the bike for anything else!

This has definitely pushed me a little closer to the SWM.

On a sidenote I'm delighted to hear the Tiger made it through, I used to have one myself and love those bikes.
  4. BigDiggity

BigDiggity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 sorry, you're absolutely right, I should have been more patient, too excited about my next bike/build.

Thanks for the video, very enjoyable and certainly shows it in a great light especially with all the owner's comments!

It appears that there's no major (trip-ending) common issues, will have a look at the TE630 resources too for info also :thumb

The main reason I'm considering the SWM over the 690 is obviously value, but first and foremost because of reliability. Having done a lot of reading on KTM forums I came across quite a few common issues (rocker arm bearing, fuel pump woes, battery and electrics, to a lesser extent clutch issues). No sign of that stuff on the RS/TE yet!
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's sounds like an epic trip, do you have a ride report? Maps? Did you guys did Pamir highway? How did it cope without bad fuel? Was Safari tank big enough to get between gas stations? No prob with clogged fuel filter?

According to SWM FB they now loctite subframe bolts.. Italian bike owners joke that every Italian bike should come with a bottle of Loctite; you are better off doing it before taking it to the joney.
    BigDiggity likes this.
  6. lee.s.fielding

lee.s.fielding Scared... But willing to try!

Oddometer:
    To tell you the truth - I believe that this too was a failure on my behalf! :-/ no warranty here to be fair.
    I unknowingly fitted the hose clamp bolt in the wrong position. This in time with constant vibrations from the conditions of the tracks rubbed against the radiator and pssssss....!
    Now I know better - lernt from my mistakes.

In the picture where we were replacing the camshaft bearing - if you look at the hose clamp you can see where the bolt head was already rubbing. If only we knew then that this would give us more memories a week later... :-D[​IMG]

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
  7. lee.s.fielding

Oddometer:
    No ride report just yet - too busy planning for the next trip mid January to the south side of the Atlas mountains in Morocco, Africa.

Yes we did the Pamir - results were the sheered subframe bolts... But I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing the Bartang valley instead. (but you do need 400+km of fuel capacity - and it's hard conditions)

The SWM really wasn't effected by the fuel too much. The lowest quality we had to take was 80 octane. Sure - at 4700 meters you had to be gentle with the throttle. But even the Tiger was 'pincking' with this fuel.

Safari tank is good for 600 km. Never a problem running low. We were the fuel tankers for our Tiger friend :-D

Regarding subframe and whatnot. I've actually ordered the SD steel subframe and will exchange it. You have extra support plates and double rear rack! Photo below of SD subframe details [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. lee.s.fielding

Oddometer:
    For sure RS again if we could!
    The RS and SM models are discontinued (at least here in Switzerland). Only the SD now!

Switzerland finally got the SD in last week. I went around to have a good look (aka strip apart as much as I was allowed :-D)

But at the end of the day - 20kg heavier (but 169+kg is still very good for a ADV tourer) and less ground clearance (under swung exhaust system) were the points I had to say "keep with RS as long as I can".
    The SD will be next with the current options out there.

Regarding other models - especially KTM.
    Parts are much more expensive and in some cases exclusive to the model. The the time proven 630/650 engine you can fixe things almost anywhere... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

FR700 and Cuttlefish like this.
  9. BigDiggity

BigDiggity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Superdual looks great and should be a great bike considering it is of the same pedigree.

Luckily there are still a few RS models in some of the dealerships over in the UK. Sounds like I need to go and check them out before they're gone!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Cuttlefish and lee.s.fielding like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback!

I just looked at google maps and Bartang road isn't there, but satellite imaging shows it running on northern side of the river. Also some side roads, and roads in different valleys. Did you guys have trouble getting local map with those marked? Do you recall where gas stations are?

I found this but not very detail. Looks like if you had time you could do a few loops:
    [​IMG]

Samples of what you see on satellite but not on the map:
    upload_2017-12-13_12-45-59.png
  11. BigDiggity

BigDiggity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you guys find the servicing?

I've read it's 3000mile/5000km service intervals... what do they involve? Is it something an amateur can do?

I have done oil changes etc but that's about it as I've never had a service heavy bike before.

12. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:

There's a metal screen filter to remove, clean and reinsert also... can't recall if he did it as well without watching the video.
    BigDiggity likes this.
  13. lee.s.fielding

Oddometer:
    Northern side... River crossings... South side... River crossing... etc. etc. etc.

We downloaded OSM maps and put them on the GARMIN - good enough.
    Track was made with the osm map - but honestly said, you can't really go wrong! The 'main' road is bad enough... If you were to go off on a side road you'll soon know about it.
    Can't attached GPX track!

We went up the valley. Reasoning - if it's high water at the valley beginning then you have to turn back and ride another 300 km!
    We did it in 3 days - 2 camps. But you can do it in 2 days.

Gas what...? :-D
    You MIGHT get something, but in general we didn't see any gas stations.

Attached images from Bartang.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ADV67, FR700, Anders- and 3 others like this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Darn! Now I need to figure out how to ship my bike overseas (or maybe just buy that SuperDual in EU and keep at your place he-he).

BTW if/when you get access to computer you can upload GPS track.

/Sorry for hijacking thread/
  15. AG421

AG421 Scared... But willing!

Oddometer:
    Good day fellow riders... it's me lee.s.fielding

Whilst trying to get my forum accounts sorted out on this here Tapatalkythingy I noticed that I incorrectly created a new inmate account - lee.s.fielding...

Now sorted myself out, I believe you will see me as user AG421.

Sorry for mucking you around!

cyclopathic likes this.
  16. AG421

Oddometer:
    We changed the oil and main filter after every 2500 km. Now don't go thinking that this becomes expensive - 'cos it's not!

OIL FILTER
    Here in Switzerland for the RS is around 10 SFR vs Triumphs 75 SFR.
    Sure the Tiger has a longer service intervals - but if you calculate that the Tiger is 7 x more expensive then: for the price of 1 Triumph filter you're going to do 17500km at a 2500 change intervals on the SWM!

OIL
    There's only 1.8 ltr in the RS.

Changing is easypeasy... Honestly.

And the air filter is soooooo easy to get too!
    Far unlike the Tiger... What a F nightmare!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rotax655 likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it Mefo explorer? How did you like them on the trip?
  18. AG421

Oddometer:
    Actually they are the Heidenau's: Scout K60.

I love them - got them on the Tiger 800xc too.

They were very reliable on the trip. Not one puncture and long life durability.
    As you may know - the Scouts have such a strong side wall that you can run them with well less than 1 bar!

Stability is good. Never once did I feel like things were sliding around. And in mud the profile clears itself well enough (but nothing like a full on mx profile).

In the sand they performed well too. I was more than happy. Others claimed that they don't have enough 'shovel' effect - but I came through each time.!?

At the end of the trip they were very cut up and some cracks/rips in the tread could be seen... but still good for the next trip to Morocco!
    You should see what condition of tyres they have there...
    8-/

~~~ Save the pork pies for later, get the sausage rolls while they're hot ~~~
  19. BigDiggity

BigDiggity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, thanks again for all the info and pics.

I really enjoy basic spannering, oil and filter changes etc so don't mind doing them before and after a trip, especially when they sound so handy!

I look forward to learning to do the more advanced servicing as I go.

What about valve checks and all the more demanding stuff? I presume it's much more regularly than the mainstream bikes?

Cheers

20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scout sidewalls only look tough until you try Mitas E07 Dakars, really . I am asking because neither of them nor Motoz would go on my bike without tubeless conversion. We had whole bike weight resting on kickstand and the bead still won't budge but it was on tubeless tire. BTW try E-07 Dakars they last longer than K60.. much longer.

How did you like Scout front? No directional stability issues? Going through Pamir you haven't wished for TKC80? TKC80 front/K60 rear is popular combo for this kind of riding.